2012/13 Snow tires thread (cars & trucks, merged thread)

Oct. 14, 2012, 3:14 p.m.

Running the Goodyear Nordic on the Civic:
http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/winter-tires/product/0041771P/goodyear-nordic-/

Running the BFG Winter Slalom on the Escape:
http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/winter-tires/product/0080511P/bfgoodrich-winter-slalom-ksi/

Both work well for the snow [HTML_REMOVED] ice conditions we get here in the Lower Mainland, on the Hope Princeton, Snoqualmie Pass, Sunshine Coast [HTML_REMOVED] Sea to Sky. (I did chain up to get up to the Tetrahedron Provincial Park as the FSR was a skating rink.)

Both of them are mounted on steel rims. I'd buy both tires again.

Oct. 14, 2012, 3:47 p.m.

My wife has Hankook snow tires. Icebear, I think. They're an H rated tire. Wallow more than a summer tire, but the ride is actually pretty good/quiet with decent turn-in and excellent grip. They have worked well for our type of snow conditions. Not a deep snow tire but work well in a few inches of snow, slippery conditions and rain. Have been used for 4 winters and still have a least 50% tread left.

The iPike look like a good deal.

If you're going to be driving in serious conditions, get some chains to go with these tires, or get some really good snow tires.

The single tire solution might work around here, but not where the weather gets really bad. I have all-weather tires, and getting around in our winters is fine, but I wouldn't want to go through deep snow or icy surfaces with a tire that's not designed specifically for this conditions.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 14, 2012, 4:44 p.m.

I'm not getting winter tires…we don't need them in the Lower Mainland and they destroy a car fuel effiency. That being said we do need more than all seasons. The Hankook tire is Winter severe snow rated (it has the mountain snow flake symbol).

actualy the winter driving in the GVRD is way worse than up north in say Prince George for a variety of reasons starting with the fact that snow at or around zero C is extremely slippery, many hills and choke points where it only takes one guy who is too cheap to buy snow tires to stop everybody, complete lack of adequate snow removal equipment, a huge work force that is too cheap to buy snow tires trying to commute

not many Vancoverites know how to drive in snow but that is probably the lesser of all reasons

go to a P-lot in prince george and look at what rubber the northerners run you will find studded snowies on everything from a 4x4 PU to a 15 yr old shitbox sunfire

at -30 at the xc area in PeeG I can walk UP the hills with my glide waxed skate skis because snow at -30 actualy has a lot of traction while at sea level in vancover … very slippery

I have used nothing but studded Haks for [HTML_REMOVED]10yrs

Oct. 14, 2012, 8:44 p.m.

I have those hankook 4s tires on my impreza and they were awesome last winter
I originally bought them because I had no room to store another set of tires/wheels but I'm pretty happy with them

Oct. 14, 2012, 8:45 p.m.

hankook iPike.

But the Hakkapeliitta R….

has

Purified oils (that) eliminate carcinogens that harm the environment

:crazy:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 14, 2012, 9:15 p.m.

Winter tires are required on all mountain highways from October 1 through April 30. Or carry chains.

FYP

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Oct. 14, 2012, 9:21 p.m.

I'm not getting winter tires…we don't need them in the Lower Mainland and they destroy a car fuel effiency.

Then you are an idiot and should be castrated to help improve the gene pool.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Oct. 14, 2012, 9:23 p.m.

But the Hakkapeliitta R….

has
:crazy:

well to be fair the only reason i didnt get the nokian was becasue it wasn't available in the correct size for the truck i had at the time. I was still happy with the performance of the hankooks

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 14, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

I have those hankook 4s tires on my impreza and they were awesome last winter
I originally bought them because I had no room to store another set of tires/wheels but I'm pretty happy with them

Review of the 4s:
Awesome tires
Date: June 13, 2012
Vehicle:2011 Lamborghini Gallardo lp570-4 superleggera
"On my lambo, i have these tires and they dont let me drift. i have to floor it if i want even a 2 second drift. these are highly recommended"

well to be fair the only reason i didnt get the nokian was becasue it wasn't available in the correct size for the truck i had at the time. I was still happy with the performance of the hankooks

I think the Nokians are a tad more expensive.

I'm using Michelin LTX MS/2 tires. Pretty good grip climbing steep and slippery/snowy roads. OK stopping in snow. Tried them on packed snow (pretty much ice) with a layer of water on top, and it was like teflon on teflon. Chains or super grippy tires with studs is the only hope for that kind of condition.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 14, 2012, 10:42 p.m.

Still can't find 12" snow tires for my festiva :(

Oct. 14, 2012, 10:46 p.m.

Q: What's a pirate's favourite tire size?

A: ARRRR 12.

flickr

Oct. 15, 2012, 8:41 a.m.

Then you are an idiot and should be castrated to help improve the gene pool.

Ya, because not driving for a day or two is soooooo unintelligent.

Thanks for the help guys, looks like an all weather tire is what I need.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Oct. 15, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

My wife has Hankook snow tires. Icebear, I think. They're an H rated tire. Wallow more than a summer tire, but the ride is actually pretty good/quiet with decent turn-in and excellent grip. They have worked well for our type of snow conditions. Not a deep snow tire but work well in a few inches of snow, slippery conditions and rain. Have been used for 4 winters and still have a least 50% tread left.

The iPike look like a good deal.

If you're going to be driving in serious conditions, get some chains to go with these tires, or get some really good snow tires.

The single tire solution might work around here, but not where the weather gets really bad. I have all-weather tires, and getting around in our winters is fine, but I wouldn't want to go through deep snow or icy surfaces with a tire that's not designed specifically for this conditions.

+1 the iPike our or on their third winter lots of tread left, doesn't seem to affect gas mileage on highway much and perform great on some snow / ice. (we don't do masses of KMs though)

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Oct. 15, 2012, 10:06 a.m.

Review of the 4s:
Awesome tires
Date: June 13, 2012
Vehicle:2011 Lamborghini Gallardo lp570-4 superleggera
"On my lambo, i have these tires and they dont let me drift. i have to floor it if i want even a 2 second drift. these are highly recommended"

I think the Nokians are a tad more expensive.

I'm using Michelin LTX MS/2 tires. Pretty good grip climbing steep and slippery/snowy roads. OK stopping in snow. Tried them on packed snow (pretty much ice) with a layer of water on top, and it was like teflon on teflon. Chains or super grippy tires with studs is the only hope for that kind of condition.

are you making fun of me

Oct. 15, 2012, 10:21 a.m.

Went form a BF goodrich allterrain (Winter rated with the mountain and snow flake) to the NokianHakkapeliitta R (a true winter specific tire).

I was beyond shocked at the difference. The all terrains were fine, but the improvement in grip on snow and ice was fantastic.

I highly recommend going with some real winter tires if you spend a decent amount of time drive in poor conditions.