2012/13 Snow tires thread (cars & trucks, merged thread)

Oct. 16, 2012, 5:55 p.m.

I have a new ride and am wondering whether it's worth the extra $150-200 to equip it with the Nokian Haks vs. a budget tire like the nordic. Like I say, the nordic's have been great so far…

The one set of Nokians (Q-rated Hak) I bought new had amazing traction, but wore out quite quickly. That was about 10 years ago; there are now more Nokian models available here.

flickr

Oct. 16, 2012, 7:32 p.m.

LOL! How does the gear ratio or what gear your are in have any effect on how your vehicle will corner or stop?

Engine braking for maintaining or decreasing speed.

Lugging when climbing.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 16, 2012, 9:09 p.m.

I've had the Goodyear Nordic's on my Civic for 3 seasons and they've been great. Cheap and squishy. They're wearing well and I think I could get another 2 or 3 season's out of them easy.

The Goodyear Nordic?

Or _Goodyear Nordic Winter _?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 16, 2012, 9:25 p.m.

after moving across the rockies to BC I replaced my XIce-2 (that were good in Alberta…cold, dry, patches of packed snow/ice) with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT. I found the XIce2 very sketchy in slushy snowy conditions as opposed to ice. The tread on the WRT2 allow to push more crap through. So far so good in the Kootenays. Might not apply to Vancouver as I have never driven there in winter

Oct. 16, 2012, 10:39 p.m.

I bought my first dedicated snow tires last year and ended up putting on 2300km in 2 weeks through the Kootenays and Shuswap - hit 20cm of snow from Creston all the way up to Golden, then it was completely dry unitl half way down the Duffy and then there was 4-6" of unplowed snow for 50km. Sure glad I bought the winters.

I bought the Hankook iPikes from a local shop (American made vs the Cdn tire Chinese rubber). The Nokian WRG2's I had on prior sucked sucked sucked in the snow. So, those all-season winters are a waste of money in my eyes.

The start of the snow on the Duffy - was a white knuckle drive

Oct. 16, 2012, 10:53 p.m.

My friend bought WGR2s for his Camry, and he said he's disappointed with the grip on Vancouver snowy/slippery roads. I was surprised as they are supposed to be good all-weather tires.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 17, 2012, 8:53 a.m.

The Goodyear Nordic?

Or _Goodyear Nordic Winter _?

Regular nordic.

Oct. 17, 2012, 9:24 a.m.

Saw the other thread and thought the men might want one too….

haha

Lets hear it. I love tires.

I like the Good Year Wranglers but have never run them. I currently have the typical BFG AT ko's. I don't like them much but they were cheap and fresh.

I am in Squamish and the Garibaldi Park road is my new winter nemesis is my Prerunner….some wild rides going up man o man! Even scarier coming down…

c

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Oct. 17, 2012, 9:28 a.m.

I live in snow country ( and ice!- Fernie BC where it can snow more in one night than it does in Vancouver in an entire winter!) and ran Nokian WR's as my last tires on a GMC Jimmy 4WD. I knew the vehicle was in its' last couple of years and my summers were done, so I went with the WR's so I could go year-round with an all-weather tire that has the snowflake symbol. And it came warrantied for 80000km I think it was. Had no problems! Think it would be a good choice for Vancouver area with the occasional trip into the BC winter wonderland. Now I run Yokohama Geolanders in the winter and Goodyears in the summer on a GMC Sierra 4WD . Again, no problems- I would recommend the Geolanders as a decent winter tire. Going into my 3rd winter on them with tons of tread left.

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Oct. 17, 2012, 9:40 a.m.

real men don't need chains on tires.

Oct. 17, 2012, 9:46 a.m.

No fuel mileage hit there, no way, nuh uh …

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 17, 2012, 9:55 a.m.

For those of us who are active in the winter tire threads of years gone by and have a memory, please stop pointing out the differences between up there and down here.

We get it. Everyone up there is acclimatized to it b/c they have to be and will learn fast if they dont.

well several people have said "you don't need snow tires in Vancover" which is arguable and really its about money because all snow tire thread are about money not performance not actually whether you really need snow tires … the question is in essence "whats the least I can skate (don't miss the pun) by on?"

and so I argue the point because thats what we do in a forum and so if one person stays out of the ditch after reading my POV its worth y'all having to listen

OTOH if you said "I won't pay for real snow tires cuz I am a cheap fuck" that is self explanatory so I will just agree with you in fact no comment is needed

BC should just make snow tires mandatory like quebec, it will mean a huge $$ for the tire shops, accidents will go down , more people will get to work … an economic boost

edit:If the BC gov ever grows a pair and saves y'all from yourself by making snow tires mandatory, get your new snow tires ASAP because what happened when snow tires became the law in quebec was a run on snow tires in quebec and a shortage in the rest of canada, fortunatley that year I ordered my new snow tires (haks of course ) in early september and I got my tires

Oct. 17, 2012, 10:38 a.m.

I would sure like to try that white truck. I wonder how well they actually work?

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Oct. 17, 2012, 11:13 a.m.

What Wranglers are you looking at? I'm currently eying up the Wrangler Duratracs for my new tires. Anyone like these for winter traction?

Oct. 17, 2012, 11:18 a.m.

No fuel mileage hit there, no way, nuh uh …

Kn.

There is probably a reason the blue Chevy has a fuel tank the size of the truck box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sideshow, there are 2 versions of the BFG AT KO, depending on the size some have the winter snowflake symbol and some don't. I'm not sure why this is though.

I'm running the same tires, when they were new they worked well but as the tread has worn they aren't as good as they used to be (which makes sense).

The van came with a set of lug chains but I've never used them as I haven't been in conditions that warranted it yet. (They must weigh 50lbs)