pros and doping.

Aug. 12, 2006, 11:37 p.m.

how is it that no one has ever been caught before this whole landis episode. if everyone is as doped as we think they are how can they routinely get around testing?? is it possible that some teams are tipped off as to when "surprise" testing might occur or is the level of drugs and the ways to cleanse your system getting better or is it the tests they use are useless and inconclusive?

thoughts?

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Aug. 13, 2006, 12:12 a.m.

I'm glad you didn't post this on one of the other sub-forums. Hopefully it will keep at least some of the haters at bay.

Having said that, I don't agree with the title "roadies and doping." I suppose I'm a roadie, and don't dope. I don't think you do either. "Pros and doping" makes more sense, since doping also occurs in the MTB pro scene (XC).

For some insight into doping practices, do a Google search for "Jesus Manzano."

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 13, 2006, 12:55 a.m.

wow. reading some of these articles is eye opening. i knew there was doping issues but if what he says is true then its just out of control.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

Aug. 13, 2006, 2:25 a.m.

The dopers will always be ahead of the testers. But to put things in perspective, cycling is the most tested professional sport out there. It would be naive to think that testosterone isn't being used in other pro sports.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 13, 2006, 9:12 a.m.

Yeah, like football. Or baseball. Or hockey.

I read an article the other day that detailed the number of tests and conditions that pro cyclists are subject to (including a detailed 'whereabouts' sheet that lets testers track down cyclists for surprise tests held anywhere in the world - needs to be submitted something like 3 months ahead of time) and it puts the testing practices of the major North American sports to shame.

Money, pressure, greed, big business. It all plays a role. And as much as I think Dick Pound is a spotlight-loving tool, he doesn't to be too far off the mark (in his end assessment)… Actually, he's just a tool.

But, yeah, it seems to be a pervasive thing with cycling, and it's difficult to blame only the riders. Their entire support networks are culpable, and I think that's where the problem lays. Going after the rider only doesn't do much.

It's kind of like arresting an addict and expecting that it sets an example so the problem (drug addiction) just goes away.

"It's, like, so much fun."

Aug. 13, 2006, 2:02 p.m.

I wonder how many DH guys do it.

Aug. 13, 2006, 3:09 p.m.

^^^There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of money in pro DH racing, so I doubt its that prevalent. First, there's the financial resources needed to setup a doping program. Secondly, I doubt that most pro DH racers would be willing to inject themselves with doping products considering the relatively small payoff (winnings/salaries).

How many full-time DH riders are there in the world that make a living off the sport?

Aug. 13, 2006, 11:36 p.m.

This Outside magazine article just about convinced me that most of the pro peleton is doped.(go to page 7 if you don't want to read it all,he talks about how he felt on the bike after getting on a EPO program)
http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200311/200311_drug_test_1.html

Aug. 13, 2006, 11:47 p.m.

good read. thanks for posting that.

Aug. 15, 2006, 9:42 a.m.

great read for sure…now if alexi grewal cheated in the 84 olympic road race why isn't steve bauer recognized as the champ

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Aug. 15, 2006, 12:32 p.m.

He wasn't cheating then, at least not proven. Blood Boosting wasn't illegal in '84. I remember reading an SI article detailing exactly how the whole US Cycling team blood boosted, and had great results.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Aug. 15, 2006, 3:13 p.m.

I wonder how many DH guys do it.

I just can't see any upside to it. The roadies are doing 200km/day for days on end. There's just no recovery time. Apparently the dope is awesome for being able to get back on the next day and put in another 100%.

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

Aug. 16, 2006, 12:22 p.m.

^^^There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of money in pro DH racing, so I doubt its that prevalent. First, there's the financial resources needed to setup a doping program. Secondly, I doubt that most pro DH racers would be willing to inject themselves with doping products considering the relatively small payoff (winnings/salaries).

How many full-time DH riders are there in the world that make a living off the sport?

Yeah? I think it has more to do with "everybody else does it" that the actual payoff. If doping was restricted to highly competitive/high-return sports alone then why does googling "Human Growth Hormone" give 17.5 million hits? Think about the many high school kids (it is claimed) who use performance-enhancing drugs and fringe sports like bodybuilding (or just people who don't even compete but just want to look buff). There are baseball pitchers who have tested positive for banned substances. And this for a position where having a beer-gut is no obstacle to professional success. D. [HTML_REMOVED]- Not saying that DH riders dope, but if there was the impression that everyone was doing it, people could be persuaded to try it.

Aug. 16, 2006, 12:39 p.m.

"Put me back on the fucking bike" - Tom Simpson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Simpson

I first read that Outside magazine article last year.

As a strange postscript, the guy he rode Paris-Brest-Paris with on the tandem died while attempting the 2005 RAAM. Dr. Breedlove fell asleep while riding, crossed the center line and was hit by a truck.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Aug. 16, 2006, 1:07 p.m.

Yeah? I think it has more to do with "everybody else does it" that the actual payoff. If doping was restricted to highly competitive/high-return sports alone then why does googling "Human Growth Hormone" give 17.5 million hits? Think about the many high school kids (it is claimed) who use performance-enhancing drugs and fringe sports like bodybuilding (or just people who don't even compete but just want to look buff). There are baseball pitchers who have tested positive for banned substances. And this for a position where having a beer-gut is no obstacle to professional success. D. [HTML_REMOVED]- Not saying that DH riders dope, but if there was the impression that everyone was doing it, people could be persuaded to try it.

Absolutely agree with this comment.

I don't believe that ALL riders dope, but I firmly believe that the peleton, for the most part, is a level playing field. I have for some time, but- wow- after reading this article, I have to admit that the thought crossed my mind…I wonder what it would be like to feel invincible?

Lucky for me, my money is tied up in finishing my basement. :D

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.