Suggest me a helmet

June 24, 2010, 10:33 p.m.

HI fellow roadies,

Time for a new lid (my helmet is over 10yesrs hahah).

I want the lightest, legal one possible.

Catlike but see they are not available (?)

Thinking of a s-works specialized or something to the like.

Anyone have any suggestions (and where to buy it for cheap).

June 24, 2010, 10:47 p.m.

Giro Prolight is one of the lightest, but is said to have less venting than the Ionos/Atmos.

I personally think the Specialized helmets are the ugliest invented, with the Cylon slit in the front.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 24, 2010, 11:10 p.m.

I personally think the Specialized helmets are the ugliest invented, with the Cylon slit in the front.

werd, they used to be the only ones that fit my head but now they fit like gyros so f'm. that said, the spec sub-zero was the comfiest, lightest helmet i've ever owned. discontinued about a decade ago but if i found some nos i'd snap them up in a heartbeat

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 25, 2010, 7:10 a.m.

Get one that fits. No really you'll have to go out and try a few. I'm a big Giro fan but when I bought a new helmet this year I did not like the fit of the Ionos or Atmos. I ended up getting a Bell Volt.

June 25, 2010, 9:11 a.m.

get one that fits is a no-brainer

I got a big head with corners ,the only thing that ever fit well is a giro atlas

and for skiing giro makes a helmet that fits fat head's as well

June 25, 2010, 9:17 a.m.

La Bicicletta sells Catlike helmets …

:canada: :england:

June 25, 2010, 10:09 a.m.

the new catlikes are the best looking in my opinion

June 25, 2010, 12:58 p.m.

Catlike FTW. If you can't get them locally, try Prendas in the UK. They run out of stock often, but you can always e-mail them and see when they'll have more in.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

June 25, 2010, 7:17 p.m.

catlike at speedtheory as well as giro, louis garneau and bell

http://www.speedtheory.ca/van/

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

June 25, 2010, 9:32 p.m.

What are the catlikes going for ?

June 26, 2010, 5:50 p.m.

Fit is EVERYTHING.

I have a Geigeresque long, narrow head and positively adore my new Lazer Helium, courtesy of the estimable Mr. Sean Brown at On the Rivet. The Rollsys adjustment system simply blows away everything else on the market, and I cross-shopped damn near every top-end lid that was available locally.

I was also impressed with the build quality and attention to detail of the MET lineup in particular, even more so than my Lazer or my girlfriend's Giro Ionos. Every other helmet brand on the market is made in China, not so with MET - and the MET's ventilated Kevlar-reinforced straps were also a really nice touch, compared with how a $400 Giro has the same damn straps as a $40 Giro. It really came down to the sheer awesomeness of the Lazer's Rollsys, and the MET Sine-Thesis not being available in PRO white.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

June 26, 2010, 9:16 p.m.

http://www.buyafixie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/cap-campy-black.jpg

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

July 13, 2010, 6:49 a.m.

Something along the lines of…

July 13, 2010, 3:32 p.m.

HI fellow roadies,

I want the lightest, legal one possible.

Catlike but see they are not available (?)

Catlike is available, as stated above - La Bicicletta and Speed Theory. Catlike is not sold in the US, apparently because they do not meet US Safety Standards. I read somewhere that its something like in the US they drop a weight vertically from 14 inches to test the strength, in EU and Canada they drop it from 12 inches or something like that. So because it is not tested according to the US specs, they can't be sold in stores there.

July 23, 2010, 9:03 a.m.

Well guys, I picked up a Catlike Whisper plus last weekend and have done 5 rides with it so far.

Awesome helmet, incredible air flow! I feel my hair being blown around, well worth the money….

Feels like I am not even wearing a helmet. IN fact, on my first ride I had to tap my head to see if was still on….and it was.