Road Riding Tools

July 29, 2013, 1:16 p.m.

No, not looking for road riders that are total tools out on the bike, but rather this…

Looking to get into road riding, and want to hear what types of tools people carry with them on a ride, and what they recommend.

I know I'll need bottle and cages
a HP pump
Are saddle bags allowed? Seems like a good place to put a tube and multitool in, not really into carrying a full set of hex wrenches like I do while on the squish bike.

Also how tight is my kit supposed to be? I never watched the tour so Im not sure if the jersey should be painted on or slightly less form fitting? Ive got the bib shorts so Im good on that front, and will ride in my mtn bike shoes for the first while.

Reps for useful answers, reps for checky answers as well.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 29, 2013, 1:58 p.m.

No need to look like a full on spandex roadie if you don't want to.

Check out Giro New Road apparel.
http://www.giro.com/ca_en/newroad/#products

July 29, 2013, 2:01 p.m.

You can always tell when a mountain biker is on a road bike. We tend to forget we're on a road bike and ride through, over stuff like we're still on a mountain bike. the bikes can take it. The roadies like to point out every minute bump, curve, microscopic crack as if it were a 4 metre canyon. Back to the point of your thread …

Saddle bag is acceptable. All I have in there is a tube, two tire levers, and this multi-tool.

pedals, I use XT mtn bike clips. like this I still wear my xc mtn bike shoes for the clips. They're easier to walk in, because walking to the store to get a snack without slipping or tripping is nice. I still ride faster than a lot of other roadies with really nice gear, so I figure it can't really help that much more to a mere mortal.

bike jerseys, they don't need to be skin-tight. the bike jerseys are great because of the pockets, that's where the wallet, keys, food goes. A spare spare tube as well if you plan on going out really really far. I rode out to Squamish a few months ago, got a flat out by Britannia and felt really nervous about getting another flat on the whole ride home.

you can also bring arm warmers if you're riding in the spring/fall. winter i wear a jacket. in the fall/winter/spring it is a good idea to wear knicker length bibs to cover up the knees. you go faster on a road bike and expose your knees to a lot of wind. not good when you're pushing hard on the legs with cold stiff knee joints. no good.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

July 29, 2013, 2:03 p.m.

No need to look like a full on spandex roadie if you don't want to.

word. as the line between "doing a brevet" and "going out for coffee" blurs, roadies are more often seen riding in casual "inspired" gear and it seems like manufacturers are catching on

saddle bag is a great idea. i can't imagine wearing shoes i couldn't walk in, so have always used mtb pedals

high vol/frame pump ftw. trying to inflate a road tire with a mini pump is hell

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 29, 2013, 2:09 p.m.

Rule #29 and #31 :)

I carry a mini-pump, small multi-tool, a tire lever, and a spare tube wrapped up with a velcro strap in my middle jersey pocket. Velominati snobbery aside, I think a saddle bag is ok but at least keep it to a very small one - those things get out of hand in a hurry. I also carry a cell phone and a credit card or cash in a ziplocky thing, and any clothing that I will need (summertime means either no additional clothing or a vest for a mountain descent).

Road bikes are just more reliable given that they don't take the beat down of mountain bikes and you're usually a phone call away from a taxi should things go really pear shaped. It's not like mountain biking where you might need to get yourself or your crew out of the backcountry.

July 29, 2013, 5:08 p.m.

multi tool , pedro's levers , patch kit ( check glue tube often ) , spare tube in under seat bag .

mtb shoes , spd pedals .

lycra / wool lycra blend shorts or knickers on bottom , loose fitting jersey w/ pockets on top . vest if necessary .

forgot to add , hp pump . one of those mini floor pumps with the flip out foot . i got a axiom that only weighs like 160 gms . well worth the weight when you are trying to fill a high pressure tire . some guys swear by C02 , but i just don't feel confident without a pump . when they are empty , yer done :lol:

July 29, 2013, 5:24 p.m.

in my tool bag that i carry on 99% of my rides i have a pump,tube,chainbreaker,tire levers [HTML_REMOVED] allen keys…

July 29, 2013, 8:26 p.m.

