Winter Training

Oct. 4, 2006, 5:44 p.m.

so whats it to be rollers or resistance trainers. rollers can be tricky to say the least and resistance trainers are hard on the bikes(so i've been told). any first hand experience you guys can pass along.

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Oct. 4, 2006, 7:29 p.m.

Road bike with fenders.

Oct. 4, 2006, 9:01 p.m.

Road bike with fenders.

And a good resistant trainer. CycleOps fluid 2 is what I use. And a few trips a week to the Gym never hurts.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Oct. 4, 2006, 9:11 p.m.

resistance trainers are hard on the bikes(so i've been told).

You can easily solve this problem by not putting your Colnago or Serotta on your trainer. Try to pick up a cheap "trainer" bike.

I prefer resistance trainers personally, since it gives me a chance to watch my TdF tapes.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Oct. 5, 2006, 9:40 a.m.

Rollers,I use my good bike and put an old tire on the rear,it tends to square up your tire.

Oct. 5, 2006, 5:25 p.m.

rollers are great for balance. Put in a winter on them and you'll be riding arrow-straight lines on the road come spring. Yes they require some concentration and yes you can ride on the road most of the winter, but you get a quick workout - if you have an hour to use for a 'ride', you really get an hour. No time wasted on getting dressed, waiting for everyone to get to the appointed meeting spot, or post-ride lattes. Rollers and resistance trainers are great for people with tight time frames, especially folks with kids.

Edit - if you want to do intervals and higher-resistance work, rollers may not be for you - takes a lot of skill to get out of the saddle and hammer it on rollers.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Oct. 5, 2006, 5:50 p.m.

What's a windtrainer?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 5, 2006, 8:03 p.m.

either way, set up as many fans as you can get your hands on. riding on rollers and trainers inside makes you sweat worse than you ever thought possible.

Chirp

Oct. 5, 2006, 10:32 p.m.

What's a windtrainer?

Windtrainers are what people used to use before magnetic resistance and fluid resistance units became popular. They have a reputation for being noisy.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Oct. 19, 2006, 8:29 p.m.

What's a windtrainer?

I used one to rehab knee surgery. They are noisy, and the one I used (borrowed,a Vetta) didn't have the same rolling momentum as riding a real bike (probably due to the fact there is no gyroscoping/momentum on the front end of the bike). I'd rather ride a real bike:

I ride a cyclocross bike in winter (just picked up my new Jake the Snake frame today). Trainers are so boooooorrrrring. D.

Oct. 22, 2006, 7:08 p.m.

i bought a ultra mag trainer at le bicycletta and its pretty nice it was 200 bucks so im not complaining its a sweet way to start the morining hop on the bike and do a 30 min ride before i leave for school

brokezors

Oct. 22, 2006, 7:47 p.m.

I got the cycleops Electronic + Trainer.. heart monitor all the workouts are on my screen.. u ride with 3d terrain :) ive been riding the tour de france mostly.. its very nice all powered by your own bike :)

Has Cadince also

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Oct. 22, 2006, 8:42 p.m.

what is the retail on that badboy ross? or do we even want to know

brokezors

Oct. 22, 2006, 9:20 p.m.

umm I think its a bit over 800 or 900…. the software is dope.. u have hill climb intervals latic acid tests… fitness test… Heart rate controled rides… veledome ect… tons!

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Oct. 23, 2006, 12:55 p.m.

Fun with rollers:

http://teamchainreaction.com/video/hungerford/