Steel Cross Bikes with Discs?

Nov. 6, 2011, 9:53 p.m.

Planet X Kaffenbach cromo disc/canti geared/SS compatible frame. $275 + shipping.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXKV2/planet_x_kaffenback_swap_out_frame

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 6, 2011, 11:22 p.m.

Don't count out the Soma…. There is a version with disc mounts. I built one up for a guy recently at my shop and it was impressive. Sad that it is taking so long for more disc cross bikes to come out. I just got a Ridley Xbow because I got tired of waiting.

Nov. 7, 2011, 4:42 a.m.

Don't count out the Soma…. There is a version with disc mounts. I built one up for a guy recently at my shop and it was impressive. Sad that it is taking so long for more disc cross bikes to come out. I just got a Ridley Xbow because I got tired of waiting.

did it have canti mounts and disc mounts?

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Nov. 7, 2011, 8:20 a.m.

It had both but the canti posts thread into the frame…. I took them out. Jagwire makes plastic covers you can put in their place to make it look better without them

Nov. 7, 2011, 11:06 a.m.

Planet X Kaffenbach cromo disc/canti geared/SS compatible frame. $275 + shipping.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXKV2/planet_x_kaffenback_swap_out_frame

Yes these are great bikes I owned an earlier version the only down side is the limited tyre clearance, but I guess you have to balance mud against the acceleration of a short chainstay.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 7, 2011, 12:51 p.m.

vestigial canti mounts

:fu:

The problem isn't necessarily trying to find a steel cross bike with disc mounts, it's trying to find one that doesn't have at least one outstandingly glaring "DO NOT WANT" detail that instantly results in a no sale, viz.: superfluous canti nubs; barfed-out welds; ridiculous dropout/disc mount execution; etc etc.

Comedy goldmine that QBP's got three different brands going and none of them can get it right. Salsa came the closest with the La Cruz, but as above, it came in Steal Me Orange, and has since been discontinued.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Nov. 7, 2011, 1:04 p.m.

now they make a mass produced belt drive monstrosity, but back when they were still being made in bc (by mt?) spot had this bike nailed: track dropouts with a drl hanger, disk only, super clean welds and lines. i still see one being ridden regularly by a lady who commutes on the ontario bike route, might just be the one i tried to buy 2nd hand for a girl friend many years ago…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 7, 2011, 4:46 p.m.

:fu:

Comedy goldmine that QBP's got three different brands going and none of them can get it right. .

What is "QBP"?

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

Nov. 7, 2011, 4:53 p.m.

What is "QBP"?

QBP = Largest distributor in the industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_Bicycle_Products

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 7, 2011, 6:53 p.m.

Wow this guys make some kewl shite

Nov. 7, 2011, 7:19 p.m.

Actually, looking at the fork, they have actually changed it since that low clearance issue. So it might fit big tires now.

Was it the fork that was the problem?
They list it as clearing a 35 wide tire, is that enough?

speaking of tire clearance…

:agree:

Who makes this?

Nov. 7, 2011, 7:22 p.m.

even better,
Dirty Disco

but it's carbon

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 7, 2011, 7:35 p.m.

Was it the fork that was the problem?
They list it as clearing a 35 wide tire, is that enough?

Yes the fork, and a 35 is reasonable. I suppose in my own ideal requirement I want room for even fatter tires, but realistically the UCI regulation on cross tires is a max of 32 as of 2010 yet 34/35 is super common. If you're considering it—and you want fenders—I'd email Traitor and ask what clearance is with fenders (it's at least the 28mm Marathons on there).

Who makes this?

Singular.

flickr

Nov. 7, 2011, 7:52 p.m.

Yes the fork, and a 35 is reasonable. I suppose in my own ideal requirement I want room for even fatter tires, but realistically the UCI regulation on cross tires is a max of 32 as of 2010 yet 34/35 is super common. If you're considering it—and you want fenders—I'd email Traitor and ask what clearance is with fenders (it's at least the 28mm Marathons on there).

Singular.

They say 28 with fenders

Nov. 7, 2011, 8:49 p.m.

Here's one:

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/x

treezz
wow you are a ass