Should I (would you) buy a road bike from MEC?

Jan. 18, 2014, 6:36 p.m.

Ridley Ultegra Heliums for $38hun……….. :belgium:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 18, 2014, 6:38 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGQiGEYl4Y

flickr

Jan. 18, 2014, 6:43 p.m.

Ridley bikes were a good value at the LBS before MEC picked them up, so now that they're even more affordable they continue to be a good value brand.

flickr

Jan. 18, 2014, 8:25 p.m.

Is it full Ultegra Di2 11spd?

If so that is a good deal

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 18, 2014, 8:35 p.m.

Ridley Ultegra Heliums for $38hun……….. :belgium:

Check your local bike shop for a 2013 model… price seems a bit high.

www.steedcycles.com

Jan. 18, 2014, 8:55 p.m.

backcountry.com

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 18, 2014, 10:44 p.m.

If you just want the cheapest Ultegra-spec carbon road bike, then if you shop around you will find a better price on a last years model.

If you want to buy the right bike, then armed with your budget (including shoes and pedals if you don't own them) arrange to test ride a few models (including the Ridley at MEC).

Unlike mountain bikes, you can generally get a good test of an in-stock road bike without it having to be a beaten and abused "demo" model.

From my past experience (selling bikes) I would e-mail, or call, and make arrangements in advance as any good shop will make the time to do a quick basic fitting (saddle height / stem length / bar height), so that you can get the most out of your test -- especially at this time of year.

If you already own a road bike, it can be a great idea to take your personal saddle along with your pedals/shoes so that you are truly comparing apples.

Ridley is a great name, with distinct geometry and a stiff ride compared to the current trend in carbon road bikes.

I have met riders that absolutely swear by their bikes (especially their cross bikes), and other riders who could not find the right powerful/comfortable position on the bike even after extensive professional fitting (slack seat angles vs. trend to higher cadence/lowering gearing vs. leg length???)

A good comparison in absolute terms (stiffest in class vs. more comfortable, but still light) is the Look 566. I have owned a Tarmac SL4 (similar stiffness category to the Ridley) and on a long ride the 566 was an appreciably more enjoyable experience.

I'm a few boxes of Lucky's doughnuts and at least a dozen craft beers over worrying about contesting any sprints, so ignore this advice if you are trying to win the race between mile markers.

There should be an Ultegra level 566 in your ~ price range.

That said -- ride a few bikes before you drop 4K. You will be amazed how different some bikes feel.

-D

P.S. Make sure every bike you test is at the same tire pressure and definitely note if they are running 25c or 23c tires. Running tires a bit soft, or a bit firm, will give you a false positive on how the bike rides.

I swapped to 25c (and sometimes 28c) and never looked back -- again not trying to win any sprints.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Jan. 19, 2014, 12:19 a.m.

uhhhhhhhh…..didn't know Ridleys were stiff and slack. I think I'm kind of a candidate for those frames with the longish h/t's you know the kind MAMILs ride?
So maybe there's no Ridley in my future lessn' I put a stupid proud stem like I fab'd for my 531 frame. :o
I somehow got the impression a Helium would have a similarly atmospheric price.

Yah I runnin' some really light I forget how light 24c radial tyres I got from MEC, I see them listed for 67 thought I paid 72, huh, last year on the Bailey.

Ok on MEC site Fenix is 22 or 28 hun the Helium listed is 33hun but I swear the one I touched today was 3850….

Don't think is electric shift I woulda' noticed the abortion,…..er, I mean battery on d/t.

I bought a lotto max yesterday should check I'll buy a Calffe w/discs…….

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.