TDF 2010 Prediction Thread

July 6, 2010, 8:26 p.m.

Heroic riding by Ryder. Armstrong looked strong except for the untimely flat. Saxo Bank basically took advantage of their own teammate crashing out of the race to gap the peloton. We'll see if it was worth it, and if it means A. Schleck will be isolated in the mountains.

Not sure if Contador had a slow flat, but he seemed to be barely hanging on to his group.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 6, 2010, 9:49 p.m.

Quote of the day from Bradley Wiggins:

"It was carnage but we knew it was going to be carnage, we've known for seven months it would be carnage - and it was carnage."

I wonder what his point could be?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 7, 2010, 12:02 a.m.

Best interview of the day - Jens Voight.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/news/jens-voigt-says-tour-de-france-organizers-owe-the-peloton-an-apology-for-stage-3_126507

Watch the vid. How can anyone not like this guy?

For me, that stage was a farce. Cobblestones are just a sideshow. Sure they make for good tv, but so does Jerry Springer. Doesn't belong in the TdF IMO. One day classic sure, but not a 3 week stage race.

I completely agree with Jens. No more cobbles ASO. Lets see the best cyclists compete down the stretch, not the luckiest.

July 7, 2010, 9 a.m.

Best Stage I've seen on TV in years………great drama!

Ryder is a beast on the cobbles.

July 8, 2010, 9:29 a.m.

anyone know where i might be able to find replays of each days stage online?

July 8, 2010, 9:33 a.m.

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/927

July 8, 2010, 10:46 a.m.

For me, that stage was a farce. Cobblestones are just a sideshow. Sure they make for good tv, but so does Jerry Springer. Doesn't belong in the TdF IMO. One day classic sure, but not a 3 week stage race.

I completely agree with Jens. No more cobbles ASO. Lets see the best cyclists compete down the stretch, not the luckiest.

The "G" in GC stands for "General". The Meriam-Webster's Dictionary defines "general" as

"Applicable to every member of a class, kind, or group"

The TDF GC is cycling's most coveted prized because you have to be good at everything to dominate and win. If it is raced on, it could be in test. Also, I think cobblestones is one of the challenges where equipment does matter. For the bike sponsors who put their hard earned money into racing, it is a great place to strut their stuff. If riding cobblestones is a matter of luck, how do you explain Spartacus winning on the cobblestones in both Stage 3 and Paris-Roubaix? I would guess his training, ability,toughness and preparation played some role here. I like Jens, but really, he is being a crybaby here. His other teammate, Andy Schlek was almost put out of the TDF in a crash on a paved slippery road along with 60 other riders, the day before … carnage happens.

July 8, 2010, 12:13 p.m.

I think you missed my point. With your "webster's" definition you might as well throw in some cyclocross type obstacles, maybe some double black mtb trail. Hell, why not some mud bogging too.

Jens Voight is being a cry baby? He's one of the most (arguably the most) respected members of the pro peleton. Quite frankly it doesn't matter two shits what you or I think of him.

BTW, the main cause of the crashes on the previous stage was spilled fuel from one of the motorcycles. It was an innocent accident and IMO the racers made a good decision on the day. Completely different scenario than the cobbles.

July 8, 2010, 12:21 p.m.

The cobbles rocked … watching a parade to the mountains is BORING.

:canada: :england:

July 8, 2010, 2:06 p.m.

I think you missed my point. With your "webster's" definition you might as well throw in some cyclocross type obstacles, maybe some double black mtb trail. Hell, why not some mud bogging too.

If these were part of the UCI Road Race circuit, then they would be fair game. Racing on cobblestones is an established part of professional road racing in Europe. Paris-Roubaix has been around since 1896 and is an established Classic ride for which UCI Road Race points are awarded. The Tour of Flanders is another cobblestone classic, which BTW Cancerella ALSO won (luck again?).

Jens Voight is being a cry baby? He's one of the most (arguably the most) respected members of the pro peleton. Quite frankly it doesn't matter two shits what you or I think of him.

Just because he is respected doesn't mean everyone has to automatically agree with everything he says. I'm sure riders like Cancerella, Hushovd and Hesjedal would disagree.

BTW, the main cause of the crashes on the previous stage was spilled fuel from one of the motorcycles. It was an innocent accident and IMO the racers made a good decision on the day. Completely different scenario than the cobbles.

The stage was also hilly (dangerous) and the roads narrow (also dangerous). Why don't they just hold the TDF in a velodrome, then?

July 8, 2010, 2:35 p.m.

If these were part of the UCI Road Race circuit, then they would be fair game. Racing on cobblestones is an established part of professional road racing in Europe. Paris-Roubaix has been around since 1896 and is an established Classic ride for which UCI Road Race points are awarded. The Tour of Flanders is another cobblestone classic.

All single or two stage races. In the grand tours you want the best to be taken out by better riders, not terrible courses that cause flats [HTML_REMOVED] crashes. Luck plays a HUGE part in the cobbles. Preparation and stakes for a grand tour is far greater than a single day race. You simply cannot compare the two.

Just because he is respected doesn't mean everyone has to automatically agree with everything he says. I'm sure riders like Cancerella, Hushovd and Hesjedal would disagree.

Hushovd doesn't agree with the cobbles. His coments were that it doesn't belong in the TdF, "but makes for great TV". This clip was played on OLN prior to stage 3. Cancellera doesn't care for them in the TdF either. No idea what Hesjedal thinks of them, but it's not relevant.

The stage was also hilly (dangerous) and the roads narrow (also dangerous). Why don't they just hold the TDF in a velodrome, then?

A certain amount of risk is inevitable and accepted; but cobbles are an unnecssary sideshow. I don't mind that there will be crashes in a race. It's a problem when flats [HTML_REMOVED] crashes are an expected sideshow on a single stage of a three week race. IMO it has no place in a grand tour.

Bottom line: yes, it makes the tour more exciting, yes it brings in more viewers, yes many riders will see it as an opportunity to shine. Is it a good thing for the TdF? I think not, you think it is.

That's just opinions though. There is no right or wrong answer.

July 8, 2010, 3:15 p.m.

The last two days I've been FFWD'ing through pretty much until the last 10km. Exciting sprint finishes, but I can't wait til they hit the slopes.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 8, 2010, 8:40 p.m.

+1 agree with this statement.

Nice to see organziers mixed it up a little in stage 2[HTML_REMOVED]3.

I think all the flat stages should have some hazards like cobblestones, water traps, snow, sand, curvy streets.

Lets face it, the tour is only exciting to watch in the mountains.:hurt:

Group rides sprints at the end are YAWN.

July 11, 2010, 9:06 a.m.

So Lance, what was your reason for quitting today? Was your crash really that bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcQ4E1cxLJ4

Good to see Andy take a dig at the field today. Contador might just have a real rival this year.

July 11, 2010, 9:19 a.m.

not that bad, just probably the worst time as the pack was ramping up for the first climb. Getting taken out out by the Euskatel guys trying to get bottles on the second crash probably didn't help.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"