Road Biking Routes That Involve East Van?

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:19 p.m.

(Ignoring the fact that I don't own any lycra, but I have bought a helmet with no peak…)

I'm struggling to find a fairly hassle free road ride that starts in East Van (Science World-ish). I normally head out to UBC area but I've yet to find any way through the clusterfuck that is Kitsilano. I resorted to riding along the Seawall passed Fishermans Wharf today as a way of getting over (or under…) Burrard, but it's still a pain in the ass getting to Spanish Banks without getting run over by a plastic surgeon in a Q8… Do I just suck it up, or are there any on-line routes to follow for urban road rides? I don't have to head to UBC area, but I do need to involve East Van as that's where I live.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 14, 2014, 1:50 a.m.

head east

go out barnet, lap up around sfu, come back via lougheed/broadway if you want to avoid traffic lights. lots of rolling hills for sprints besides the climbs.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 14, 2014, 2:27 a.m.

For the good stuff, ride over the bridge and out to Deep Cove via Dollarton, climb Mt Seymour, or head up Cap and enjoy a car-free ride in the LSCR.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 14, 2014, 6:47 a.m.

If you need to head out to UBC from Main, take W7th bike route. Plenty if good on street bike routes. Translink or City of Van have online bike route maps, as does Google.

Jan. 14, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

Yeah, I too find East Van a bit of a pain when I have to meet people there en route to rides. Best thing is to relax and not worry too much about the slow and go on the bike routes. I think your best options are:

South: Head out on the Ontario bike route to the Canada Line bridge for flat Richmond/Quuensborough/Annacis Island rides

West/UBC: The 7th Ave bike route or Seawall are fine but kind of slow. I think you'd be better just going through downtown via the separated bike routes on Dunsmuir/Hornby/Burrard and then cruising out to Spanish Banks

North Shore(1): Take the bike routes through downtown to the Lions Gate. From there, head West to Horseshoe Bay or toward Cypress Mtn. Or do a little jog over to 13 Ave. for a pleasant climb up toward the British Properties (you still need to use a major road to cross the highway). Or go East toward Deep Cove or the LSCR.

North Shore(2): Take the Union/Adanac route to the Second Narrows (optional take Woodland/Wall St. for a change of scenery)

East: Union/Adanac/Frances to get out to Burnaby and points beyond.

This is worth looking at:
http://jeffwerner.ca/blog/2012/11/classic_vancouver_cycling/

As is this:
http://www.translink.ca/en/Getting-Around/Cycling/Cycling-Maps.aspx

Jan. 14, 2014, 5:56 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'd not thought of 7th or cutting in and out of town. I've got an easy enough route through the Olympic Village and along the quiet back streets towards Burrard, but maybe I need to check out 8th on the other side of Burrard as I hate the ride from Vanier Park area out to the turn off to Spanish Banks. Plenty of other interesting stuff too. Just got to get a bit fitter!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 17, 2014, 11:57 p.m.

Cornwall isn't so bad. You can move north/south a block or two if you feel uncomfortable with the Q8 drivers, or you can just hog the road. Once you get past MacDonald it's better and after Alma you can take the wider 4th Avenue. Around Burrard, cross over a block or two south of Cornwall, zip along to the sea walk at Grandville Island, and then through Olympic village. Beautiful scenery.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 18, 2014, 6:49 p.m.

road ride that starts in East Van (Science World-ish). I normally head out to UBC area but I've yet to find any way through the clusterfuck that is Kitsilano.

Ride north up Main over the overpass right at waterfront past Crab Park under Canada Place up ramp down Pender (alternative - bear right under Canada Place past float plane terminal take seawall to Bayshore) to lap the park (short lap take Pipeline Rd.) out along Beach Ave. over Burard along that dandy new bike path they're building to around UBC from there you fill in the blank………..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 18, 2014, 9:05 p.m.

7th Ave is a shit bike route. It has a major dip just east of Clark that results in massively steep hills in both directions, and doesn't really connect useful locations anyway. Better to use 10th to Victoria if you're looking to get eastward.

flickr