Road bike tires

April 18, 2013, 9:52 a.m.

Specialized Roubaix Pros in a 23/25 for me, but I want to try the 25/28. Fortunately I have enough room, but a lot of people are too tight on clearance for the larger tire.

April 18, 2013, 2:32 p.m.

Vredestein Fortezza 23c will not let you down. You can spend more on the Fortezza 3c but you don't have to.

April 25, 2013, 11:12 a.m.

A few years ago I found a bin of 25C specialized at JH for half price maybe cuz nobody was buying 25 so I got as couple and I like em cuz up here the roads are not the best, often the pavement ends and turn into dirt so if you want to ride a loop you might need to do a section of dirt road or some smooth dirt trail so even tho these specialized are slicks I find the extra size of a 25c tire makes a noticabley smoother ride with better control on dirt or gravel [HTML_REMOVED] I didn't notice a difference in speed

I run them with a little less air 90lbs instead of 125 … I'm sold on going wider

edit: 25C Specilaized Mondo Pro, nice tire

May 10, 2013, 9:15 p.m.

Ok got some Michelin Pro 4 service course 23c………first ride and very comfortable tire. I LIKE!

So far anyway…….8)

thx guys!

May 10, 2013, 9:35 p.m.

Ok got some Michelin Pro 4 service course 23c………first ride and very comfortable tire. I LIKE!

So far anyway…….8)

thx guys!

I just put the 25c pro 4 on my race bike…..

I'm not sure I like the big tires on my race bike, I will report back

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

May 11, 2013, 12:15 a.m.

I thought so. If I didn't race, I'd roll on 25's Pro 4's or Conti 4 seasons for something with more puncture protection.

and I'd buy online….

My brother ran the Conti 4000 - not good. He ran the 4000 4 seasons for a couple winters and they have been great.

We both use the 4000S during the summer. They've been good. Rolling resistance is good, side grip is very good, and I've only had a couple flats. But now they are getting worn out, so I just switched back to the awesome Kenda Kaliente that came with my bike (which are a harder rubber and also harder to mount). My neighbor (Sanrensho) likes the Michelins, so I'll either get another set of 4000S (cheap at CRC) or get adventurous and try the new the Michelin 4s.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 11, 2013, 8:15 a.m.

What rim width are you running?

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

May 11, 2013, 8:19 a.m.

(which are a harder rubber and also harder to mount)

Sidebar: anyone else just love the feeling of trying a new rim/tire combo out for the first time, and discovering that the tires practically leap on to the rim with no need for levers?

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

May 11, 2013, 8:21 a.m.

What rim width are you running?

Just the standard width.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

May 11, 2013, 7:06 p.m.

I have been racing on 25c tires for two seasons, the grip is better in corners and the comfort is nice too. My legs give out before any gains on 23c tires are realized

May 11, 2013, 10:15 p.m.

I run 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires on 26mm front, 24mm rear width Enve clinchers. The wider rims definitely make the tires fatter and higher volume than when run on more conventional narrower rims. I run 25mm tires on my Ksyriums because the ride quality of a slightly larger volume tire is very nice and definitely noticeable.

I would recommend Open Corsas. The high thread-count cotton casing is super nice.

June 9, 2013, 4:59 p.m.

Just ordered a backup set of the Michelin Pro 4 service course tires, love them!

38$ each on sale at biketiresdirect in Portland. Killer!:woot:

June 10, 2013, 7:47 a.m.

Sidebar: anyone else just love the feeling of trying a new rim/tire combo out for the first time, and discovering that the tires practically leap on to the rim with no need for levers?

I never use levers. Ever. And I'm running tubeless hutchinsons with the carbon bead. Not easy but the key is to wear full finger gloves for grip.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 10, 2013, 12:13 p.m.

I never use levers. Ever. And I'm running tubeless hutchinsons with the carbon bead. Not easy but the key is to wear full finger gloves for grip.

Does that include removing a tire?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 10, 2013, 12:44 p.m.

The benefits of good tires on road bikes is such a missed opportunity for so many. People spend a fortune on their road bikes and then put shit tires on them. By spending $50 more your ride quality could be so much better while reducing rolling resistance.

To start, tubular tires will always give better ride quality than clinchers but people seem to be too scared or lazy to glue them up these days. Also the cost of flatting is a problem…

If you are talking clinchers then good cotton high TPI tires with latex tubes is the best bet. Latex tubes and cotton casing 'open tubular' style will give the best feel. Vittoria Corsas are great but also check out Veloflex Corsa.

Continental will provide better flat protection but feel like shit. That's my two cents.