2013 - 2014 Canucks

Jan. 18, 2014, 10:20 p.m.

I like Angry Canucks.

Jan. 18, 2014, 10:33 p.m.

Looks like Hartley's choice to push it by putting his 4th line on to start.

Thread killer

Jan. 18, 2014, 11:13 p.m.

PJ Stock was going full derp at 1st intermission and tried to continue on post game until Friedman cut him off :rocker:

Jan. 19, 2014, 7:40 a.m.

The one time I decide to casually miss the start of the game (on TV) and all hell breaks loose. I like it.

Shed head!

Jan. 19, 2014, 9:25 a.m.

Why would you start your 1st line against 5 goons? I don't get PJ Stock's self righteous outrage. 8 NHL seasons on left wing, 243 NHL games, 6 career goals, 21 assists, 542 penalty minutes, 67 fights.

Jan. 19, 2014, 10:16 a.m.

Stock is an idiot, no coach would do what he said they should have done. Calgary was clearly doing something dirty and Torts had to respond.

Jan. 19, 2014, 11:15 a.m.

Why would you start your 1st line against 5 goons?

Because your top guys have a strong probability of getting puck control off the draw, greatly outmatching the other team in skill and speed, generating scoring chances off the skill mismatch. When was the last time an enforcer fought(not Marchand sticking a Sedin) a teams star player? Ever notice that the superstars seem to only ever fight each other?

But yeah, getting into a pissing contest with the 3rd from last place team in the league, and squeezing out a shootout win, after getting steamrolled down south is smart hockey.

Whats impressive about Stocks career, (if we're going to just start throwing out stats) is the amount of PIMs he got in 2 seasons of the Q. Also the era of his junior and pro career, plus the area he played in wasn't conductive to(exclude QMJHL on this part) high scoring, wide open hockey

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 19, 2014, 11:40 a.m.

. When was the last time an enforcer fought(not Marchand sticking a Sedin) a teams star player?

Just a couple months ago Jon Scott went after Phil Kessel right off the draw. It happens. I thought Torts post game press comments were spot on.

Hartley doesn't have the courage to even own his actions. I know the NHL will suspend Torts for charging the Calgary dressing room, but seriously if they want these shenanigans out of the game, the fastest, most direct way to do so is slap Hartley with a few games as well.

Hartley put Torts in a no win situation - classic Kobayashi Maru.

Jan. 19, 2014, 12:22 p.m.

Because your top guys have a strong probability of getting puck control off the draw, greatly outmatching the other team in skill and speed, generating scoring chances off the skill mismatch. When was the last time an enforcer fought(not Marchand sticking a Sedin) a teams star player? Ever notice that the superstars seem to only ever fight each other?

But yeah, getting into a pissing contest with the 3rd from last place team in the league, and squeezing out a shootout win, after getting steamrolled down south is smart hockey.

Whats impressive about Stocks career, (if we're going to just start throwing out stats) is the amount of PIMs he got in 2 seasons of the Q. Also the era of his junior and pro career, plus the area he played in wasn't conductive to(exclude QMJHL on this part) high scoring, wide open hockey

I wouldn't say it's so much them fighting the top line. For whatever McGratten's role is in the NHL, he has a reputation for being a standup and honest guy. I don't believe for a second he would try to fight them. Brute force body checks from 240lb enforcers are also what you don't need coming at the top line though. I don't think Torts had a choice, it's not worth the risk of further injuring an already battered team that's just starting to get healthy again. I think the sideshow between periods could have been done without, but there seems to be a bit of history there. I thought it was intersting that Bieksa pulled Westgarth away from the new kid so he didn't have to face an NHL heavyweight plug on his first shift. The hockey message boards seem to be full of Bieksa haters for not fighting him, I never understand why he takes so much abuse for choosing to generally stick to fighting guys in his own weight class. No need to have a skilled, tough 210lb player proving himself by fighting 240lb pylons. The new kid did pretty well in the end anyways. Sucks about all the misconducts though.

Jan. 19, 2014, 1:30 p.m.

Ejections are there to stop the endless line brawls from happening. Probably people are upset since Bieska went Smid instead of who he lined up with off the draw. Oh well, all parties are to blame on that one. Im sure Flames would've put SOB out there instead of Smid if they wanted a line brawl. Anyway, easy way to get the plugs out of the game early on.

Im surprised Kassian doesn't get more icetime, since hes a spaz just like the coach. Thought he was going to get 10 after the hooking/diving call

Heres a fun fact that is related to this week, last time the Canucks gave up 9 goals in a game, someone wasn't able to play hockey ever again…

Jan. 19, 2014, 1:41 p.m.

Seems odd that Garrison got a game misconduct and Sestito didn't, especially since Garrison was somewhat avoiding a fight for the first bit.

Jan. 19, 2014, 2:02 p.m.

Seems odd that Garrison got a game misconduct and Sestito didn't, especially since Garrison was somewhat avoiding a fight for the first bit.

I think the way the rules are written, first guys to fight get fighting majors, any secondary fights get misconducts

Jan. 19, 2014, 2:49 p.m.

When was the last time an enforcer fought(not Marchand sticking a Sedin) a teams star player?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxxpfIQ7n6s
Classless shit teams make classless shit moves. Calgary, like the Sabres, fits the mold.

As DaveM said, you don't need to fight anyone to rattle them or take then out of the game physically or mentally. Any coach would be glad to trade an opponent's 1st liner for a penalty/misconduct/ejection of a sometime-4th liner on his own team.

Jan. 19, 2014, 3:48 p.m.

As DaveM said, you don't need to fight anyone to rattle them or take then out of the game physically or mentally. Any coach would be glad to trade an opponent's 1st liner for a penalty/misconduct/ejection of a sometime-4th liner on his own team.

Oh, wow! Thank you for explaining the game of hockey to me.

Did that linesman have a gopro on though?

Jan. 19, 2014, 3:57 p.m.

I think Torts was cranky because he effectively got out-coached. He got pushed into a no-win position from a team that had no business doing it. He (quite easily) rattled a team that they had no business getting a point off of. They'll probably put a statue of the guy in front of the Saddledome.