2012/13 Snow tires thread (cars & trucks, merged thread)

Oct. 17, 2012, 9:11 p.m.

That's tragic. Cutting up perfectly good pow that way.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 17, 2012, 9:25 p.m.

Ford doesn't recommend chains on the f150.

Lol. Fuck it.

Oct. 17, 2012, 9:32 p.m.

Ford doesn't recommend chains on the f150.

Just guessing a bit here, but I'll bet that just about every manufacturer doesn't recommend chains on their vehicles. I mean, if you think about it, it's pretty easy for someone who's lazy and/or stupid to install wrong or just not tight enough. Then you're looking at more than just potential body damage - could be damage to steering, suspension or even rip out a brake line.

So, a bit of ass covering by the manufacturers, imo.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 17, 2012, 10:02 p.m.

HAD a set of these.
http://vimeo.com/34647499

I wounder if it was purely a crime of opportunity on the side of the highway. or someone doing it out of spite, for the way they look and act towards other sledder and skiiers in that area.

Click the link in my post you quoted…

I'm guessing the thieves came prepared since they had an enclosed trailer, probably a compressor with air tools, a decent jack or two, and a way to transport the tracks once they were off.

Oct. 17, 2012, 10:18 p.m.

Been running the Wrangler Duratracs for a year now. Seem to be very good in the snow, a little better than BFG A/T ko's I think; slightly less clogging of the treads. It's hard to say going from worn tires of one brand to new ones on the other. Also went from 31"x10.5" to 285/75/R16 (~33") so the wider and taller increased snow performance as well. Didn't get much chance to do much of highway speeds in poor conditions last winter though.

I must say the Duratracs are quite radical off road. Much better all-around off roader than the BFGs. Not too sure about the sidewalls though. Pierced one with a pretty pathetic looking stick. It could have just been bad luck though.

Are they worth the price over the BFGs? That is yet to be decided. They look to be wearing a fair bit slower than the BFGs which is good. Went up to Load Range E with heavier rims which has very noticeably hurt the fuel mileage. But they look so much more badass and its not really a daily driver anymore anyways.

One thing I have to say IME is the Road Warranty and service quality at Fountain Tire (exclusive dealer for GoodYear) can be hit and miss depending on store, whereas the BFGs you can get at Costco with consistent top notch service at every location and a better Road Hazard Warranty.

can't get enough of that sodium benzoate…

Oct. 17, 2012, 10:28 p.m.

Debated for a while whether to buy a house (down payment) or get a set of those tracks and install a turbo and new winch on my truck (damn adulthood prevailed). I am wondering if anyone has any idea how those tracks perform in ungroomed snow? I would use it to access areas off of logging roads, but obviously dont have a full cat operation with trail grooming. I suspect it could be quite hazardous with the way ditches fill in. That and 100+ km of generally paved/partially snow covered driving just to get to the mountains would be a real pain. Probably not street legal either….

Oct. 18, 2012, 4:41 a.m.

Debated for a while whether to buy a house (down payment) or get a set of those tracks and install a turbo and new winch on my truck (damn adulthood prevailed). I am wondering if anyone has any idea how those tracks perform in ungroomed snow? I would use it to access areas off of logging roads, but obviously dont have a full cat operation with trail grooming. I suspect it could be quite hazardous with the way ditches fill in. That and 100+ km of generally paved/partially snow covered driving just to get to the mountains would be a real pain. Probably not street legal either….

why not just get a sled and a CFR rack ?

Oct. 18, 2012, 5:42 a.m.

Anyone used the Cooper Discoverer M+S?

HardTack was it you that raved about this cruising up and down the Sea to Sky in a work van?

Yeah, ran em on the lolvan for 4 years or so. never had any traction issues,even up to red heather parking lot in a foot of fresh (which was probably a bad idea in hindsight)

This was on a front wheel drive minivan.

Nowadays, I run studded Hakkas on the coalburner and studded nitto HDgrapplers on the work truck

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 18, 2012, 10:09 a.m.

exactly ^^^ GF called the shop about some steel rims for her 4-runer and they did' nt call back so I went down to do it in person and I could see that they were too fucking busy… the race is on to beat winter cuz it always snows to valley floor by halloween

Oct. 18, 2012, 10:42 a.m.

I live in snow country ( and ice!- Fernie BC where it can snow more in one night than it does in Vancouver in an entire winter!) and ran Nokian WR's as my last tires on a GMC Jimmy 4WD. I knew the vehicle was in its' last couple of years and my summers were done, so I went with the WR's so I could go year-round with an all-weather tire that has the snowflake symbol. And it came warrantied for 80000km I think it was. Had no problems! Think it would be a good choice for Vancouver area with the occasional trip into the BC winter wonderland. Now I run Yokohama Geolanders in the winter and Goodyears in the summer on a GMC Sierra 4WD . Again, no problems- I would recommend the Geolanders as a decent winter tire. Going into my 3rd winter on them with tons of tread left.

We may not get much snow in the Lower Mainland, but when we do it is the slippiest goose shit imaginable and we have to dodge morons in BMWs with all seasons. You also hit this crap a lot somewhere between Vancouver and Whistler. We also get a lot of 2-3 degree and really wet weather, which from what I hear is also winter only tire weather. I have the snowflake on my BFGs and they are not good enough.

Oct. 18, 2012, 6:49 p.m.

We may not get much snow in the Lower Mainland, but when we do it is the slippiest goose shit imaginable and we have to dodge morons in BMWs with all seasons. You also hit this crap a lot somewhere between Vancouver and Whistler. We also get a lot of 2-3 degree and really wet weather, which from what I hear is also winter only tire weather. I have the snowflake on my BFGs and they are not good enough.

yeah thanks Chup, i know, I lived in Vancouver for 20 years

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Oct. 18, 2012, 7:20 p.m.

why not just get a sled and a CFR rack ?

because then I don't have my own cat! cruising up the mountain, pumping the tunes, 4 doors, 5 seats, nice and warm, drinking a soda, you get the picture. For about the same price as a good used sled, sounds pretty good. I just don't want to end up with a truck stuck as fuck on a mountain for 5 months!

Oct. 19, 2012, 12:31 p.m.

Nitrogen, yes or no?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 19, 2012, 12:40 p.m.

Nitrogen, yes or no?

If you are racing, sure.

For street use, I'm not so sure.

Oct. 19, 2012, 1:04 p.m.

If you are racing, sure.

For street use, I'm not so sure.

yer. pretty sure it's a waste of money for street applications.