Triathlon or road bike

May 21, 2012, 5:05 p.m.

Well, I've tried a few different road bikes from a few different shops so far and in a few different sizes. Cant really say anything jumped out at me as being "the one". TOday, for kicks, I tried out a Cervelo p1, 58cm triathlon bike. Since it was pissing rain outside it was only on the trainer and I will take it out on the road first before I pass judgment but, speaking as a person with back issues, it is infinitely more comfortable on my back than any of the road bikes. I can completely relax all the muscles in my back and just rest on the bones in my arms,, which is how I do it when I try to lean over to work on a car. Granted all the other bikes were on the road, not trainers so maybe things will change when I actually have to pedal over stuff and I was only on the trainer for a few minutes at a time then paused to make adjustments.
I was really hoping for the opposite to tell you the truth, now I am very conflicted to the point of forgetting it and sticking with my mtb + slicks for a few more months until something golden falls in my lap.

Eric

May 21, 2012, 6:40 p.m.

Sounds like you are focused on what you are losing comparing road to mtb. IMO for every thing you give up you gain back in other areas. There's a lot to be said for simply stepping out your front door and riding, it's immediate. The fitness aspect also can't be ignored. The transportation function road bikes provide is another big plus for me. Also it's pretty sweet to give the pedals a crank and let the bike sail as they will without the rolling resistance associated with knobbies and the mass of a big full suspension bike. Road is both easier on your body and your bike, your investment in equipment will not get thrashed so soon. I suppose I am not so much bothered by the harsh ride of a full rigid as I am older and that's the way I rode for the majority of my life. Don't know jack about triathlons, just felt like adding my 2 cents.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

May 21, 2012, 8:12 p.m.

Sounds like you are focused on what you are losing comparing road to mtb. IMO for every thing you give up you gain back in other areas. There's a lot to be said for simply stepping out your front door and riding, it's immediate. The fitness aspect also can't be ignored. The transportation function road bikes provide is another big plus for me. Also it's pretty sweet to give the pedals a crank and let the bike sail as they will without the rolling resistance associated with knobbies and the mass of a big full suspension bike. Road is both easier on your body and your bike, your investment in equipment will not get thrashed so soon. I suppose I am not so much bothered by the harsh ride of a full rigid as I am older and that's the way I rode for the majority of my life. Don't know jack about triathlons, just felt like adding my 2 cents.

I do agree I am having a hard time adjusting my thinking but make no mistake, I ride quite often. My commute to work is either running or riding (followed by a run after I get to work). Funny thing was I remember riding the shore on a fully rigid bike back in the day, but injured knees and injured back have made me soft. Is there anywhere that rents road bikes??

Eric

May 22, 2012, 11:02 a.m.

Lurch, your really not giving anything up. One benefit not mentioned of having a road bike is the change. Both mental and physically with having a different bike. Sure you still have to be the engine but there are differences.

Another is being having the option of what to ride that day is nice. Some day's I feel like it's a cross bike day and maybe tomorrow it's the mtb.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 22, 2012, 11:04 a.m.

Dammit, every time I leave tri it some how drags me back in.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 22, 2012, 9:48 p.m.

Oh and going German at the IM distance is not cool.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 23, 2012, 8:59 a.m.

Lurch.. your IM Canada race singlet has been chosen.

http://www.podiumtriathlete.com/store/tops/shut-legs-triathlon-jersey

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 23, 2012, 12:41 p.m.

That is actually pretty funny… and tempting.. until you get to the $60 part.

Eric

May 24, 2012, 9:10 a.m.

TOday, for kicks, I tried out a Cervelo p1, 58cm triathlon bike. Since it was pissing rain outside it was only on the trainer and I will take it out on the road first before I pass judgment but, speaking as a person with back issues, it is infinitely more comfortable on my back than any of the road bikes. I can completely relax all the muscles in my back and just rest on the bones in my arms,, which is how I do it when I try to lean over to work on a car.

I'm not gonna say "I told you so", but the P1 is a steal of a bike, even brand new. You might even be able to pick up a used one, or a clearance 2011 or 2010 year model and spend more of your budget on fitting and some handy accessories/upgrades.

May 24, 2012, 9:36 a.m.

I'm not gonna say "I told you so", but…

The things I said about fit on the first page of this thread fall exactly in line with your bad experience with test rides. Deal with a shop that is known for fit, pay them for their services, then find your bike and get said shop to make it work.

flickr

May 25, 2012, 7:28 a.m.

