TDF 2010 Prediction Thread

June 20, 2010, 10:15 p.m.

Less than two weeks to go before the TdF starts.

Time to make this year's podium predictions. Contador is far and away the strongest, but the rest of the podium positions are up for grabs.

Lance taking third last year was definitely a surprise IMO, and impressive considering his absence from the sport. Although he's had some setbacks this year and his time trialling still hasn't returned.

Here's my prediction, let's see yours:

1. Contador
2. Basso
3. Frank Schleck (usually Andy, but he's had some knee issues this year)

4. Armstrong

I don't think Wiggins will make the Top 5 this year. Until he proves me wrong, I will say that last year was a fluke year/result as an unmarked rider.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 20, 2010, 10:49 p.m.

Drug scandal within the week. Claims of bike doping during the Prologue. And during the mountain stages some claim about how cancer strengthens the heart and increases the alveoli of the lungs.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 20, 2010, 11:56 p.m.

Drugs, motors [HTML_REMOVED] dropped sponsorships…

June 20, 2010, 11:56 p.m.

Oh and France.

June 21, 2010, 6:31 a.m.

Oh and France.

And France whining about the 50th tour with no French champion.

And some no name from New Zealand will win it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 21, 2010, 8:37 a.m.

1. Contador
2. Evans
3. Fleche

Armstrong won't make the podium and will either retire again after this year's tour, or pull out before it's over and then retire again.

:canada: :england:

June 21, 2010, 9:07 a.m.

Contador, A Schleck, Evans Armstrong quits mid way through the event when he discovers that 38 is a BFD.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 21, 2010, 10:18 a.m.

1. Contador
2. First Loser
3. Second Loser

On the GC side, 2010 TdF will be the biggest yawn-fest in years. Most of the talk will be around doping and the sprint stages. The latter for the most breakaway successes ever.

Don't be surprised if Lance falls back in the standings only to give him a chance for a breakaway stage victory.

June 21, 2010, 1:53 p.m.

To get you in the mood. Some Phil Ligget quotes:

"They've been thrown a bone… and it's a meaty bone."

"He's wearing the mask of pain."

"The peloton is riding like scalded cats."

"And so, the first pedal has been turned in anger."

"He[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s digging deep into his suitcase of courage."

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 21, 2010, 4:17 p.m.

Schleck
Contador
Basso
Pharmstrong
Menchoff

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

June 21, 2010, 4:22 p.m.

Dunno why I left out Evans. Oh wait, it's because I don't want to hear his whiny voice.

June 21, 2010, 4:33 p.m.

Cuntador
Lance

Yup, I'm calling Lance for second place. I don't follow road cycling but I do watch the TDF every year. I have no idea how good or bad these guys have done in the past year, but Lance is crafty and probably the most prepared for this race. If he could pull off a third without a lot of high intensity racing, amongst a bunch of good climbers, then that says something.

June 21, 2010, 7:04 p.m.

Rogers
Contador
Basso

As for Lance, I'm not even sure he'll be the best Radio shack rider. I mean, if Yanni or Horner or Levi have great days, they are all so f'in strong.

In case this hasn't been said - PVR is a sanity saver for the Versus coverage of this event. You WILL pull the trigger after seeing the same advert a zillions time.

Green jersey to the Manx Missile if Thor doesn't punch his lights out first. Would be great to see boonen and petacchi on form again to make it a real horse race.

NSMBA member.

June 24, 2010, 7:18 a.m.

Line-up for Sky

Michael Barry, Steve Cummings, Juan Antonio Flecha, Simon Gerrans, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Thomas Lofkvist, Serge Pauwels, Geraint Thomas and Bradley Wiggins.

It's awesome to see that Michael Barry will finally have his chance at the big show.

June 26, 2010, 11:12 a.m.

^
Pharmstrong! Hahaha. Can I use that?
:)

Wrong. Always.