track riding is hella fun.

Feb. 27, 2008, 10:45 p.m.

seriously.. did LTR1 today, so hooked..

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 27, 2008, 11:17 p.m.

sweet, I've never done that.

now take it to teh streetz.

www.natooke.com

Feb. 27, 2008, 11:46 p.m.

I dunno, I think I would die. dodging other people that can't stop either isn't too bad. It's when the volleyballs come over the netting that it gets exciting..

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 28, 2008, 12:03 a.m.

I dunno, I think I would die. dodging other people that can't stop either isn't too bad. It's when the volleyballs come over the netting that it gets exciting..

Once you got the skillz you can stop pretty damn quick. A lot quicker than an old road bike w/ steel rims that's for sure.

www.natooke.com

Feb. 28, 2008, 12:09 a.m.

doesn't that fuck your low back? I was on a "fixie" stationary bike warming up before kickboxing, and when I purposely went to stop I could feel it.

or do you just HTFU.

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 28, 2008, 1:01 a.m.

doesn't that fuck your low back? I was on a "fixie" stationary bike warming up before kickboxing, and when I purposely went to stop I could feel it.

or do you just HTFU.

well a lot of people think that skidding is the fastest way to stop but it's not and yes it's rough on the body and a waste of tires. I only save it for nice long ones on smooth, wet asphalt cuz it takes less strength and is more fun. Most of my stops are done just by cranking the bike to a stop, no wheel locking involved.

The fastest way to stop is by "skipping" the back wheel. You do a little rear wheel lift and then stop the pedals so that way when the wheel touches down it's not moving and it kinda skips. Once you get the hang of it you can do a bunch of them in an extremely short period of time.

I would say that at a speed of 25 km/h I can come to a complete stop via skipping in about 4-5 car lengths or less. Also like they teach you in YD it's very important to be looking ahead a block or two for potential hazards.

Really it's just about having good traffic sense. I haven't had to do an emergency stop in almost six months, just pure flow.

www.natooke.com

Feb. 28, 2008, 9 a.m.

Yeah, but the problem with riding on the road is you can't slingshot yourself off the berms :)
The bikes were a little weird to get used to last night, but once I did, the track is really good fun, and you can go crazy fast with minimal effort.

Feb. 28, 2008, 9:03 a.m.

or do you just HTFU.

It sure as hell wreaks havoc with the muscles on the front of my thighs! If i haven't ridden my fixed for a while and take a spin our the bridge to downtown i walk like a mong the next day (or two).
Yesterday was sweet though - just the right amount of damp on the road to make skids almost go as long as you wanted.:)

Feb. 28, 2008, 9:52 a.m.

Riding down the north shore hills on a fixiekeeps your thighs in good shape.

I admit to cheating tho, with a front brake ;-)

Feb. 28, 2008, 11:43 a.m.

that rarely happens, i have seen it take people out and cause a bad crash though. but only have balls come over like a few times in ages:rave:

It happened twice last night, once was a rapid maneuver by connor to avoid hitting it, and the second was a close call with me.

Feb. 28, 2008, 7:29 p.m.

I got absolutely trashed in the dirtbag pits at last six-day, and raced a keirin after less than four minutes of practice time. It was my first time on the track, and I don't even own a fixed-gear bicycle. Best $7 I've ever spent, although the $10 Cypress rental bike's gearing was hopelessly inadequate.

My housemate climbed and descended Mt. Seymour last summer, brakeless, and took a brand-new Schwalbe Marathon down to the cords in the process.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Feb. 28, 2008, 8:30 p.m.

or do you just HTFU.

Riding a fixed gear with true track geometry hurt my back also. Couldn't get used to leaning so far forward after riding on slack Mountain Bikes for so long. I felt a lot more comfortable on a road bike conversion with riser bars.

It's fun as hell on the streets though! I never thought I'd be so stoked on a road bike but being fixed makes you look for different lines and after breaking so many MTB parts it's sweet having a bike that's so cheap to mantain.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to try out the track soon! Damn, never thought I'd say that.

Feb. 28, 2008, 9:03 p.m.

I got absolutely trashed in the dirtbag pits at last six-day, and raced a keirin after less than four minutes of practice time. It was my first time on the track, and I don't even own a fixed-gear bicycle. Best $7 I've ever spent, although the $10 Cypress rental bike's gearing was hopelessly inadequate.

My housemate climbed and descended Mt. Seymour last summer, brakeless, and took a brand-new Schwalbe Marathon down to the cords in the process.

yeah, we got to ride the nice new bikes, and I'm going again on Sat :)

Feb. 29, 2008, 8:22 a.m.

wow thats really rare, i actually havent been at the track lately when the v-ball players have been there, i am always there on wed nights. so thats prolly why i havent seen any incidences. the nets sag too much though.

It was Wednesday that we were there. Good to know that the V-ball players aren't always there, although they do make for some nice scenery.

Edit: now with Pictury goodness.

Me:

Connor:

Me racing Mike from my work:

And the best picture of connor ever:

Feb. 29, 2008, 11:29 a.m.

Actually, the best picture of connor was taken at the awards for the Abby 4x, I'll have to post that one too…