2013 - 2014 Canucks

Jan. 22, 2014, 3:07 p.m.

It was his first NHL game and his family flew out to watch him play. Torts said he regrets putting him out there for that in front of his family. Bieksa tried to spare the kid a fight right away. I haven't seen a comment from Lain yet though.

Have you seen Lain fight? Ask Blair Jones who was on the ice about Lain's abilities… Lain absolutely destroyed him in the AHL earlier this year.

As a tough guy, does he want to be known as the rookie that needed saving in his first game, or a kid who went toe to toe with an established big boy. He would have fought regardless in that game.

Just like Hartley, Torts is full of shit with his stories of why he did what he did.

Jan. 22, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

Ahh,
I tend to disagree….Torts matched Hartley's line up, he's straight up about that and explains…. The 4th line Canuck's said that Tort's told them to be cautious (or something like that) not to out right…..fight.
Hartley drew first blood in a disgraceful , unprofessional way…however it was entertaining

Jan. 22, 2014, 3:17 p.m.

Laine is not some fresh-faced kid from a Tim Hortons commercial … he is there for physical presence. He accumulated 111 penalty minutes in his last NCAA season (32 games). A "staggering amount" for the NCAA, according to Canucks Sports [HTML_REMOVED] Entertainment writer Tyson Giuriato.

Jan. 22, 2014, 3:34 p.m.

Have you seen Lain fight? Ask Blair Jones who was on the ice about Lain's abilities… Lain absolutely destroyed him in the AHL earlier this year.

As a tough guy, does he want to be known as the rookie that needed saving in his first game, or a kid who went toe to toe with an established big boy. He would have fought regardless in that game.

Just like Hartley, Torts is full of shit with his stories of why he did what he did.

I have seen Lain fight, but the AHL isn't the NHL and it was his first shift in his first game and in front of his family. I still stand by my thought that Bieksa did the right thing, and even Lain tapped him with his stick to say thanks in the circle.

Disagree on the Torts part though.

Ahh,
I tend to disagree….Torts matched Hartley's line up, he's straight up about that and explains…. The 4th line Canuck's said that Tort's told them to be cautious (or something like that) not to out right…..fight.
Hartley drew first blood in a disgraceful , unprofessional way…however it was entertaining

This. Totally.

Laine is not some fresh-faced kid from a Tim Hortons commercial … he is there for physical presence. He accumulated 111 penalty minutes in his last NCAA season (32 games). A "staggering amount" for the NCAA, according to Canucks Sports [HTML_REMOVED] Entertainment writer Tyson Giuriato.

:lol: that's quite a stat, but he's still an NHL rookie and he was quick to point out how big of a step it is from NCAA to AHL and AHL to NHL.

Jan. 22, 2014, 11:42 p.m.

Question for all the hockey pundits on here, what coach or player is going to say to the media "Yeah, we were told to drop the gloves first shift?" I'd wager anyone who did would likely have a plane ticket to the minors or back to the house they grew up in waiting for them.

Someone also explain how Smid is a "goon" with 14 pro fights in his career plus being an Olympian, and Bieska is an angel in all this with only 64 career pro fights?
Seems to go along with the Canucks and their "We didn't do anything wrong whining"

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 22, 2014, 11:53 p.m.

pretty obvious that Bieska gets picked on.

Jan. 23, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

pretty obvious that Bieska gets picked on.

Like how Don Cherry calls him Bieska all the time?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Jan. 23, 2014, 9:06 a.m.

Question for all the hockey pundits on here, what coach or player is going to say to the media "Yeah, we were told to drop the gloves first shift?" I'd wager anyone who did would likely have a plane ticket to the minors or back to the house they grew up in waiting for them.

Someone also explain how Smid is a "goon" with 14 pro fights in his career plus being an Olympian, and Bieska is an angel in all this with only 64 career pro fights?
Seems to go along with the Canucks and their "We didn't do anything wrong whining"

Show me the quote where someone said Bieksa is an angel…

Need another straw to grasp at?

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Jan. 23, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

Smid isn't a "goon", and may be an Olympian, but Bieksa is in another class as a (better) player. Both are Defenseman, both have virtually identical games played in the NHL but the comparison ends there … just look at their NHL career stats if you don't believe me

NHL Games Played
S:508
B:512

Goals
S:11
B:50

Assists
S:55
B:169

PIM
S:437
B:787

Lifetime P/M
S:-55
B:+35 !

Sources
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471222
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469598

Bieksa is a top-line NHL D-Man, Smid isn't - even in Edmonsuck. Bieksa is a blue-chip NHL defenceman who also plays with a physical edge. Euro guys have more of a reputation for cheap shots (deserved or not) rather than face-to-face intimidation. Bieksa may be feisty and physical, but in the NHL the title of "goon" is usually reserved for players whose sole contribution on the ice is to fight, hurt and intimidate. Bieksa probably wasn't considered for the Olympic team because his rough-and-tumble style of play is a liability in international hockey.

Jan. 23, 2014, 9:48 a.m.

Thanks for the neg reps GeoffG :lol: By the way, you spelled "semen" wrong.

Brian Burke sounds like he was hanging out with Rob Ford before he left Toronto.

Jan. 23, 2014, 9:58 a.m.

According to Burke, the Canucks started the brawl.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Burke+know+Canucks+started/9421232/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=twitter

[HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED]
“I’m not happy with the ($25,000) fine that coach Hartley received,” said Burke in the UToday story. “Especially since we all know the Canucks started it.”

[HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED]

I'm pretty sure that was intended as a bit of tongue in cheek humour, and to give the media something to blow out of proportion. He was successful.

Jan. 23, 2014, 10 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that was intended as a bit of tongue in cheek humour, and to give the media something to blow out of proportion. He was successful.

I have never known Burke to be humorous.

Jan. 23, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

Burke's a smart guy…he's taking the heat off the Weasel ….Hartley

As usual from Gillis….Nothing, did Mr Lazy even comment?

Jan. 23, 2014, 10:26 a.m.

Burke's a smart guy…he's taking the heat off the Weasel ….Hartley

As usual from Gillis….Nothing, did Mr Lazy even comment?

"We respect the decision made by the National Hockey League today to suspend John Tortorella for 15 days from Sunday, with no contact with the team for six games," Gillis said. "We would also like to acknowledge our organization's full support for John and we look forward to having him back behind the bench soon."

Jan. 23, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

^^^ thanks