Road tubes exploding - questions?

June 23, 2006, 10:18 a.m.

Just curious… are you using the cheap MEC tubes? I made that mistake once and an exploding tube as well as a flat. They can't handle any pressure and when they heat up on a ride, kaboom!

I switched over to one of the more brandname tubes and havent had a problem yet.

I've been using the MEC house brand (they're Cheng Shin/Maxxis) 93 gram, 23mm tubes for over a year now, no flats, no blowouts, no slow leaks.

Kind of weird to hear about Armadillos not seating right on a standard 700C wheel. Usually people complain the bead on armadillos is very tight compared to some other tires (michelin, hutchinson, etc).

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

June 23, 2006, 12:59 p.m.

I bought the tubes at Bicycletta - forget what brand, but they weren't cheapo's (maybe specialized?). Maybe it's a thin tube, not sure. Will probably bring the bike in to them tomorrow and ask their opinion on what might be going on.

I'm hoping it's tube related as the Armadillos felt pretty nice. Although I suppose I could use this as cost justification on a new set of rims.

June 23, 2006, 4:17 p.m.

If the tire itself isn't split, then its almost certain that the tube was sticking out past the hook/bead where the tire seats on the rim. After changing the tube it sounds like you'll have to check the tire to make sure that the tube isn't pinched.

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

June 23, 2006, 4:24 p.m.

I've been using the MEC house brand (they're Cheng Shin/Maxxis) 93 gram, 23mm tubes for over a year now, no flats, no blowouts, no slow leaks.

Same here, been using MEC tubes on road and mtb with zero issues. I prefer them over the Conti tubes sold at MEC, which had some issues.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk