SRAM's ultegra-level competitor

April 6, 2006, 10:18 a.m.

We've all seen the prototype photos of SRAM's high-end Force (Dura Ace/Record competitor) group posted around the net for a few months, but now SRAM has released details and weights of the more affordable Ultegra competitor, Rival.

The whole group is supposed to weigh almost half a pound less than Ultegra, I hope it's priced competitively when it hits the market. Yet another way to build a light bike under 16-17 pounds without going broke… :woot:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/features/sram_road_launch

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

April 6, 2006, 10:31 a.m.

Looks like they're using the X-type style bb cups, too. Nice, clean look to it.

April 6, 2006, 12:07 p.m.

The full-blown article on CyclingNews:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/features/sram_road_launch

I thought this part was interesting:

"SRAM will debut a wholly new style of cassette for the road groups rather than carry over its previously ubiquitous PowerGlide shift gates and ramps. Rather than simply shave down or shape teeth, the new OpenGlide technology removes complete teeth from smaller cogs in order to speed up shifts, particularly under load. Intuition would suggest that this would result in premature cog wear, but these smaller cogs typically don't experience much torque unlike larger cogs which generally undergo much higher load (that is, unless your nickname includes the word 'Jet' or 'Super')."

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 7, 2006, 6:14 a.m.

"Rival" - makes me laugh. What's next, the "Death to Shimano" and "Campy Killah"? :)

April 7, 2006, 10:03 a.m.

is the actuation ratio the same as on their mountain derailleurs?

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

April 7, 2006, 1:34 p.m.

the article says it has a pull ratio similar to the 1:1 X-series derailleurs… I expect the cassettes will mount on Shimano freehubs and have the same index spacing as Shimano.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

April 8, 2006, 3:41 p.m.

cool.

April 11, 2006, 9:31 p.m.

I thought this part was interesting:

"SRAM will debut a wholly new style of cassette for the road groups rather than carry over its previously ubiquitous PowerGlide shift gates and ramps. Rather than simply shave down or shape teeth, the new OpenGlide technology removes complete teeth from smaller cogs in order to speed up shifts, particularly under load. Intuition would suggest that this would result in premature cog wear, but these smaller cogs typically don't experience much torque unlike larger cogs which generally undergo much higher load (that is, unless your nickname includes the word 'Jet' or 'Super')."

I'm not so sure I like that. I'm sure it's been tested but it just seems more likely to skip under high load. Especially after the system has a couple thousand km on it.