Road bike tires

Sept. 13, 2013, 2:08 p.m.

since i put on the gatorskins i haven't flatted once yet. but because i cheaped out and didn't buy the kevlar bead i am not looking forward to a removal.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Sept. 13, 2013, 2:37 p.m.

since i put on the gatorskins i haven't flatted once yet. but because i cheaped out and didn't buy the kevlar bead i am not looking forward to a removal.

Exact same experience. The Gatorskin on the front hasnt flatted since i put it on over 5,000kms ago.

The ContiGP3000 I mentioned above (post 15) that I had on the rear wore through in a few months (July). Now I have a gatorskin to match the front. No flats since (1,500kms).

Jan. 9, 2014, 11:25 a.m.

Bump for a little help.

I’ve had some ongoing ulnar nerve problems in my hands from a ton of riding and a less than ideal fit road bike. I’ve rectified the fit, but I’m trying to make other small adjustments to ease the impact on my hands. I don’t think my current configuration will allow anything wider than 25. Does anyone have any recommendations for a comfy/wet-friendly 25?

I’m leaning towards Vredestein Fortezza TriComp (running them @ ~100).

Jan. 9, 2014, 12:33 p.m.

That Vredestein in a 25 doesn't have to be that firm, unless you are very big boy. I use that tire on my Pegoretti at between 85 and 90 pounds and it's a magic carpet. I weigh 195.

Good to know. I weigh 190 and was thinking that was on the heavy side for 100-ish.

Jan. 9, 2014, 1:57 p.m.

The tube can make a difference.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 9, 2014, 2:22 p.m.

Supple tubes and tires. Latex tube and a supple tire casing (anything but Continental). I've been pretty happy with my Vittoria and Michelin tires. Veloflex have a great rep too for ride quality.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 9, 2014, 2:36 p.m.

The tube can make a difference.

Supple tubes and tires. Latex tube

Yeah, I was thinking of a switch to latex. Any specific suggestions or just stay away from ultra-light etc.

Jan. 9, 2014, 2:37 p.m.

Yeah, I was thinking of a switch to latex. Any specific suggestions or just stay away from ultra-light etc.

be careful with that because latex can cause an allergic reaction in some people.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 9, 2014, 3 p.m.

I've used Michelin and Vredestein. Michelin are easier to work with. I manage to waste one Vredestein latex tube after pinching it during installation. Otherwise, I've been on latex for two years and have yet to flat a latex tube.

Ultralight butyl tubes such as the Vittoria Evo would be my second choice if you don't want to pump up every day.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 9, 2014, 9:18 p.m.

I get numbness in my fingertips. Adjust your seating position; get padded gloves; padded bar tape. Handlebar angle seems to me to be most important, and I don't have nearly as much issue after adjustments. Tires and pressures have less effect.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 10, 2014, 8:25 a.m.

I get numbness in my fingertips. Adjust your seating position; get padded gloves; padded bar tape. Handlebar angle seems to me to be most important, and I don't have nearly as much issue after adjustments. Tires and pressures have less effect.

I’ve had numbness in my pinky/ring fingers (both hands) since the late nineties. I thought nothing of it until last spring when I couldn’t even flatten out my hand. A couple cortisone shots later, I had the bike professionally fit and worked on my road technique. With the new setup, I can carry most of my weight in my abs, while my hands rest lightly on the bar. I’m leaving nothing to chance, tubes/tires included;-)

Jan. 12, 2014, 11:59 a.m.

With the new setup, I can carry most of my weight in my abs, while my hands rest lightly on the bar.

Holding your body position with your core muscles (rather than your arms which have more tendency to tire) should also help with your stamina on the bike on longer rides. It is also more efficient as it should be easier to keep upper body still and reduce the tendency to rock your body while pedalling (which wastes energy).