Triathlon or road bike

Sept. 5, 2012, 9:04 a.m.

I started out in bike transition, grabbing bikes from the riders and running them back to the rack. Did that for 6 hours then went on to gear bag return until 1am. Gave me a great view of the whole transition process (all for nothing though as who knows if it will be the same now that WTC/ironman is gone), and it was interesting seeing how everyone else is setup. The disturbing part was the number of people that didnt follow their nutrition plans. Lots of bikes comming in with tons of gels still taped on. They were the ones that were walking around like drunks. Almost 1 in 20 were like that.

Eric

Sept. 5, 2012, 12:02 p.m.

The disturbing part was the number of people that didnt follow their nutrition plans. Lots of bikes comming in with tons of gels still taped on. They were the ones that were walking around like drunks. Almost 1 in 20 were like that.

In the long course races I think far to often many only use Maltodextrin gels and drinks as fuel by athletes. Sounds good in theory but one has to understand that it is slow to pass through the gut wall. So while one thinks they are getting enough fuel they more likely are not.

It's interesting when you look at endurance events… IMC and say Western States 100. The fuelling is night and day. It shows me that tri geeks are way to ridgid about their fuelling. An ultra runner will hit an aid station and drink some coke, eat some chips, and some fluids and keep going. Triathlete at the same aid station won't touch anything other then water, gatorade, and bananas.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 6, 2012, 7:44 a.m.

Maybe the difference is in 10 hours, you can plan it just right enough to survive and have decent performance but at 24 hours, you just plain flat out have to eat? Either that or the average age grouper in a tri is is looking for anyone to sell him an edge to make it easier and will buy into anything that doesnt take more effort (there is no easy way to buy your way through an ultra/100 miler). Either way, it just seems that after spending an entire year getting ready for 1 event, you would know what you need to survive that distance and stick to it on race day.

My guts are pretty resilient and when I do my 100k rides or long runs I just grab whatever I feel like. Some days is trail mix and dates, when I am lazy or in a hurry or looking for convenience, it is gel packs and chews and I just make sure I eat something every 20 minutes or so right from the start (30 if it is a gel, 40 if it is a crappy tasting gel)and I do alright. I know come next year, I will bring what I am used to and follow the same plan, but dont think I could survive on gels for 10 hours either.

In talking with the nice ladies from the med tent who found me running home after the race and gave me a lift, lots of people (average joes) that stopped taking in anything (including water) because their guts were in a knot. By the time they got to transition they were near passing out and didnt know why.

Eric

Sept. 6, 2012, 4:13 p.m.

Maybe the difference is in 10 hours, you can plan it just right enough to survive and have decent performance but at 24 hours, you just plain flat out have to eat? Either that or the average age grouper in a tri is is looking for anyone to sell him an edge to make it easier and will buy into anything that doesnt take more effort (there is no easy way to buy your way through an ultra/100 miler). Either way, it just seems that after spending an entire year getting ready for 1 event, you would know what you need to survive that distance and stick to it on race day.

My guts are pretty resilient and when I do my 100k rides or long runs I just grab whatever I feel like. Some days is trail mix and dates, when I am lazy or in a hurry or looking for convenience, it is gel packs and chews and I just make sure I eat something every 20 minutes or so right from the start (30 if it is a gel, 40 if it is a crappy tasting gel)and I do alright. I know come next year, I will bring what I am used to and follow the same plan, but dont think I could survive on gels for 10 hours either.

In talking with the nice ladies from the med tent who found me running home after the race and gave me a lift, lots of people (average joes) that stopped taking in anything (including water) because their guts were in a knot. By the time they got to transition they were near passing out and didnt know why.

I think what alot of people dismiss when it comes to IM races is what they should drink once they hit the run. Best hint is take a look at what Germans like Stadler where getting at aid stations… water and…. Coke. Funny how everyone who is an expert will tell you drinking flat coke at a race is bad bad. But as Macca figured out it's about the simplicity of the carbs. The simpler the carbs are once you are running the easier it is for it to get in the blood stream. And uses less blood to do so.

Great scene about 10 years ago at IMH where Macca had followed the Coke is bad philosphy. On the run course started cramping and such as his body wasn't able to process the accepted carbohydrate drink method. It was Normann Stadler who got Macca to drink the coke. And Macca shortly after felt better and went on to finish.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 6, 2012, 9:36 p.m.

Funny how everyone who is an expert will tell you drinking flat coke at a race is bad bad.

Seriously? They've been doing this in the pro peloton for years. And still do it to this day.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 6, 2012, 11:40 p.m.

Seriously? They've been doing this in the pro peloton for years. And still do it to this day.

Yep.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 7, 2012, 1:44 a.m.

Mixed coke and water was a crucial ingredient in my "ride stupid long road miles" program, but so was actual food. One bottle full of water, the other one with varying amounts of coke americano.

flickr

Sept. 7, 2012, 12:38 p.m.

It shows me that tri geeks are way to ridgid about their fuelling. An ultra runner will hit an aid station and drink some coke, eat some chips, and some fluids and keep going. Triathlete at the same aid station won't touch anything other then water, gatorade, and bananas.

It's a cultural thing, triathlon is all about equipment and details, wetsuits, bikes, nutrition plans, transitions where as ultra running about the big picture and simplicity, keep going until the finish with the minimal amount of equipment, well that's how I see it. Anyway who wouldn't want an excuse to eat this shit and watermelon with salt on.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Sept. 7, 2012, 6:37 p.m.

It's a cultural thing, triathlon is all about equipment and details, wetsuits, bikes, nutrition plans, transitions where as ultra running about the big picture and simplicity, keep going until the finish with the minimal amount of equipment, well that's how I see it. Anyway who wouldn't want an excuse to eat this shit and watermelon with salt on.

Funny thing, when I first got into tri back in 88 till 93 worried about all those details. And didn't race well. Got back into it in 2001, worried little about details and won my age group.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 11, 2012, 8:35 a.m.

I keep wondering if I actually put a structured effort in to training if I would do better or burnout and get worse. I seem to do so well at the moment given how sporadic and unstructured my "training" is (I run or ride to work, go for a long ride or run if I have time on the weekend, go for a swim if I can force myself into it). I just did an olympic at Cultus lake this past weekend. Out of 147, I was 44th on the swim (fastest swim yet by 9minutes, thank god for wetsuit), 6th on the bike (1:01 and some change, pr) and 15th on the run (44 minutes, pr). Put me 13th overall. I keep looking at my numbers and think "If I swam 3 days a week and followed some plan for my running, I would be in the top 3" but then I stop and think, can I really knock 10 minutes off my swim and 10 off my run?

Eric