time to get dirty - cross season is coming

Aug. 17, 2006, 8:33 p.m.

anybody else doing any of the races? The first in the BC series is Sept 10th at Fort Langley and then pretty much every weekend until end October.

Seattle has a pretty big cross community with some good races as well. I did one called the Star Crossed last year that was fun. Course is inside and out of the Velodrome with DJ's and beer garden in the middle of the course.

Just need to figure out a bike though. I sold my Jake with the intentions of building up a disc Major Jake but they turned that into a complete bike and the Major Major frame isn't available for awhile. thinking of going with a Flyte frame in the meantime unless I abondon the whole disc thing and get a Major Jake. Anybody else know of any cheap disc cross frames? I don't think Redline makes one anymore.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Aug. 17, 2006, 9:57 p.m.

How cheap? You can get a Fetish Ankh CX frame for US$200 w/disc tabs. Uses standard 130 mm rear spacing. Add a Nashbar carbon disc fork for just over US$100 if you can get it on sale.

What's the catch with the Fetish frame? Cabling runs under the top tube. Such a small thing, too bad they messed that detail up.

http://search.ebay.com/fetish-frame_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 17, 2006, 10:13 p.m.

Brodie Romax. Not cheap, mind you. but could probably find a frame for sale…

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 17, 2006, 11:23 p.m.

How cheap? You can get a Fetish Ankh CX frame for US$200 w/disc tabs. Uses standard 130 mm rear spacing. Add a Nashbar carbon disc fork for just over US$100 if you can get it on sale.

What's the catch with the Fetish frame? Cabling runs under the top tube. Such a small thing, too bad they messed that detail up.

http://search.ebay.com/fetish-frame_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300

I saw those as well. not to worried about the cable routing but they are heavy and have a steep head angle. I've got a Winwood Muddy Cross fork already.

I did consider the Brodie but I don't think they sell just the frame.

Aug. 18, 2006, 12:24 a.m.

I've got a Winwood Muddy Cross fork already.

Oops, I remember you mentioned that before. Yeah, that Fetish frame is really heavy.

Too bad about the Major Jake (?) availability. I had a similar issue getting my Jake frame, ordered before Christmas but didn't get it until spring. Although this was a few years ago.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 18, 2006, 5:58 a.m.

I did consider the Brodie but I don't think they sell just the frame.

What size are you? I have a few connections that I could question.:nerd:

Edit they have some old stock 2003 50cm and 59cm frame for sale on the web site!
Brodie

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 18, 2006, 9:13 a.m.

Do you know of any beginner/novice cyclocross clinics for those of us who would like to try it? (Namely some of the rules, and things like how to hop onto a narrow saddle without nutting oneself). What are the rules on handlebars (flat vs drop) and disk brakes? I thought flat bars and disk brakes were not allowed by UCI (I suspect that doesn't mean much at the local level). D.

Aug. 18, 2006, 9:20 a.m.

you could try cycling bc for clinics.

no disc's is only for the pros and at most of the local races you can use a mountain bike if you want. Although cross bikes have the advantage I could use some kind of suspension at times.