So I bought a cross bike...

Sept. 3, 2010, 1:19 p.m.

…mostly for winter riding and commuting but also had it in the back of my mind to give cross racing a try. I see that the first race of the year is on Sunday out in Langley. The bike came with slicks mounted but the seller also threw in a pair of CX tires so… what else do I need to do besides swap out the tires and show up? I appreciate that there's skill and technique required to excel but I'm a total newb and have never done a running dismount/mount or bunny hopped anything taller than a railway crossing so besides the very real risk of coming DFL am I at risk being maimed or worse because of my lack of experience? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sept. 3, 2010, 1:27 p.m.

What did you get?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 3, 2010, 1:54 p.m.

What did you get?

This

Sept. 3, 2010, 1:55 p.m.

Giv'er!! Nothing required except for the knobbies you said came with it. Just show up, pin your number on, and enjoy the pain/fun.

:canada: :england:

Sept. 3, 2010, 2:01 p.m.

I would suggest wearing spandex if you have them. Baggies will get caught on your seat during re-mounting. Also they will protect yer boys a bit.

It's so much fun you will DIE!

Sept. 3, 2010, 2:13 p.m.

Other than removing the fenders and switching out to knobbies, I'd say go for it.

If that is your regular seat height, a common recommendation is to lower it by say a centimeter for 'cross.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 3, 2010, 2:59 p.m.

Other than removing the fenders and switching out to knobbies, I'd say go for it.

If that is your regular seat height, a common recommendation is to lower it by say a centimeter for 'cross.

Pedals too?

Nice bike, I want a cross bike too…

Sept. 3, 2010, 3:27 p.m.

Pedals too?

No, I'd leave the pedals on, they help with forward acceleration, stability, balance, shin breaking, etc.