I'm not gonna say "I told you so", but…

The things I said about fit on the first page of this thread fall exactly in line with your bad experience with test rides. Deal with a shop that is known for fit, pay them for their services, then find your bike and get said shop to make it work.

Thing is, they all want you to bring your bike,,, small problem when you dont have one. SO you go to a shop, even one that sells an expensive fitting service, and they all want to sell you what they have, no one seems to really listen to what I am doing.
I did find the one shop where the guy didnt really care about selling me a bike, we just chatted about mountain biking most of the time he pointed out a few different bikes and when I expressed and interest, he took the time to set them up for me to try. That is where I found the P1 (on clearance). I found a used P2 for about the same price but have yet to give it a try.
My plan is to see if they will take a deposit and let me bring the bike to a 3rd party for a full fit and if all is good, then I keep the bike.

Eric

Aug. 23, 2012, 11:21 a.m.

Swim well, ride well, and run well this weekend.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 27, 2012, 5:36 p.m.

Lurch, how did things got for you Sunday?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 29, 2012, 8:27 p.m.

I actually just volunteered this year so that I could get a spot for next year as the race sells out the day after (though now that Ironman is gone from Penticton, not sure I needed to). I was going to try and qualify at the oliver half but didnt get a bike in time and in the end, my swim is crippling me I would have had no chance.
I did do my first olympic tri in Kelowna the week before though. Out of something like 450 people, I was 274th or so place after the swim (34 minutes, most of the people who placed close to were around 25 minutes), 57th on the bike, (doing the 40km in 1:07)with an average speed just under 36kph and 82nd on the run. I would have and should have done way better on the bike and the run but I lost my only water bottle by the 10k mark (I only got 1 sip and it was really hot out) and had to finish the ride with no water. When I got to the first water station on the run I stood there and guzzled 4 cups of water and 1 gatorade. Then took down 2 of each at the next water station and that was it, my guts were in a knot for the rest of the first lap. I felt better on the second lap and was able to pick things up but could only manage an overall average pace of around 4:27/km. Overal time was around 2:31 I think.
On a side note, against what everyone said, I did end up getting a tri bike. I bought a used P2. I tried so many different bikes but just fell in love with the feeling of being able to relax my back completely when I ride. The body position is exactly like I use when I work on cars and it is the only bike I can ride without my back aching (including my commuter and mountain bike) The trade off is the muscles in the neck but I am getting used to it. I can comfortably ride 100km in 3 hours (my house, out to mission, over to abbotsford, back to the golden ears bridge and home) but think I need some cushy shorts as no amount of lube seems to prevent that raw feeling and the post ride shower really burns.
My next tri (last one of the season) is another olympic at Cultus lake on Sept 9th. If all goes well and I dont lose my water this time, I am certain I will be able to pull off a 2:20 finish.

Eric

Sept. 1, 2012, 8:33 a.m.

I actually just volunteered this year so that I could get a spot for next year as the race sells out the day after (though now that Ironman is gone from Penticton, not sure I needed to). I was going to try and qualify at the oliver half but didnt get a bike in time and in the end, my swim is crippling me I would have had no chance.

What part of the race you worked at? I know of a few people who when they wanted to do IMC or IMLP decided their first time to simply go volunteer or help out their training buddies doing it. They felt it gave them a better idea of what it was all about. And where better prepared to do it the next year.

I did do my first olympic tri in Kelowna the week before though. Out of something like 450 people, I was 274th or so place after the swim (34 minutes, most of the people who placed close to were around 25 minutes), 57th on the bike, (doing the 40km in 1:07)with an average speed just under 36kph and 82nd on the run. I would have and should have done way better on the bike and the run but I lost my only water bottle by the 10k mark (I only got 1 sip and it was really hot out) and had to finish the ride with no water. When I got to the first water station on the run I stood there and guzzled 4 cups of water and 1 gatorade. Then took down 2 of each at the next water station and that was it, my guts were in a knot for the rest of the first lap. I felt better on the second lap and was able to pick things up but could only manage an overall average pace of around 4:27/km. Overal time was around 2:31 I think.

Good job.

My next tri (last one of the season) is another olympic at Cultus lake on Sept 9th. If all goes well and I dont lose my water this time, I am certain I will be able to pull off a 2:20 finish.

ah.. The Beast… your going to love that.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk