Trainer...

Oct. 18, 2009, 10:40 p.m.

There's probably already a thread discussing this somewhere, but my over-inflated sense of self-worth makes me want to make a new thread.

Looking for trainer recommendations. I used to head out for an hour or so after dinner, but now it's effing dark and I don't want to get hit by a car. Anyway, I'd like to keep it in the $500-ish or less mark.

Oh, rim drive vs tire drive, what's better?

Check my stuff for sale!

Oct. 18, 2009, 11:58 p.m.

rollers with slicks keeps things interesting(nws music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yFv5Kbi4NY

Oct. 19, 2009, 7:26 a.m.

I was thinking the same thing,, what do I get…

I was thinking rollers because I dont plan on riding more than 1 hour inside at a time and figure impoving my balence cant hurt the riding on or off road??

but hipster you say ?!?

I am all about PERFORMANCE!!

Don't be an engineer, every one of them I've met is socially retarded

Oct. 19, 2009, 7:42 a.m.

I had set of rollers and to my surprise I didn't like 'em that much. I found that you had to pay too much attention to what you were doing, like for example watching TV sometimes I would just roll off the side. lol… and added to that I think I needed another band on the rollers because I wasn't getting a good enough work out. Road bike + highest gear spun out = bad news.

Oh well back on the wind trainer this winter.

Oct. 19, 2009, 8:08 a.m.

I've got a Blackburn for sale. Bought it a couple years ago to rehab a broken ankle. Only used it a few times then I was able to get out on the roads so it's still mint and its been sitting on a shelf. Comes with a cool front wheel riser thing and a training DVD. PM me if you want it.
Ad here:
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/544303/

Oct. 19, 2009, 10:12 a.m.

I had a Blackburn Ultra (or something like that) … the one that had a resistance plate. It worked great for the first few months but then it just went to sh*t. The resistance was up and down and all over the place … not consistent at all. Now I have a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer and it works great. I'm looking to purchase a set of rollers, but not too sure if I have the space in my apt. for them.

:canada: :england:

Oct. 19, 2009, 10:43 a.m.

Cyle Ops Fluid is a good trainer and in your budget. It's fairly quiet and easy to use. Rollers don't offer much resistance but are great for balance and working on getting a smooth pedal stroke.

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Oct. 19, 2009, 10:44 a.m.

doh

http://www.bonktown.com/?CMP_ID=ODAL_FFP9001[HTML_REMOVED]mv_pc=r1005

:canada: :england:

Oct. 19, 2009, 10:49 a.m.

Not a fitness guru here but I have tried rollers and hated them.

I like a fixed trainer where you can just ride, watch tv and focus on anything but the pain. Fluid sounds to be the best for resistance and noise yet I have not tried one (old school fly wheel for me)

The whole balance and pedals stroke thing can be worked on else where…..if thats your biggest issue…move on…

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Oct. 19, 2009, 11:15 a.m.

doh

http://www.bonktown.com/?CMP_ID=ODAL_FFP9001[HTML_REMOVED]mv_pc=r1005

Saw that this morning too. $58 shipping to canuckistan :crazy:

All-in for [HTML_REMOVED] $150 CAD though.

….or $100 for Testy's.

Oct. 19, 2009, 11:26 a.m.

Not a fitness guru here

Ya don't say? I thought that big man gunt was muscle?

Oct. 19, 2009, 11:44 a.m.

rollers with slicks keeps things interesting(nws music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yFv5Kbi4NY

His bars are so wide. I'm sure that helps to open up the chest and earn hipster cred.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Oct. 19, 2009, 12:38 p.m.

I've got a Kurt Kinetic trainer and am very happy with it. It's designed to simulate road riding ie. the faster the rear wheel spins the harder the resistance. It's smooth, quiet and has been very reliable. My only quibble with fluid trainers compared to the mag-type ones is that there's no manual resistance adjustment so you can't simulate hill climbing where you want low cadence with high resistance.

Oct. 20, 2009, 4:02 p.m.

At that price point, you want the big green Kurt Kinetics for sure. I'll keep the techie details to minimum, but it's the shiznat. They're freakin heavy, so buy local and get a decent fan, steel wheel QR, and trainer tire while you're at it.

NSMBA member.

Oct. 20, 2009, 7:28 p.m.

I have a cyclops and it works well. I think the thing to realize is no trainer is going to simulate a road ride. But 30 minutes of any exercise is better than another 30 on the couch. Mine's in the garage and I just throw the laptop on the toolbox and watch a vid while I ride - though that's tougher now with the mudbunnie calendar beside the toolbox.