Planning road rides

March 27, 2014, 8:06 p.m.

I'm looking for somewhere different to ride. Preferably warm and sunny and dry with little traffic. Thought about the Lillooet area so had a poke around on Google maps. Problem is, I can't tell which roads are paved v dirt.

So, does anyone in the NSMB hive know of a BC-wide web site where I can check road types, general traffic volumes and/or conditions?

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk

March 27, 2014, 8:48 p.m.

go to www.randonneurs.bc.ca and check out the " permanents " section

not sure what you will find province wide , but there are some routes around the lower mainland that will open up some terrain you might not have ridden before .

March 28, 2014, 7:51 a.m.

we've had some success out in the valley lately around chilliwack/abbotsford/rosedale…. somewhat flat on the valley floor, but you can find some climbs on the sides as well. I haven't made it over there but I also want to check out mission/agassiz/hope on the north side of the river as well. The bridge that crosses the Fraser on Highway 9 doesn't have a bike lane, and is a thinner 2 lane bridge, so I have been apprehensive about crossing it during the day.
During a drive to Kamloops last year, I was thinking it would be rad to ride some of the Highways out there as well. Highway 1 from Lytton to Cache Creek, then CC to Kamloops looked really fun.

March 28, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

This might help, I've found a few interesting rides with it:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/awesome-cycling-smarter.html

March 28, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

Hmmm, that dcrainmaker site may prove useful but was thinking of government GIS websites which covers federal, provincial and city/district roads, even if they just differentiate between paved and dirt roads would be a start…

Any ideas?

March 28, 2014, 1:27 p.m.

There's lots of mapping stuff here: http://www.data.gov.bc.ca/dbc/geographic/index.page

The Connect section has a Physical Infrastructure KML file that you can load into Google Earth that includes Road Surface data. I played around with it for a few minutes, and it overlays cross hatching on major roads to indicate the surface type.

March 28, 2014, 7:05 p.m.

we've had some success out in the valley lately around chilliwack/abbotsford/rosedale…. somewhat flat on the valley floor, but you can find some climbs on the sides as well. I haven't made it over there but I also want to check out mission/agassiz/hope on the north side of the river as well. The bridge that crosses the Fraser on Highway 9 doesn't have a bike lane, and is a thinner 2 lane bridge, so I have been apprehensive about crossing it during the day.
During a drive to Kamloops last year, I was thinking it would be rad to ride some of the Highways out there as well. Highway 1 from Lytton to Cache Creek, then CC to Kamloops looked really fun.

Mission has tons of great road riding. Keystone, silverdale, over the dam, miracle valley all good.