Road tubes exploding - questions?

June 22, 2006, 10:40 a.m.

So I picked up some brand new tires and tubes (tire = Armadillo) for my 6 year old Vitali. Everything on the Road bike is in great condition due to me travelling so much for the last several years.

I get maybe 2 hours of riding in (4 commutes to and 3.5 from work @ 45 mins per go) when the rear tube explodes. I assumed that maybe I picked up some crap on the road or maybe I managed to pinch that tube when changing the tires/tubes and it's been waiting to give. Change that tube, commute in to work, go for a couple of laps around Stanley Park then end up having a picnic with wife and friends on second beach. The bike has been parked for easily 40+ minutes when BOOOM, the front tube explodes.

In both cases, the tube ends up with a split down the side approx 3-4 inchs long and the tire is blown off the rim at where the tube exploded.

Now, it could very well be that I can't change a tire after 10+ years of riding. But I was pretty careful in checking the bead of the tire and ensuring that I wasn't pinching the tube.
A friend suggested that perhaps the tire/rim fit is not tight enough (tires were fairly easy to put on - could do it with hands only), and that pumping the tube up ended up lifting the bead high enough that the tube was able to get underneath it. Then when things settled, the tire pinched the tube and it exploded. Seems plausible, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to hit La Bicycletta and talk to them about it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered something like this?

It's got me a bit spooked to get back on that bike until I know the cause and can be reasonably confident that it's been addressed.

Cheers

June 22, 2006, 11:46 a.m.

Some obvious questions: Did you check for abrasions on the rim, spoke bed and the inside of the tire itself? Your PSI was within the range for your tires?

Can't say I've ever experienced this problem before.

Practically speaking, I'd suggest you pick up the cheapest road tires from MEC and try them. That should tell you if the tires are the problem.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 22, 2006, 11:56 a.m.

I will admit that I did not check for abrasions before mounting both new tires. However after the first one blew, I did check both the rim, spoke bed and inside of tire for any information as to why it gave. It also strikes me as slightly too coincidental that both gave out within very similar time frames (and so close to one another).

I'll pull both tires off tonight and give a real thorough inspection of both.

As for the MEC tires, I was running cheapo MEC tires on the bike previously and never encountered this issue (that was before the bike was hung up for a few years - the travel thing). Didn't like the traction of those tires (at least from memory), hence the switch…. I get what you're saying about trying a different set to see if the problem goes away (and therefore furthering the theory that it's related to the new tires somehow), but I'm somewhat leary of risking further tire explosions without some degree of confidence in what happened.

Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

PS - yes they were pumped up within range of the tire, I'm not that rookie ;) (but I know it did have to be asked)

June 22, 2006, 12:40 p.m.

I get maybe 2 hours of riding in (4 commutes to and 3.5 from work @ 45 mins per go) when the rear tube explodes. I assumed that maybe I picked up some crap on the road or maybe I managed to pinch that tube when changing the tires/tubes and it's been waiting to give. Change that tube, commute in to work, go for a couple of laps around Stanley Park then end up having a picnic with wife and friends on second beach. The bike has been parked for easily 40+ minutes when BOOOM, the front tube explodes.

Hmmnnn, try using some baby powder in the tire to help the tire and tube seat itself.

So many freaks, so few circuses.

June 22, 2006, 1:08 p.m.

As for the MEC tires, I was running cheapo MEC tires on the bike previously and never encountered this issue

That pretty much settles it then. It's obviously the tires and possibly with the way they seat on your rim. That's the most plausible thing I can think of.

Give away/sell the Armadillos and pick up something from MEC. If you find the new tires do not seat well on your rim, take them back to MEC for a refund, no questions asked. Repeat until you find a tire with a bead that seats tightly on your rims.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 22, 2006, 1:18 p.m.

Yeah - that's my feeling as well. Sucks though, I liked the way the Armadillo's felt.

Cheers.

Trout - how does the baby powder help?

June 22, 2006, 1:32 p.m.

Prevents the tube from getting bunched up or binding inside the tire, plus your flats will always smell baby fresh.

So many freaks, so few circuses.

June 22, 2006, 1:34 p.m.

Good tip - thx.

June 22, 2006, 1:57 p.m.

i'll take the tires seeing as you're giving them away.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 22, 2006, 1:58 p.m.

Yeah, I also do the baby powder as well (road and mtb). Although I don't think it would have helped prevent the tire from blowing off the rim.

June 22, 2006, 2:01 p.m.

i'd say cheap tubes and heat. heat from the ride expanding the air just enough to explode the tube. heat from the tire sitting in the sun just enough to explode the tube.

and the baby powder thing makes it way easier to swap out a flat and it keeps crud from sticking to the tube.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 22, 2006, 4:46 p.m.

i'll take the tires seeing as you're giving them away.

Heh heh, Couch_Surfer will never figure out that I actually have two accounts under different names, I've got him now…

June 22, 2006, 5:03 p.m.

Sarensho too? how many accounts does this Synchro have...

June 22, 2006, 5:18 p.m.

Sarensho too? how many accounts does this Synchro have...

I've seen Mark's tits and they are not that big.

June 23, 2006, 9:33 a.m.

Just curious… are you using the cheap MEC tubes? I made that mistake once and an exploding tube as well as a flat. They can't handle any pressure and when they heat up on a ride, kaboom!

I switched over to one of the more brandname tubes and havent had a problem yet.