ryder hesjedal (merged)

Oct. 30, 2013, 7:32 a.m.

Here we go, so it begins………are there no friends in Pro Cycling ? Seems like backstabbing is prevalent.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-rasmussen-claims-he-taught-hesjedal-how-to-take-epo

Oct. 30, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/canadian-cyclist-ryder-hesjedal-accused-of-doping-1.2288323

Ryder Hesjedal is facing doping allegations as disgraced Danish cyclist Michael Rasmussen says in his new book, Yellow Fever, that the Canadian cyclist used banned products, including EPO, dating back to the 2003 season.

Rasmussen, who was pulled by his Rabobank team prior to the 2007 Tour over missed tests leading up to the race, said Hesjedal took doping advice from him because of the Canadian’s desire to compete in the 2004 Athens Olympics.

He also writes that two other Canadians, Seamus McGrath and Chris Sheppard, received advice.

"A good result in the world championships [2003] could send them to the Olympics in Athens in 2004," Rasmussen wrote. "They moved into my basement in August, before I went to the Vuelta a Espana, and right after I had ridden the Meisterschaft von Zurich. There, they stayed around fourteen days time. I trained with them in the Dolomites and taught them how to [make] vitamin injections and how you took EPO and Synacthen [cortisone]."

Erythropoietin, or EPO, is a hormone that boosts the body's amount of oxygen-rich red blood cells.

Oct. 30, 2013, 9:09 a.m.

Shep served a 2 year ban for doping in 2005, fyi…

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sheppard-admits-doping-violation

Oct. 30, 2013, 9:16 a.m.

Nothing that Seamus does surprises me.

Oct. 30, 2013, 10:30 a.m.

Well colour me surprised...

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Oct. 30, 2013, 10:48 a.m.

Given his year at Discovery under Armstrong, where it seems likely he would have been aware of the doping program there, I'm surprised there haven't been any allegations until now. I figured the Canadian sporting press didn't want to potentially dig up dirt on a success story, and that the rest of the cycling press didn't care enough about him to bother.

Oct. 30, 2013, 10:53 a.m.

Hardest sport in the world and people are using PED's? Never!

Everyone is on everything. Tennis pros are hardly tested but it's obvious as to anyone watching them smash balls around at 200kph for five hours. Indeed, the cover up in that sport makes the Conservative Party of Canada look like the pinnicle of honesty and justice.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Oct. 30, 2013, 10:58 a.m.

I've got friends that eat and train like its a science for the test of metal and ironman etc. They're crippled for days afterwards. Isn't it obvious that cyclists in the tour are on shit? Doing it day in and out is not possible with chicken and salad.

Oct. 30, 2013, 11:52 a.m.

He was on US Postal/Discovery for 2 seasons, and Phonak for one season - two of the most doped-up teams in pro racing. If he wasn't on a doping program for at least some point, it would be some kind of miracle. Nobody should be surprised. Probably 99.99% of dopers have never been caught during their careers.

Oct. 30, 2013, 12:09 p.m.

Vaughters [HTML_REMOVED] Slipstream operate on the forgive and forget model, not like other teams who have immediately dropped riders on admission of past doping. I'm thinking he 'fesses up, and puts it behind him rather than let it be a cloud in the background.

Oct. 30, 2013, 12:11 p.m.

Vaughters [HTML_REMOVED] Slipstream operate on the forgive and forget model.

Vaughters himself is a self-confessed ex-doper. So, yeah.

Oct. 30, 2013, 12:42 p.m.

Vaughters [HTML_REMOVED] Slipstream operate on the forgive and forget model, not like other teams who have immediately dropped riders on admission of past doping. I'm thinking he 'fesses up, and puts it behind him rather than let it be a cloud in the background.

Here's the question: do we all have shock and awe that he would have done it back in early 2000's, or are we all just disappointed that others fessed up and he chose to be silent?

It would seem like we've got the Millar's [HTML_REMOVED] Zabriski's of the cycling world in the come-clean camp, and then all these hold-outs who are silent or denying and that continues to hurt the sport.

If we learn the Haro boys, Ryder [HTML_REMOVED] Roland all join Mr Barry in the penalty box, you can see why a guy like Kabush (28th at Lugano) has had such an axe to grind for sooo long. Add in the fact that there's increasing evidence that doped legs remember, to the effect that even if you're not glowing, you're at a competitive advantage. The forgive [HTML_REMOVED] forget business gets weak if the reformers are still stealing palmares after suspensions from the clean team. You can tell guys like Routley are acutely aware of this if you read his column earlier in the year.

NSMBA member.

Oct. 30, 2013, 1:14 p.m.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/10/news/cycling-canada-concerned-about-hesjedal-doping-allegations_306627

Admits to the doping.

Oct. 30, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

Is anyone truly surprised when they hear these types of accusations anymore? If your were/are a pro cyclist in the major tours then it seems highly unlikely to me that you are not a doper. It is a part of the sport.

I really don't care.

What is starting to piss me off is all of the sob stories "it was only once" "i only did it for two weeks" "i have regretted it ever since" blah blah.; more likely that they have regretted it since the shit started hitting the fan…and now are scrambling to retain some sort of credibility around their achievements.

Oct. 30, 2013, 1:53 p.m.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/10/news/cycling-canada-concerned-about-hesjedal-doping-allegations_306627

Admits to the doping.

And a key part of the article, Ryder admits to USADA before it gets exposed in a tell-all book;

In a statement, USADA CEO Travis Tygart confirmed that Hesjedal told anti-doping authorities about his use of PEDs.

“We can confirm that USADA, along with the Canadian Center for Ethics in Sport (CCES), interviewed cyclist, Ryder Hesjedal, earlier this year as part of our ongoing investigation into the sport of cycling,” Tygart said. “Athletes like him, and others, who have voluntarily come in, taken accountability for their actions and have been fully truthful, are essential to securing a brighter future for the sport of cycling. As in all cases, where there is actionable evidence of doping within the statute of limitations, we have imposed discipline and announced sanctions.”

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.