The new golf?

March 26, 2015, 2:24 p.m.

You're kidding right? Skateboarding is by huge amounts the most challenging "sport" there is.

No doubt there are many, many talented athlets out there. But what do you define as "the most challenging"? Strength, speed, power, agility, coordination, endurance, spatial reasoning, reaction time, mental toughness … the list goes on. It often ends up being a subjective measure. Pretty much every sport/activity at the elite level is near-impossible for the average, un-trained, un-gifted person. That is what makes it elite. There are many, many "fringe" sports most people never heard of that could probably qualify as candidates too.

March 26, 2015, 6:31 p.m.

the most challenging"? Strength, speed, power, agility, coordination, endurance, spatial reasoning, reaction time, mental toughness …

skateboarding checks all those boxes. plus creativity. there might be some fringe sort harder than skateboarding, but no one is getting paid to do it. of all the sports people can make a living at. skateboarding is beyond hard.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

March 26, 2015, 6:56 p.m.

So road biking is not the new golf its skate boarding ….really ?

the question was not what is harder the question was is road biking increasing in popularity over golf and that would be asked on NSMB cuz this is a biking forum

March 26, 2015, 7:40 p.m.

the question was not what is harder the question was is road biking increasing in popularity over golf and that would be asked on NSMB cuz this is a biking forum

I would say yes. Lots of people of all shapes and sizes and ages can go for a spin on a road bike and carry on a conversation. Much like golf, but minus the frustration and humiliation of not being able to play well or playing with absolute duffs.

March 26, 2015, 7:40 p.m.

I'm not sure … I think the point is that good golfers, like Arnie Palmer, for example, are also awesome skateboarders.

March 26, 2015, 8:13 p.m.

doesn't the thot of arnie in spandex make you want to throwup in your mouth a little?

March 26, 2015, 9:22 p.m.

My post was more commenting that golf is pretty hard to even get to the point where you are not a total slapper. So the band wagoners need to find something easier to do. Road riding is pretty easy to look the part and do a decent job of…

March 26, 2015, 11:15 p.m.

Learned so much today. Skateboarding is the new golf…got it.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 27, 2015, 8:55 a.m.

you want an easier game how about playing checkers?

March 27, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

you want an easier game how about playing checkers?

Not so easy …

March 31, 2015, 2:55 a.m.

There is alot of frustration playing golf if you are not good at it. The problem with golf is if you don't go on a regilar basis you will loose your swing.

The athletic triangle is Biking-Golf-Skiing. If you are good at one of these you are problably good at the other 2.

Those are my three sports! But I never heard it called an athletic triangle, and I know some good riders that suck at golf. Skiing and riding always seemed to translate pretty well to each other, though.

March 31, 2015, 2:59 a.m.

Really? Imagine a hypothetical game that was like golf, speeded up 200X, and played on an ice surface while wearing skates as 6 other people trying to shove, trip whack, pummel and block the crap out of you simultaneously as you try to shove, trip whack, pummel and block the crap out of them. Does anybody know if such a game exists?

I've had this debate before. It's a closer matchup than you think.

Ultimately, golf is a game that rewards athleticism, but does not require it in order to play well. To me, that puts it in a different class than hockey or cycling. However don't underestimate the athleticism of the modern pro golfer, or the amount of skill (if not necessarily athleticism) that it takes to be a good amateur.

March 31, 2015, 5:32 a.m.

doesn't the thot of arnie in spandex make you want to throwup in your mouth a little?

No,the idea of seeing you and the rest of the old farts hanging out at the skatepark does though.

Pastor of Muppets

March 31, 2015, 10:48 a.m.

Cycling is the New Golf, or so says the Economist.

March 31, 2015, 11:29 a.m.

My experience is that golf requires next to no athleticism. Success on the golf course is correlated directly to time invested on the golf course. People with natural athletic ability cannot just walk on and be naturally good at golf.

I went to school with some really great golfers who had no natural athletic ability and basically sucked at most other sports.

The reason Tiger Woods was able to dominate golf for so long is that he actually had athletic ability and was going up against a group of guys who had average abilities at best and were only proficient at golf because their families were able to afford memberships and golf lessons at the local country club.