TDF 2010 Prediction Thread

July 15, 2010, 12:10 p.m.

I was wondering whether that was standard practice or not since the commentator mentioned he was employing "track tactics"..

I dunno, I've watched the tour for a lot of years and never have seen someone head butting someone else, and then try to run their sprint man into the fencing….there's blocking tactics and then there's being dumb, renshaw defintely fell into the latter category today…

July 15, 2010, 12:46 p.m.

Using your helmet to fend off an encrouching rider is a relatively common move. Head-butting is not.

Dean is the instigater as he overlaps his elbow in front of Renshaw at the 10 second mark of the vid above. Renshaw is now slightly behind, and unable to shoulder off Dean. He instead tries to fend him off with the helmet.

They then separate for a half second. If he left it at that, there wouldn't have been an issue. Instead, Renshaw goes agressively after Dean and blatantly head-butts him.

Cutting off Farrar would have relegated him from the stage. The final head-butt might have cost him the tour in itself.

July 15, 2010, 4:51 p.m.

Cutting a guy off into the fence at 70kph is pure stupidity.

And Renshaw acted like it wasn't on purpose…

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 16, 2010, 11:56 a.m.

Renshaw shouldn't have been punted. Fined, relegated, dq'd on the stage something like that. Garmin has to be reaaallyyy happy now. Cav's main leadout men are out. Bye bye magic carpet ride.

July 17, 2010, 4:49 p.m.

Im ok with Renshaw getting tossed. He went over the line, and made himself look like an ass. On tv, it looks pretty harmless, but when you consider the speeds these guys are going at, it was a pretty dangerous move (to himself, the other ride, and all of the riders behind them).

July 19, 2010, 11:17 a.m.

This year must be the bizarro edition of the TdF.

Cancellara grabbing yellow and A. Schleck taking time on Contador/GC, ironically benefiting from a peloton fractured by his brother crashing out of the race.

Armstrong tumbling at 50-60 km/h from a freaking pedal strike. Not to mention mass Team RS flats on the cobble stage.

Triple headbutt action + blocking from Renshaw and deserved expulsion.

Contador seizing full advantage of Schleck's mechanical (what is going on with SRAM and chains?). No class. In today's situation, Contador could easily have checked his attack until Schleck hitched back on to the peloton, then re-initiated his attack.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 19, 2010, 11:20 a.m.

Contador seizing full advantage of Schleck's mechanical (what is going on with SRAM and chains?). No class. In today's situation, Contador could easily have checked his attack until Schleck hitched back on to the peloton, then re-initiated his attack.

Agreed. Contador is a jerk. He claimed he didn't know Andy had a mechanical, but if you watch the replay, he has all the time in the world to notice that Andy basically stops pedaling. How often do you not notice things the rider in front of you is doing? It's a dirty yellow jersey.

f e r g s :canada:

July 19, 2010, 11:46 a.m.

I can only conclude that Contador is clueless. Fingerbang on the podium stage amid lustily booing fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcN2HrkrnF4

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 19, 2010, 11:55 a.m.

I love the dismay in the German commentators (in video that sanrensho posted)voice as he watches Contador launch the attack… perhaps some sour-grapes over the World Cup or perhaps Contador really is a sleezebag!

July 19, 2010, 11:56 a.m.

By attacking when is only rival has a mechanical is saying all is fair in the fight for yellow. Didn't know? BS. He has a radio and team director talking to him all the time. He also flew past Schleck like he as standing still and without Andy checking behind. The situation was obvious. He knew something was wrong, and took advantage.

Right or wrong, Cuntador better not have any incidents until the finish in Paris, or Saxo will drop him for huge losses.

July 19, 2010, 12:06 p.m.

Contador really is a sleezebag!

Gonna say the latter. I think most would have been sheepish and shown a little modesty after taking the yellow jersey the way he did. He has no problem doing the fingerbang and pointing to his "heart".

July 19, 2010, 12:16 p.m.

Gonna say the latter. I think most would have been sheepish and shown a little modesty after taking the yellow jersey the way he did. He has no problem doing the fingerbang and pointing to his "heart".

He's classless, he proved that with the whole armstrong debacle the past couple years too, not that I have that much respect for Lance either, but I'm not surprised he attacked Schleck today, hopefully he pays for it tomorrow.

July 19, 2010, 12:31 p.m.

I think Andy can take him. Cuntador is riding scared. I have faith that Andy is going to use some of that anger to drop the little snot. The Clash said it best:

How can you refuse it?
Let fury have the hour
Anger can be power
Know how you can use it?

You go, Andy, you MILF magnet, you …

July 19, 2010, 2:05 p.m.

It's awesome to see that Ryder is back in the top ten. I haven't actually watched the stage yet, but it doesn't sound like Schleck's chain incident tarnishes that accomplishment in any way.

July 19, 2010, 3:12 p.m.

It's the biggest bicycle race in the world … would you slow down if you could make time up on your biggest rival? What if he had had a puncture or crashed … different rules? If it was Sanchez or Menchov or Leipheimer who attacked and had the mechanical, should the leaders wait?

Appreciate it's the yellow jersey, but it's fricken' racing … not a parade. It just adds to the excitement in this year's race and hopefully Saxo are pissed and will be firing back over the next few days. Unless Schleck can TT like Cancellara, he wasn't gonna be able to hold the 30+ second advantage into Paris anyways. And no one will really remember this little slip-up by next year either. Race on!!

:canada: :england: