Road bike tires

April 13, 2013, 12:40 p.m.

Hi,

Need some tires on teh road bike. I am using Schwalbe Utremo clincher………any suggestions, what are you guys using?

I dont race, but dont mind a good tire (conti grand prix maybe?)

April 13, 2013, 3:04 p.m.

Michelin rule IMO. The Maxxis of road tires.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 13, 2013, 4:13 p.m.

I've been riding with Vittoria tires

http://www.vittoria.com/product/all-tires/

I ride with Vittoria Diamantes - they are durable and light.

April 13, 2013, 5:12 p.m.

Hi,

Need some tires on teh road bike. I am using Schwalbe Utremo tubular………any suggestions, what are you guys using?

I dont race, but dont mind a good tire (conti grand prix maybe?)

Tubular? And you don't race? Are you sure… I'm just checking cus it doesn't make any sense to me.

I've been racing for 5 plus years and even I have only dabbled in teh Tubular!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

April 13, 2013, 7:01 p.m.

Vittoria Open Corsa CX Sooooo nice

You dont have to race to run tubulars but I would not want to run tubulars as my only set of wheels, train on clinchers race on tubs.

IMO tubulars corner only slightly better than clinchers, where they shine is how comfy they ride and more resistant to punctures.

April 13, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

OP needs to define their intended usage, frame, and wheelset first!

I tend to recommend going with the fattest tires that can be shoved up into the frameset; the modern PRO peloton is mostly rolling on big fat 23mm wide rims plumping out anything up to a 30c tire. Cushy = fast.

I'm a a big fan of Continental's sticky natural rubber compound and supple 330TPI casings. The Grand Prix 4-Season is the best real-world tire out there: grippy under all conditions, tough, and relatively lightweight!

Pure performance/high-pressure 23c? Vredestein all day.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

April 13, 2013, 8:24 p.m.

Vittoria Open Corsa CX Sooooo nice

You dont have to race to run tubulars but I would not want to run tubulars as my only set of wheels, train on clinchers race on tubs.

IMO tubulars corner only slightly better than clinchers, where they shine is how comfy they ride and more resistant to punctures.

Generalizatons… all of it. Yep I'm calling you out.

With the selection of clinchers we have now days, tubulars are moot. The only, ONLY up side to tubulars is the rim that its attached to. It's stiffer, brakes better, and weights less. This has nothing to do with the tire…

To back this up I have right now
Clinchers (1500g wheelset) with 23c Pro 3s on. Race wheelset! Like this for all around versatility.

Clichers Bontrager Xlites (Old race wheels that are just about dead)Continental Gator skins 23c I use this on my commuter cross bike. Love these for the puncture protection.

Tubular Mavic Reflex, on ultegra hubs, Vittoria Open Corsa CX tubulars. I've had one flat on and I have opened them up and patched the latex tube and sewn back together. ( big nail, would have never sealed with liquid latex, and why would you want that in there anyways.)

Neuvation RL28sls clichers with Continental Ultras ( cheap, for training on.)

Mavic open pros on 36 hole ultegra's with Michelin Mud 2's Cross tires

In the past I've used:
Vittoria Corsa cx Clichers Loved them, sticky crit tire that gets cut up before they wear out. I was sad when I had to throw them out. Costly tire…
Contential 4000s Okay at everything, nothing special I like Pro 3's better.
Various other crap tires, Rubino's, Bontragers, etc…

Next tire Is Pro 4s 25c with latex tubes on the race wheelset. Waiting for the Pro 3s to wear out.

Clinchers now days are better than tubulars. Lighter, more options, cheaper, and easier to change. I've wanted to love tubulars, I have the best Tubular out there to compare it with, and in the end. Clinchers win…

Sorry to the OP for ranting and getting kinda off topic…

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

April 15, 2013, 1:18 p.m.

I tend to recommend going with the fattest tires that can be shoved up into the frameset; the modern PRO peloton is mostly rolling on big fat 23mm wide rims plumping out anything up to a 30c tire. Cushy = fast.

Bit of an exaggeration. Sure they run 27-30mm for Roubaix but most of the time they're on 23mm and increasingly 25mm.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 15, 2013, 2:23 p.m.

Bit of an exaggeration. Sure they run 27-30mm for Roubaix but most of the time they're on 23mm and increasingly 25mm.

Yes, and they're running them stretched out on 23-25mm rims, pumping up the effective nominal width to 27mm+.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components

April 16, 2013, 1:55 p.m.

Pure performance/high-pressure 23c? Vredestein all day.

My new favorite clincher, I just bought the Tri Comps a couple weeks ago and loving them, in the wet, dry and they roll very nice.

The one thing though…looking down on the front wheel they seem to have a smaller profile than 23mm, I would like to try some 25mm.

April 16, 2013, 8:11 p.m.

Yes, and they're running them stretched out on 23-25mm rims, pumping up the effective nominal width to 27mm+.

Really, last time I checked tubulars didn't just grow a bunch when you put them on wider rims. Unlike clinchers of course.

During the Classics we see wider tires but most other races where weight and aerodynamics are concerned 23c tires still rule but you do see the odd 25c. Zipps Firecrest wheels are optimized for 23c tires.

April 16, 2013, 10:33 p.m.

Really, last time I checked tubulars didn't just grow a bunch when you put them on wider rims. Unlike clinchers of course.

That's a great point; I'll start hitting up wide-section/tub combos with a set of calipers and see what's up!

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components

April 17, 2013, 3:56 p.m.

Tubular? And you don't race? Are you sure… I'm just checking cus it doesn't make any sense to me.

I've been racing for 5 plus years and even I have only dabbled in teh Tubular!

OOPS i should of said clincher! my mistake!!! haha

April 17, 2013, 7:28 p.m.

OOPS i should of said clincher! my mistake!!! haha

I thought so. If I didn't race, I'd roll on 25's Pro 4's or Conti 4 seasons for something with more puncture protection.

and I'd buy online….

April 18, 2013, 9:34 a.m.

i have 25mm conti gp4000 on the back and 23mm continental gatorskin on the front.

Road bike, mostly commuting, no racing (except racing lights when I'm late for work.)