rude roadies!!

Sept. 11, 2006, 9:50 p.m.

i'm barking up a tree, just pissing on one - lol

But isn't the tree in your backyard? I mean, how helpful is it to make generalizations about roadies, when you ride a road bike yourself?

BTW, how is that RM Turbo holding up? Keep a close eye on the chainstay bridge, that's where they're supposed to crack (I'm riding a '98 RM Team Scandium…fingers are crossed).

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 11, 2006, 9:54 p.m.

Speaking of derailling the thread… Happy Birthday Ninja #2!

Thanks…. 31 ugh!

I'm offically 30 something.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Sept. 11, 2006, 9:55 p.m.

But isn't the tree in your backyard? I mean, how helpful is it to make generalizations about roadies, when you ride a road bike yourself?

BTW, how is that RM Turbo holding up? Keep a close eye on the chainstay bridge, that's where they're supposed to crack (I'm riding a '98 RM Team Scandium…fingers are crossed).

lol - yes

the turbo is fine so far, didn't know about the chainstay crack - that's prolly why the dude was selling the frame. oh well, maybe i can find a connection at rocky for a sweet deal on crash replacement if i ever need it.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 11, 2006, 10:38 p.m.

the turbo is fine so far, didn't know about the chainstay crack - that's prolly why the dude was selling the frame.

Don't know if yours will crack, but just keep an eye on it. Switch was looking at an RM Turbo at Sports Junkies, phoned me and I told him to flip the bike over and look for the crack. Needless to say, he didn't end up buying the bike.

However, I've seen ads for RM Turbos so there are definitely some around that are still alive and kicking. I wouldn't want to do any type of pack racing on it though, for fearing of laying it down.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Sept. 20, 2006, 9:11 a.m.

All scandium frames have a shelf life so enjoy them while they last lads…

That story about hitting the brakes is ridiculous. This isn't Top Gun ("I'll hit the brakes, he'll fly right by"). How someone could be that much of an ass, I cannot understand.

Around here, we see a lot of the same people on our lunch rides every day, usually going in the other direction or coming up behind them because the guys I ride with are quick and we usually number 3 or 4 whereas everyone else is in 1's and 2's. Sometimes after we pass someone they jump on the back and usually stay there so we don't mind - so it's a bit different because our paceline is informal unless we're trying to clock a 40+ avg around the lake. Anyway, whenever they peel off they always yell "grazie" and it's all good. If it's someone we know we sometimes switch to 2x2 and chat for a while. Hell, there's lots of pros training around here all the time (Oscar Freire and Cadel Evans live here and many others) and they're usually happy to have someone else to do a few k's with. Anyway, when you're doing almost the same speed it's tough not to join up with someone. What a difference in attitudes, though.

If it's a training paceline you shouldn't jump in, that's fair. But I would have kicked that guy's ass in a big way - what a prick. Committing a faux pas is nowhere near as bad as deliberately taking someone out. A few quick words will sort someone out whereas taking him down is actually assault.

Sept. 20, 2006, 9:32 a.m.

hey i'll do the equivalent bike with extra weight thing if you want.

say does the body weight of the rider come into play? cause if i weigh 200lbs and you're say only 160lbs, you've already got a 40lb advantage on me.

That does it. Time to get all available help. Lets see ; EPO, check; Testoterone, check; Caffine and Ephedren pills, check; Oxygen tent, check; Surgery for larger heart and 3rd lung, waiting list

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 20, 2006, 2:28 p.m.

What a difference in attitudes, though.

Good perspective. The team rider was probably just embarassed that he didn't have the legs to ride this guy off his wheel.

All scandium frames have a shelf life so enjoy them while they last lads…

AFAIK, Mark's bike uses Easton Ultralite tubing, not scandium like mine. Also, the chainstay bridge issue on RM Turbos would seem to indicate more of a design/welding problem.

Pete, is it just generally accepted within the industry that scandium frames have a shorter lifespan? Easton's literature really only addresses the lifespan of scandium-al tubing by saying that it offers stronger welds from the tighter grain. (They appear to make no claims about greater strength and fatigue resistance, counter to the claims of some bike manufacturers.)

And wouldn't it greatly depend on which SC7000 tubes (wall thickness) RM chose to build this particular frame with?

Sept. 21, 2006, 11:07 a.m.

Hitting the brakes what a jitbag,hopefully his teamates gave him shit or maybe had him booted off the club/team.That's not good for P.R.

Oct. 13, 2006, 5:57 a.m.

2 friends of mine where out for a ride yesterday and saw 5 Coastal guys so they hopped on the back for a bit. 1 of the guys went off the front and one of my friends went with him. He didn't like some one drafting him and instead of him pulling off he hits his brakes and takes out my buddy who goes down. Coastal guy #1 does say anything but checks out his bike and when the other 4 come by they don't say anything or even stop and CG#1 hops on with em and leaves.

I was thinking about this again the other day. How about this for contrast: two days ago, three of us were out on our daily lunch ride doing one of our standard 45k loops around the lake. We were just warming up around 30kph and Daniele Nardello cruises past in his T-Mobile kit. We've joined up with him a few times before - nice guy. So we decide to screw warming up, we accelerate and get on his wheel. In the past he wasn't alone so we'd ride two by two and chat - this time he was clearly in the middle of a training ride so we just sat in. He knew we were there, of course, despite having earphones on. Anyway, rather than accelerate to try to shake us, brake to try to "teach someone a lesson" or give a glaring look back, he simply cruised on, acknowledging our presence by pointing out the occasional pothole or whistling at cars pulling out that might not see us. What a true pro - he couldn't care less if we had no trouble sitting on his wheel - he had probably already been out for 2 hours and had 2 more to go. Eventually we had to take a different road so we yelled "ciao, grazie!" to which he responded with a "ciao, buon giorno a voi" and headed on his way. No ego, no stress.

I still can't get over what a dick that Coastal guy must have been to pull something like that.

Oct. 13, 2006, 5:59 a.m.

Pete, is it just generally accepted within the industry that scandium frames have a shorter lifespan? Easton's literature really only addresses the lifespan of scandium-al tubing by saying that it offers stronger welds from the tighter grain. (They appear to make no claims about greater strength and fatigue resistance, counter to the claims of some bike manufacturers.)

And wouldn't it greatly depend on which SC7000 tubes (wall thickness) RM chose to build this particular frame with?

Sorry, I haven't had time to look into this to get a slightly more complete answer than my spotty knowledge can provide, but I'll try to get some info next week.

Oct. 13, 2006, 10:39 a.m.

Sorry, I haven't had time to look into this to get a slightly more complete answer than my spotty knowledge can provide, but I'll try to get some info next week.

That would be awesome, Pete. Thanks.