Smartphone handlebar mount

April 1, 2014, 2:47 p.m.

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm toying with the idea of trying to use my phone as a bike computer. I realize it won't have as high accuracy as a dedicated bike computer, but I'm most interested in having GPS/mapping capabilities on my handlebar and I'm reluctant to spend $300+ on a new unit when I have the capability already in my phone. Any thoughts or experience?

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

April 1, 2014, 3:51 p.m.

Id personally be worried about putting my phone on the bars that way…i guess if you only ride on nice days and never ever take a spill…

April 2, 2014, 7:45 p.m.

Why don't you just mount a $30 cycling computer on your bars for real-time and Strava the ride with the phone in your jersey pocket?

April 2, 2014, 10:12 p.m.

I have one of these for my commuter bike [HTML_REMOVED] Galaxy S4. Works well, you can use the phone through the plastic and its reasonably water resistant. It's been OK in an hour of drizzle/showers, for torrential rain I just put the phone in an sandwich bag first.

To me, it's offers a lot more protection than a stem mounted option. The case itself absorbs a lot of the road buzz and in an accident it's out of the way and not likely to get crushed. Cheap too!

http://m.alibaba.com/product/1508133856/ROSWHEEL_BICYCLE_MOBILE_PHONE_HOLDER_CYCLE.html

April 3, 2014, 9 a.m.

Why don't you just mount a $30 cycling computer on your bars for real-time and Strava the ride with the phone in your jersey pocket?

That's what I do now. The reason I want the phone on my bar is so I can have a real-time map for exploring new areas. I could always just pull my phone out of my pocket when I need to check a map, but who wants to go through all that trouble :P

Nich: Thanks for the link. A little bulkier than what I was thinking of, but worth considering.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

April 3, 2014, 10:06 a.m.

Which phone? For iPhone the Wahoo cases seem to have a good rep.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 3, 2014, 10:13 a.m.

Wife has been using a Topeak handlebar mounted bag for about 2 years without any problems.

http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/smartphone_drybag_4_bk

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca