15bn from Big Tobacco

June 1, 2015, 5:53 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/tobacco-companies-ordered-to-pay-15b-in-damages-1.3095963

Historic settlement in Quebec. 15 billion in damages awarded.
Damn Notley.

June 1, 2015, 6:23 p.m.

Why isn't tobacco banned?

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

June 1, 2015, 6:33 p.m.

Why isn't tobacco banned?

How's that working for marijuana and all the rest of its colleagues?

Education works.

June 1, 2015, 8:10 p.m.

Damn Notley.

I lol'd.

June 1, 2015, 8:47 p.m.

I don't get this. The dangers of smoking have known for 50 years. It was one of the top news stories of 1964. See "News and Events of 1964" under "Science"

http://www.infoplease.com/year/1964.html

So for 50 years, it has been known and scientifically shown that a smoking habit is bad for you. If you are a dummy and smoke, what do you expect? It IS going to affect your health. The report I saw said that the tobacco companies will drag the case out for decades and by then most of the claimants will be dead. And rightly so!

June 1, 2015, 8:52 p.m.

If you are a dummy and smoke, what do you expect? It IS going to affect your health. The report I saw said that the tobacco company will drag the case out for decades and by then most of the claimants will be dead.

Most of Germany are dummies, including my cousin who's a lawyer and his girlfriend who's a neurosurgeon. Education doesn't work either. Two packs a day, each of them.

June 1, 2015, 9:05 p.m.

Most of Germany are dummies, including my cousin who's a lawyer and his girlfriend who's a neurosurgeon. Education doesn't work either. Two packs a day, each of them.

Well, at least they will leave a couple of cool-looking corpses. Had a family member who died of lung cancer. Lifetime heavy smoker. Metastasized from his lungs to just about everwhere else. Was quite the sight.

June 2, 2015, 4:47 a.m.

I don't get this. The dangers of smoking have known for 50 years. It was one of the top news stories of 1964. See "News and Events of 1964" under "Science"

http://www.infoplease.com/year/1964.html

So for 50 years, it has been known and scientifically shown that a smoking habit is bad for you. If you are a dummy and smoke, what do you expect? It IS going to affect your health. The report I saw said that the tobacco companies will drag the case out for decades and by then most of the claimants will be dead. And rightly so!

My grandma likes to tell the story of the day that the front page of the paper reported that the US Surgeon General said smoking can kill you. Great grandpa looked shocked at the front page, proclaimed that anyone who smokes is a fool, and promptly threw out the pack of cigarettes in his pocket and quit cold turkey.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

June 2, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

So who wants to start the BC based anti tobacco group and collect? Could embezzle a few million in the process. I think it's interesting the ruling comes at the same time as Whistler and Beijing ban it outright.

Or do we go after the evils of alcohol next.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

June 2, 2015, 12:24 p.m.

Whistler didn't ban it. Intrawest banned it on all properties they own and operate.

June 2, 2015, 12:35 p.m.

Whistler didn't ban it. Intrawest banned it on all properties they own and operate.

WB is not Intrawest anymore

June 2, 2015, 1:01 p.m.

WB is not Intrawest anymore

Exactly. That banning really only affects the employee's who work for them. The few tourists I see smoking are in the village, out of ITWs reach.

June 2, 2015, 1:14 p.m.

Exactly. That banning really only affects the employee's who work for them. The few tourists I see smoking are in the village, out of ITWs reach.

The ban is on smoking of any kind (tobacco, marijuana, e-cigarettes and vaporizers) on property owned by Whistler Blackcomb Resorts. It applies to both employees and guests.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/smokefree/

June 2, 2015, 1:20 p.m.

The ban is on smoking of any kind (tobacco, marijuana, e-cigarettes and vaporizers) on property owned by Whistler Blackcomb Resorts. It applies to both employees and guests.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/smokefree/

Yes. The point I was making is summed up in the first sentence after the bullet points.

June 2, 2015, 1:23 p.m.

How's that working for marijuana and all the rest of its colleagues?

Education works.

Tobacco does so little for you in terms of recreation that I really can't see people paying black market prices for tobacco unless they are already addicted. It takes a reasonable amount of effort to go from trying smoking to full fledged addiction, and I really can't see many people doing that if it's not as easy as bumming a smoke when you're drinking here and there until you just can't help yourself anymore. I believe illegal tobacco would, over time, pretty much eliminate addiction.