2012/13 Snow tires thread (cars & trucks, merged thread)

Nov. 12, 2012, noon

I bought my winters from 1010tires. Good price and they were able to fit me in at the end of the day for installation, which was cheaper there than at other tire shops as well. $89.99 per tire came out to a hair under $500 installed.

Not bad. I think I'll install them myself as I'm up here and they're down there… But ya, prices seem reasonable. Certainly a lot better than the 'winter packages' that Open Road Audi is offering.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Nov. 12, 2012, 3:23 p.m.

I bought my winters from 1010tires. Good price and they were able to fit me in at the end of the day for installation, which was cheaper there than at other tire shops as well. $89.99 per tire came out to a hair under $500 installed.

I see now they've got an outlet just up from Open Road Audi. This'll work out great as my car needs to go in for servicing this coming week. Get 'er serviced, and get the new buns put on - all that and still $1000 less than the Audi Winter Deal…
:rave:

Nov. 12, 2012, 4:31 p.m.

I've heard good feedback on 1010 but never tried them. When I bought winters, I used TireRack and shipped to Pt Roberts.

Just checking 1010, I see their prices have come down from 2 years ago and they seem pretty competitive with TR prices. Might just have to give them a go next time round.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 12, 2012, 4:50 p.m.

Looked for it somewhat casually this morning…

Anyway, just asking for shout outs to 1010tires.com Are they any good? Needing outfit my A4 with wheels/rubber and their pricing seems pretty good.

Any intel would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

DS

Pricing can be very good.

They push their house brands pretty hard, even if the tire is crap. Know what you want before buying there.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 12, 2012, 4:52 p.m.

^Ford/Mazda have some great pricing on snow tires. In recent years I have used a heavy duty truck tire facility for my car tires - they flog the small car tires for cheap to get the big truck business. These guys often beat my nephew's prices, who manages an OK Tire

Nov. 13, 2012, 8:40 a.m.

Pricing can be very good.

They push their house brands pretty hard, even if the tire is crap. Know what you want before buying there.

I see that. Nevertheless, it's also easy to pull out the usual suspects (Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli) and do direct comparos with the other houses. In this case, they're very solid. I'm pleased.

Nov. 13, 2012, 8:48 a.m.

Update, really happy with the Grabber AT2's I put on in early October. Ive had the chance to drive in some early winter slop, some fresh snow and some compact on the highway and I'm impressed. The true story will be mid-winter see how they perform on ice.

Nov. 13, 2012, 8:53 a.m.

I just threw some Nokian Hakka Rs on the wife's Rav4. I've run Hanook, Michelling, Bridgestone, and General winter tires. So far, I'm really digging the Hakkas and am kicking myself for not ponying up and paying for them years ago.

Thanks to some early season storms I've had a chance to drive them in just about everything - from slush to glare ice.

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

I see that. Nevertheless, it's also easy to pull out the usual suspects (Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli) and do direct comparos with the other houses. In this case, they're very solid. I'm pleased.

I bought a set of tires from them for a new car. The tires made a "womp womp" sound, like they were out of round. Heard it after a few blocks, and went back. They had a guy ride in the car, and he went back and told the manager it sounded like a problem with the car's suspension. I told them the stock tires were fine, and they just kept on about it being the car. Told them to put the stock tires back on and compare, and they wouldn't. It was a bit of a pain to get them to replace the tires.

I've used them (Volco) a few times in the last 25 years, and you need to be wary.

Last set of tires I bought I went to Kal Tire and they gave me slightly better pricing. Even some dealerships (as mentioned in a previous post) will match pricing.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

I see TireRack.com is a US based business. Are there any other direct Canadian competitors to 1010?

Thanks for any assistance.

DS

Nov. 13, 2012, 9:44 a.m.

Other than actual shops, I'm not aware of Cdn based online retailers other than 1010. I always give Kal Tire a shot whenever I need tires - they often have a good lower-priced option. They are rarely the cheapest but by far the best service IMO.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 13, 2012, 11:02 a.m.

I see TireRack.com is a US based business. Are there any other direct Canadian competitors to 1010?

DS

I've used Discounttire.com in the US. You can browse prices online then they have a number of installation shops in the Bellingham/Seattle area. Really good service and pricing. I'd much rather give the business to either a Canadian based shop or a local shop but the price difference is hard to pass up.

Nov. 13, 2012, 11:21 a.m.

DS

1010Tires is the local online shop.

Discount Tire is good, and they're in Bellingham (for those in the lower mainland).

Tirerack will ship to Canada, and the total cost can be less than pricing from a shop here.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

Nov. 13, 2012, 11:35 a.m.

Anyone that has done the 1010 and had the Volco store install know what the exact install and enviro fee's are? I didn't see it on the site anywhere.

Nov. 13, 2012, 11:54 a.m.

Anyone that has done the 1010 and had the Volco store install know what the exact install and enviro fee's are? I didn't see it on the site anywhere.

I don't have the receipt handy but $89.99 per tire became $124 after tax and install, including valve stems.

flickr