Post up good places to ride in the Lower Mainland.

Dec. 3, 2005, 12:18 a.m.

I usually ride in Langley but im willing to ride in other places. Im looking for lower traffic areas and scenery is a bonus. im thinking of places out along the base of Sumas Mtn in Chilliwack and places like that. even city riding is kind of fun.

what are some "must ride" stretches of pavement in the Lower Mainland??

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Dec. 3, 2005, 6:55 a.m.

My fave streach of pavement is from 208 st down allard cres along the river through fort Langley then out to the glen valley area along river road. alot of the ride is along the river and most of it is low traffic as a bonus glen valley has lots of empty roads with fresh blacktop. It must be decent because I see alot of other riders out there and its in the middle of nowhere.

moose give up your langley goods

Dec. 3, 2005, 9:26 a.m.

Seymour dam road is pretty fun. Its short but a good workout if you hammer.

Dec. 3, 2005, 1:10 p.m.

Pitt Meadows - very flat, unless you head out towards Maple Ridge and go up the Golden Ears Park road. Another route is out through Port Moody towards Belcarra, which is more rolling and has a little more traffic. Nothing too scary so far though. Nice scenery on both routes.

Dec. 3, 2005, 1:29 p.m.

Marine Drive in West Van out to Horse Shoe Bay. One of my favorites. Well once you get past all the shops in West Van.

Dec. 3, 2005, 1:44 p.m.

Marine Drive in West Van out to Horse Shoe Bay. One of my favorites. Well once you get past all the shops in West Van.

I gave up riding that one on weekends a long time ago. Its fun during the week, but still scary, especially when you enter West Van. Good ride though. I usually come back on the highway. Another good way is to do the Cypress climb to the first look out from Horseshoe Bay.

Dec. 3, 2005, 4:05 p.m.

Here's a couple of rides from the White Rock border to Bellingham, it's about 38k one way. The top image is the 'fast' way, using the old highway 99 that parallels the freeway, the bottom is a slower, hillier more scenic route.

There's very few cars on these routes, except for people who live out on the farms. It seems that most North-South car traffic either uses the freeway or Meridian to the Lynden border crossing. On the top route I've ridden from the border to Ferndale in mid afternoon and been passed by a total of 5 cars.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Dec. 4, 2005, 7:22 p.m.

moose give up your langley goods

i dont have any real "good" routes. i have just been bombing around murrayville. a fun, but fairly short ride (at about 30km roundtrip) is from my old place in murrayville at about 224th and 40th all the way to the albion ferry and back. i find even though glover road is busy its got wide shoulders and im not super confident in traffic yet so thats a bonus for me. its a good little trek for me to build up my cardio and endurance.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

Dec. 4, 2005, 7:38 p.m.

Hatzic Valley east of Mission has a circuit with some good climbs and quiet country roads. The ride down to Mt. Baker from Abbotsford was always nice for a long day on nice roads too.

So many freaks, so few circuses.

Dec. 4, 2005, 7:41 p.m.

for the trips into the states how are the border guards for letting you across?? you ever get hassled??

Dec. 4, 2005, 7:44 p.m.

It was quite a few years ago, pre 911. We just told them we were riding to Baker, they told us we were nuts and and let us go. It was a ride lots of folks did so they were somewhat used to it at the Sumas crossing. If you take your ID I don't see there being any problem.

So many freaks, so few circuses.

Dec. 4, 2005, 7:49 p.m.

for the trips into the states how are the border guards for letting you across?? you ever get hassled??

very rarely - worst "hassle" I have ever had is a cursory 15 second look through my backpack. then again I don't look like a pot smuggler.

what is somebody going to smuggle in spandex shorts (or tights) and a bike jersey. not much room to hide something!

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Dec. 7, 2005, 1 a.m.

hey Flying moose

http://www.mapquest.ca/maps/map.adp?formtype=address[HTML_REMOVED]country=CA[HTML_REMOVED]popflag=0[HTML_REMOVED]latitude=[HTML_REMOVED]longitude=[HTML_REMOVED]name=[HTML_REMOVED]phone=[HTML_REMOVED]level=[HTML_REMOVED]addtohistory=[HTML_REMOVED]cat=[HTML_REMOVED]address=[HTML_REMOVED]city=surrey[HTML_REMOVED]state=BC[HTML_REMOVED]zipcode=

I used to live in surrey and a good ride was the other side of hy 10 ,56 ave to 125A ave down to stanton rd and down to the flats, a cool steep downhill 2 laner with trees and no traffic .then along the RR tracks to king george,across the freeway, along marine drive in south surrey down to the beach at white rock

Dec. 7, 2005, 11:32 a.m.

Definitely my favorite too! Ad a loop down to Deep Cove for a little Honey's action makes for the perfect roadie day:)

Dec. 7, 2005, 1:52 p.m.

Here's a couple of rides …
[IMG1]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/walrus0/whatcom01.jpg

[IMG1]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/walrus0/whatcom-route-west.jpg

Hey, thanks for using one of the products I build. It puts food in my fridge… and I use it along with a moto for scoping/scouting pavement to pedal.

Stop at Bandito's in B'Ham for some killer eats from a fellow rider BTW.

And, you oughta hop on SR9 out east of Bellingham. Runs from Sumas all the way to right near my house down here. And Chukanut Dr is pretty good too.

Ride More Bitch Less