Road forum?

Nov. 28, 2005, 6:51 p.m.

OKAY I WILL GET FLAMED FOR THIS

I wear spandex shorts. sometimes even on a mountain bike.

so downhill racers wear skinsuits too. at least i'm not fat so i can get away with it.

And now for the real question in my post, does anyone else think a forum subsection for lower mainland/vancouver island road biking would be a good idea? I know many people do cross training on a road bike, but there isn't really a high-traffic local forum for it. Cycling BC has a road equipment for sale posting section, but not much of a discussion forum.

700C or death!

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:04 p.m.

I would like to see a Road Forum as well.

I just started riding to work last week on my mountain bike, with windbreaking lycra "like" pants. i.e. tight strechy stuff. Altho it's not lycra, I do look like a dork!

I'm am seriously thinking Road bike in the neer future.

700cc wheels are fast!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:04 p.m.

sure i think it could be a good idea. we could talk about all the cool asphalt we hit on our rides.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:07 p.m.

I don't know - it is called NSMB not "GVRD road riders". There's already singlespeed and bmx posts, so just make your own. Either that or they'll have to add a unicycle and tricycle section too.

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:11 p.m.

sure i think it could be a good idea. we could talk about all the cool asphalt we hit on our rides.

Or the car that did a U turn right in front of me today. My first close call, stopped two feet from her drivers side door.

V Brakes suck. Oh and road slicks blow on wet pavement!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:14 p.m.

Oh and road slicks blow on wet pavement!

try bald 23mm tires at 120 psi… crazy fast but it's like riding on the edge of a knife.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:14 p.m.

V Brakes suck. Oh and road slicks blow on wet pavement!

you should try them on icy roads.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:16 p.m.

add a unicycle section too.

okay!

from www.sbuni.org

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:17 p.m.

I don't know - it is called NSMB not "GVRD road riders". There's already singlespeed and bmx posts, so just make your own. Either that or they'll have to add a unicycle and tricycle section too.

i agree, if you wanna talk road just post it up in the biking section and people who are interested will respond.

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:17 p.m.

you should try them on icy roads.

Well I rode to work today, at 600am.

Does frost count?

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:20 p.m.

i agree, if you wanna talk road just post it up in the biking section and people who are interested will respond.

Not to be a wanker, but.

We have a Snow section, in a Bike forum.

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:32 p.m.

Not to be a wanker, but.

We have a Snow section, in a Bike forum.

Very true, however, it is in the NBR forum.

While I don't do snow sports myself, a lot of people hang up their bikes in the wet months and hit the slopes instead, so it seems reasonable to accomodate them.

I guess it's a matter of how clean do the mods want to keept the forums, because we could add a forum under NBR for virtually every other sport - luge, inline skating, sychronized swimming etc, and at the same time add road, unicycle, tricycle, 24"/26"/29" sections, trials, bmx, singlespeed, DH, freeride, xc, cyclocross, hardtail, fs, etc etc etc.

I think we're better off keeping it clean and just make a thread for road bikes if you need to (damn spandex wearing leg shaving… :o)

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:34 p.m.

(damn spandex wearing leg shaving… :o)

say NO to leg shaving… seriously, i wonder why people who aren't racing in european cat1 protour races shave their legs. unless they're women, in which case it's probably a good idea!

Nov. 28, 2005, 7:37 p.m.

I'm just teasing. My brother loves road riding, that's all he does. Personally I'd be afraid considering the quality of drivers in the lower mainland.

Nov. 28, 2005, 8:36 p.m.

Cool! Who's up for roadwork? We can meet in the median of the Sea To Sky Highway this Sunday and fill in potholes, build passing lanes etc. And then we can go to the pub after and bitch about all the roadies who ride the roads but never lift a finger to do roadwork. D.