Racing on Vintage Bicycle

May 18, 2013, 8:22 p.m.

I have a 43 year old Woodrup bicycle, in good shape and equipped with Campagnolo components. While I have ridden recreationally for years, I have never done any road bike racing and do not know too much about it.

Nevertheless, my school is starting up a cycling team. They say that anyone can compete, frome beginners to experts. Would it be completely ridiculous to try racing on this thing? I have always pictured myself beating a bunch of decked out roadies on my decades old bike that I bought for $11 at a garage sale.

If that is out of the picture, what am I looking at spending for a used beginner road bike suitable for racing?

May 18, 2013, 9:22 p.m.

People certainly ride local charity events and triathlons and the like on a huge variety of bikes. I've done safety checks for such events and some of the bikes are shocking! I guess your bike isn't toooo heavy if it's got Campy stuff on it (unless it's Gran Tourismo..) then it might be fine for an introduction, especially if you are fairly fit. Having to bend down to change gears will be a bit of a ball ache though!

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 19, 2013, 1:08 p.m.

fitness advantages will always out weigh modern equipment. I have raced older road bikes on the road and at cyclocross in the citizen class.

You will get funny looks and changing gears on the downtube can be pretty exciting as well.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

May 21, 2013, 2:41 p.m.

if the bike is mechanically sound , there is no reason why you shouldn't race on it . in fact , i would encourage you to race on it . that way you can focus on your fitness and the basics of bike handling so that if and when you decide to upgrade anything you get will seem like such a huge advantage you will appreciate what you have and what you've come from .

like cars , make sure the rubber is good and the brakes are fair . get out there and show those carbon / tech guys it ain't all about the bike .

let us know how it goes , would ya ?

May 21, 2013, 3:27 p.m.

I started racing on a vintage bike and don't regret it at all. It felt pretty damn awesome to win the citizen category at the Vanier cyclocross on this thing:

flickr

May 21, 2013, 4:43 p.m.

I rode a 92 Slingshot in the OreCrusher last year in Squamish. Farmer John 1.9 tires, canti-brakes that barely stopped, bar ends, deore components.

Have to say it beat the crap out of me, but it actually handled really well, particularly the old school tires. Ended up breaking the front axle at some point, but the QR kept in place, and I finished about middle of the overall pack. No way in hell I would race such a bike on a course with any significant descents, but for a trip back in time, it's fun to do.

Love that a few of the island races have a retro category. Might have to buff up the Catalyst for a ride sometime.

May 21, 2013, 8:19 p.m.

I started racing on a vintage bike and don't regret it at all. It felt pretty damn awesome to win the citizen category at the Vanier cyclocross on this thing:

You blinded us with those lights and mesmerized us with your beard.

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

May 21, 2013, 8:34 p.m.

You blinded us with those lights and mesmerized us with your beard.

:love:

flickr