Steel Cross Bikes with Discs?

Nov. 6, 2011, 6:21 p.m.

I am wondering if any companies make a steel cross frame or complete bike with discs?

I wish this bike had discs.

I know Both Brodie and Kona make bike like the Honky. But aren't they more commuter / trekking bikes?

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Nov. 6, 2011, 6:50 p.m.

Was looking at this same question yesterday with morgman. Soma has a disc version of the double cross. Gunnar has the hyper x. There are others, look around. Google is your friend

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 6, 2011, 7:46 p.m.

Soma looks good but it has Canti mounts. Is the Surly Disc Trucker a cross bike? Or just trekking? I don't understand how the Geo works with these bikes? What makes a Cross? Road ? Trekking?

Looks so sick!

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

Nov. 6, 2011, 8:05 p.m.

Is the Surly Disc Trucker a cross bike?

what's a cross bike to you? the trucker will have a super-long wheelbase, low bb, likely rather heavy tubing and slack angles. i know people who have fun riding lht's offroad

looks like a surly

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 6, 2011, 8:17 p.m.

A touring bike will have a much longer front-centre measurement and much longer rear end resulting in a slow handling, slow accelerating bike. The Trucker is a dedicated touring bike, as much as the Commercial Drive crowd likes to talk up how great a commuter it is. For anyone who doesn't have a real tour planned (or likely), we steer them away from such a slow bike.

A classic cross bike will have a head angle of ~72-73º, a fork atc of ~400, a BB drop of ~65, and a rear end of 430 or shorter. (135 spaced rear ends necessitate a longer rear end; I'd prefer a 420 chainstay if I had the chance to be picky.) Brodie has the aluminum Ronin, which uses the same frame as the Romax AL but with a steel fork.

The Kona Honky Inc does appear to be a good option, though I would have to see the fork atc to know if it really is a cross bike and not a road disc bike. ***EDIT the fork is 401 atc, so that bike would indeed qualify. The Traitor Ruben is another road disc option, but it doesn't have much clearance for bigger tires and fenders.

I agree the vestigial canti mounts on the Soma DC are a bummer, but some people like that flexibility. Possibly out of budget, but Brodie also does have a Ti Romax with discs (if you can snag one) and Lynskey has two Ti disc cross bikes.

flickr

Nov. 6, 2011, 8:17 p.m.

what's a cross bike to you?

Its not a matter of what I think a cross bike is. I want a Steel Cross bike with discs. What makes a cross bike?

Nov. 6, 2011, 8:25 p.m.

A touring bike will have a much longer front-centre measurement and much longer rear end resulting in a slow handling, slow accelerating bike. The Trucker is a dedicated touring bike, as much as the Commercial Drive crowd likes to talk up how great a commuter it is. For anyone who doesn't have a real tour planned (or likely), we steer them away from such a slow bike.

A classic cross bike will have a head angle of ~72-73º, a fork atc of ~400, a BB drop of ~65, and a rear end of 430 or shorter. (135 spaced rear ends necessitate a longer rear end; I'd prefer a 420 chainstay if I had the chance to be picky.) Brodie has the aluminum Ronin, which uses the same frame as the Romax AL but with a steel fork.

The Kona Honky Inc does appear to be a good option, though I would have to see the fork atc to know if it really is a cross bike and not a road disc bike. ***EDIT the fork is 401 atc, so that bike would indeed qualify. The Traitor Ruben is another road disc option, but it doesn't have much clearance for bigger tires and fenders.

I agree the vestigial canti mounts on the Soma DC are a bummer, but some people like that flexibility. Possibly out of budget, but Brodie also does have a Ti Romax with discs (if you can snag one) and Lynskey has two Ti disc cross bikes.

That is the money shot, Thanks

Nov. 6, 2011, 8:26 p.m.

Its not a matter of what I think a cross bike is. I want a Steel Cross bike with discs. What makes a cross bike?

:dizzy:

Nov. 6, 2011, 8:32 p.m.

That is the money shot, Thanks

I really like that bike. The complete build is a 1x10 Sram with FSA all over it. Unfortunately the geo numbers don't really work for my personal fit needs; I'm basically between the 56 and the 59. Also, it barely clears modest cross knobbies.

I've basically decided the market doesn't have what I want right now in a cross bike, which is either a performance steel or carbon disc cross bike for not too much money, so I'm selling my cross bike and re-investing when the right bike comes along.

flickr

Nov. 6, 2011, 8:47 p.m.

I really like that bike. The complete build is a 1x10 Sram with FSA all over it. Unfortunately the geo numbers don't really work for my personal fit needs; I'm basically between the 56 and the 59. Also, it barely clears modest cross knobbies.

I've basically decided the market doesn't have what I want right now in a cross bike, which is either a performance steel or carbon disc cross bike for not too much money, so I'm selling my cross bike and re-investing when the right bike comes along.

Blows that it has shitty tire clearance.

That industry is slow to catch up on the needs of some riders. I am 5'9ish how tall are you?

Nov. 6, 2011, 8:53 p.m.

Blows that it has shitty tire clearance.

That industry is slow to catch up on the needs of some riders. I am 5'9ish how tall are you?

Actually, looking at the fork, they have actually changed it since that low clearance issue. So it might fit big tires now.

I'm 6'0 and usually ride a 57-58 top tube with a big (~200mm incl headset) head tube. When I raced cross I ended up building strength over flexibility, so compact drops are my friend.

flickr

Nov. 6, 2011, 9:10 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong (please), but isn't there a rule if you are going to compete in CX that you have to run canti brakes?

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Nov. 6, 2011, 9:14 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong (please), but isn't there a rule if you are going to compete in CX that you have to run canti brakes?

That UCI rule was lifted for the 2010 season, but the market has yet to really catch on.

flickr

Nov. 6, 2011, 9:25 p.m.

speaking of tire clearance…

:agree:

Nov. 6, 2011, 9:37 p.m.

Cant make out what that tube says, who makes that?