2012/13 Snow tires thread (cars & trucks, merged thread)

Oct. 15, 2012, 11:08 p.m.

why are you all butt hurt about snow tires wearing too fast … I bet you guys reuse yer condoms as well ?

Oct. 16, 2012, 9:33 a.m.

Not only do they not wear that fast, but you save your other tires wear when they are stored. The softer rubber grips wet roads better and they will evacuate water better and thus be less prone to hydroplaning. It is not just snow that will make shitty all season tires keep you in the garage, but frosty days too. Get proper winter tires. You won't be sorry. Oh and while your at it, get a good snow brush and brush ALL THE SNOW OFF YOUR CAR INCLUDING THE ROOF, HOOD, TRUNK AND GOD DAMN LIGHTS. Because that snow blows onto the following vehicles, people can't see your god damn lights and when your nice warm interior melts that roof snow a bit, that layer of water will allow that snow to flow onto your windshield and those wipers that are going might break. Seen it happen more than once.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 16, 2012, 10:01 a.m.

aww, damn. (prior to reading) thought you had just dropped the wad [HTML_REMOVED] dropped / re-shod the car already.

where cabin?

Oct. 16, 2012, 10:07 a.m.

why are you all butt hurt about snow tires wearing too fast … I bet you guys reuse yer condoms as well ?

no doubt. people seem to have no problem buying gummybear bike tires (for $75-100 a pop) that disappear within a few days at whistler, but winter rubber (that may very well save your life) that will last 2-3 years (if you drive hard / lots) for $25 more is an issue?

Oct. 16, 2012, 10:47 a.m.

After growing up in Van and moving north 15 yrs ago my observation is

You can go anywhere up north and people big/small/old/tall/cool/uncool/white/chinese/east indian, are living normal lives when it snows , they drive to work, they go to temple, they go to church, they go to the mall, they go out for dinner all the time in weather that regularly shuts down Vancover and costs millions in lost wages/productivity/accidents

granted there are more reasons down there vs up here like slipperier snow/ no snow removal equipment/lack of experiance

but the over whelming problem is that one cheap fuck with bad tires spinning his wheels/stuck up ahead of you

Oct. 16, 2012, 10:57 a.m.

aww, damn. (prior to reading) thought you had just dropped the wad [HTML_REMOVED] dropped / re-shod the car already.

where cabin?

Just dreaming. White wheels would be hard to keep on top of. Best stick to grey with those ones. Cabin is on Slocan Lake.

flickr

Oct. 16, 2012, noon

most of us don't actually drive in snow more than 10 days a winter.

Oct. 16, 2012, 2:26 p.m.

most of us don't actually drive in snow more than 10 days a winter.

and when you do the snow is WAY more slippery than what we drive in every day cuz zero degree snow sucks bigtime … which is why you need snow tires in Vancover

-15C might seem crazy cold to some of you but -15C in PeeG is reasonable, its a pretty dry cold so the traction is great, you don't need to wear too many layers , cars still start pretty well, its a great temp to harvest the fibre

-40 cars don't start and if they do maybe the heater can't keep up at highway speed, you need too many layers so nobody goes outside, the trucks and lumber processors don't really like it that cold BUT the traction is incredible which is good cuz you don't really want an accident at those temps

Oct. 16, 2012, 2:59 p.m.

After growing up in Van and moving north 15 yrs ago my observation is

You can go anywhere up north and people big/small/old/tall/cool/uncool/white/chinese/east indian, are living normal lives when it snows , they drive to work, they go to temple, they go to church, they go to the mall, they go out for dinner all the time in weather that regularly shuts down Vancover and costs millions in lost wages/productivity/accidents

For those of us who are active in the winter tire threads of years gone by and have a memory, please stop pointing out the differences between up there and down here.

We get it. Everyone up there is acclimatized to it b/c they have to be and will learn fast if they dont.

However, the one thing everyones missed that makes the 2nd biggest difference driving in the snow is knowing about gear ratios. If you know what you're doing with good all season tires on and know about D1 D2 [HTML_REMOVED] D3, then you may be able to get around just fine. Specially in a FWD.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Oct. 16, 2012, 3:08 p.m.

What would we do if we didn't rehash the same shit over and over and
gear ratio's give me a brake clearly you need me to repeat this whole thread over?

Oct. 16, 2012, 3:10 p.m.

gear ratio's give me a brake

lol - I get it - a brake.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 16, 2012, 3:21 p.m.

However, the one thing everyones missed that makes the 2nd biggest difference driving in the snow is knowing about gear ratios. If you know what you're doing with good all season tires on and know about D1 D2 [HTML_REMOVED] D3, then you may be able to get around just fine. Specially in a FWD.

LOL! How does the gear ratio or what gear your are in have any effect on how your vehicle will corner or stop?

Oct. 16, 2012, 4:19 p.m.

LOL! How does the gear ratio or what gear your are in have any effect on how your vehicle will corner or stop?

Good drivers can get BY on all seasons, but are cheap and lazy.

Smart drivers have two pairs of tires, one summer performance, one pure winter.

gear ratio does mean something, but not in the instance of shifting between 1, 2 , 3. More like my first gear in my truck is 4.5/1 which means it will handle snow and slow speed better than your car at 3/1 first gear…but let's not bother.

Driving in PG is jokingly easy, dry snow = summer tires. Down on the wet coast it's a lil diff.

Clunking is for retards.

Oct. 16, 2012, 4:44 p.m.

I've had the Goodyear Nordic's on my Civic for 3 seasons and they've been great. Cheap and squishy. They're wearing well and I think I could get another 2 or 3 season's out of them easy.

I have a new ride and am wondering whether it's worth the extra $150-200 to equip it with the Nokian Haks vs. a budget tire like the nordic. Like I say, the nordic's have been great so far…

Oct. 16, 2012, 5:11 p.m.

He just means that it can be important to gear down early on some slopes and other places instead of dragging the brakes. To a certain extent that is true. It is perhaps a better way to control ones speed but if you have shitty tires, you have shitty tires and driving in winter conditions of shitty tires is asking for trouble. And if you are considering a pair only for the front drive wheels, think again. Doing that might mean swapping ends when you enter a slick turn too fast and lift off the accelerator. Yee Haa spinorama.

I seem to be able to get 60 70 thousand kms on my winters.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.