Mini hp pump in the jersey pocket, in another pocket alway a bit of food on 2h or longer rides, road is wired when you are going, it seems that I need to eat at 2hrs and than I can go for another 2. Banana or Nutella sandwich is my go to food. Fuck powerbars and that stuff unless racing or really training specifically, it seems to me to be wasted money.

Saddle bag, yep unless racing.
Tube, patches, levers, multi tool with chain tool, bottle opener,and co2. I carry a spare co2 for friends and enemies that get flats(i get them from work, if you are buying co2. Just get a nice full size zefal pump.)

Lights, even clip on blinkys are great for when it gets low light and you are out drinking.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5013-171/capsul-case-wallet/?f=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=Case I bought one of these for a wallet and it is perfect, cards a couple bills and go. Phone in a ziplock bag as well.

Fitted jerseys are awesome, loose is pretty cheesy and doesn't wick well, tight is only really important if you want to save watts on your TT time, but srsly you will look like an over stuffed sausage. At least I do.

Spd's: you don't need any clop clop skittery roadie super patent leather shoes. They will give you a small amount of power transfer improvement, but if I poop before a race I get the same improvement in w/kg. the first time you buy beer and fall on the slick floor you will hate road shoes. I race once a week in crabon soled spuds and so do many of my teammates, they are faster than me and also value the walk ability of SPD's.

Don't waste money on super light tires, they flat too easy. Look for affordable excellence like Gatorskins or Duranos. You can do the odd gravel path and not freak out because you will not get flats as easy.

Road is ok, just different than MTB. I love it for leg speed and training. The distance you can cover in 5 hours is amazing.

July 29, 2013, 10:12 p.m.

Always hated saddle bags. I use a storage bottle and refill a single water bottle as needed.

Contents: One tube (in a plastic bag), glueless patches, two zip ties, Pedro's levers, $5 bill, smallest mutlti-tool that MEC carries ($8 Filzer), one folded up shop towel for messy repairs. Frame pump (mounts under bottle cage).

http://www.mec.ca/product/5017-613/filzer-i-tool-skin-e1-multi-tool/?f=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=multi%2Btool

I prefer fitted clothing, nothing worse than flapping on a fast 12k descent.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 29, 2013, 11:17 p.m.

I'd say depends how far you're riding… and how often.

If you end up riding a lot, and start racking up the kms, I'd go with the saddle bag. Something about having to load my jersey full of tools every-time I go out for a ride just annoys me. The bottle idea is good, but again, long rides, I'd rather have the extra bottle of fluid.

I use CO2, few of my buddies use small pumps. The small pumps are nice because they never run out, but the CO2 is a hell of a lot easier (until you run out).

I have a saddle bag, and have:
2 tubes
3 co2 canisters
tire levers
multi tool
chain tool
phone
keys
debitcard/ID/bus pass (in case i get really stuck)

I agree with sanrensho, nothing worse than your clothes flapping around when you're trying to hold a decent pace.

July 30, 2013, 8:44 a.m.

Oh the CB pump I carry in my bag for dirt riding is actually convertible between HP and HV, but I don't think it is very good, still probably grab a Lezyne, give the CB to my dad. I guess my Lezyne Dirt Floor Pump is no good for road tires :lol:

Maybe I should just take up cocaine:|

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 30, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

might save you a few bucks

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

July 30, 2013, 9:21 a.m.

aside from health problems, jail time and depleted finances there is very little down side to a solid coke addiction….

July 30, 2013, 9:23 a.m.

on the plus side is teh social aspect of rehab…lots of hotties…

July 30, 2013, 10:24 a.m.

Punky's new road ride. Firefly carbon/ti bi-laminate masterpiece with Enve and Dura Ace.