Victoria bike shops

Dec. 11, 2009, 11:22 a.m.

Are there any interesting roadie-oriented shops that I should check out in Victoria?

Not really looking for anything specific, but just to check out.

Also, any places with a good selection of used (road) parts? Something like NS Sports Swap or Recycled Cycles.

Suggestion on coffee shops, breakfast cafes and reasonably priced grub are also welcomed. We will be staying downtown. Thanks.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 11, 2009, 11:28 a.m.

Trek Bikes Victoria

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Dec. 11, 2009, 2:47 p.m.

fort street cycles, pretty hard core road/tri shop

Dec. 11, 2009, 3:06 p.m.

Ugh…stay away from Fort Street Cycles…seriously, while they may be roadie oriented…just…ugh…so many horror stories.

Trek Bikes is a good shop and run by the president of the local trail society…SIMBS…and a good guy. I would go there. Oak Bay bikes is OK too. To tell the truth…I really don't know of any roadie specialty shops…don't keep my eyes out for those…hah.

Used stuff…well the only used bike place I can think of is Bicylcitis (http://bicycle-itis.com/), but I don't know if they do much road stuff.

As for cafe's…The Blue Fox and Shine Cafe for breaky is ALWAYS a good choice…but if you go on the weekend be prepared to wait (Shine is my favourite). If you want pretty good sushi for a good price Shizen is great…right down next to the gates to china town. Across the street is the QV, pretty cheap decent breaky's and lunches in there.

Dec. 11, 2009, 3:19 p.m.

Awesome, keep the suggestions coming.

Reps all around for replies.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:10 p.m.

If you needed road bike repair or a bike fit I would recomend this place. Pretty sure it is thin on stock though and a bit out of the way

http://www.straightupcycles.ca/

Coffee shops

Habit by Mec, Mole beside it is owned by one of the Chef's for team Canada at the olympics

2% Jazz is pretty good coffee

Food

Zambri's for lunch is a great option, its pricey for dinner.

Enjoy

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:22 p.m.

if you're wandering around behind the legislature Cup a Joe in James Bay(on Menzies across from Thrifty's) is usually pretty good for breakfasts…

for a lunch or dinner right downtown….Prime (corner of Courtney and Gordon)

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:59 p.m.

Oak Bay Bikes was the shop I always went to in Victoria. They're a good group and have been around a long time. Not roadie specialty though. They do all types :P

For breaky places, as said the Blue Fox and Shine are both good. I also like John's Place. Be prepared to wait at all 3 though. I've seen the Blue Fox have a 20+ minute wait on a weekday.

Bicycles!

Dec. 11, 2009, 5:19 p.m.

Who is the best roaster in Victoria (medium or light roast)?

Dec. 11, 2009, 5:22 p.m.

Uh, they have an Artigiano now, so yeah….that for you coffee fix. 2nd the zambri's and Oak Bay bikes recommendations.

NSMBA member.

Dec. 11, 2009, 7:30 p.m.

if you're looking for bike shops and coffee shops, you're coming to the right place. I think there is one of each on every corner…

Yes, OBB/Trek/Straight Up are the best for performance stuff. Check out Fairfield, Capital City and North Park for more commuter/urban/recumbent/local flair.

Discovery Coffee [HTML_REMOVED] Ferris's are good spots that haven't been mentioned yet.

Dec. 13, 2009, 1:01 a.m.

John's Place has the distinction of serving me the worst cup of coffee I've ever had. Their food was delicious, but I've heard some horror stories about their cleanliness.

Habit is good coffee if you don't mind the thousands of hipsters, Moka House is good for studying because it's open late. I've heard good things about Street Level too.

snorris has everything prettymuch spot on in terms of road shops.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Dec. 13, 2009, 9 a.m.

Oak Bay Bikes will have the most/best selection of road stuff. There's a pretty big road following there.

Dec. 14, 2009, 6:45 p.m.

Oak Bay Bikes will have the most/best selection of road stuff. There's a pretty big road following there.

Now if only they could get some decent staff… :P

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.