Palatable Energy Bars

Aug. 12, 2011, 12:13 a.m.

We covered gels in the other thread, let's talk about energy bars. Bars that pack 200-250 cals per bar.

I find Clif bars to be pretty tasty, but they get boring after a while. They also tend to be sticky on the hands, and a bit too chewy for scarfing down easily on the bike.

Powerbars (original) are the worst IMO, with the added negative that they do not resemble any kind of food made on this planet.

I picked up some Odwalla bars (200 cals) down in the States, and they were pretty good. Tasty, good variety of flavors from berry to the usual chocolate, and not sticky/chewy but also not dry and hard to choke down.

Since the Odwalla bars don't seem to sold up here, what else should I be looking at for palatable energy bars? Fig bars are a realistic option, but I'm not enthused about fiddling with a baggie on the bike.

Anybody found something better than Clif bars? Stinger waffles (hello tooth decay)?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 12, 2011, 5:17 a.m.

(hello tooth decay)?

didn't you watch the news? they got him, he was the one who kidnapped the canadian princess on the royal wedding…

Aug. 12, 2011, 8:34 a.m.

didn't you watch the news? they got him, he was the one who kidnapped the canadian princess on the royal wedding…

Which definitely goes against the tradition.

I'm a huge fan of Lara bars. They are mainly pressed, chopped dates with a few other ingredients thrown in. Most have two or three ingredients, some have a whopping 6! Tasty and have a good texture.

Aug. 12, 2011, 9:44 a.m.

No such thing as they taste lousy after a while.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 12, 2011, 2:08 p.m.

I bought a box of powerbars (chrisy vanilla crunch) for like 8.00, but i am having a helluva time going through the box. Should be called Crispy crap. Jesus - taste so sweet i can feel the sugar bugs building homes in my mollars.

I had a clif bar that i had for free - choclate fudge or something and it was yummie.

Aug. 13, 2011, 9:14 a.m.

I have been eating these Luna mini bars my wife got from an event a few months ago. I don't know if the regular sized bars you can get in the store taste the same but I find them tasty and less dense and heavy than Clif bars. Luna bars are apparently for girls so YMMV regarding breast development, though I am seeing wonderful results!

Aug. 13, 2011, 9:57 a.m.

y'all are a bunch of riders sucked into energy food marketing.

No one needs to pay two bucks per bar for is essentially a candy bar.

Buy a box of snickers!

Go to a dutch store and buy a ten pack of stroopwaffles for 2 bucks.

Honey Stinger sells one waffle for two bucks!!! insanity.

Just eat real cheap food. Hard to replace gels maybe, but go to safeway find some cookies and go ride.

never going to eat another shitty powerbar/clif bar ever again

Aug. 13, 2011, 10:40 a.m.

Buy a box of snickers!

Snickers.. the original energy bar.

Hard to replace gels maybe,

Easy.. take one gel flask.. fill maybe 60% with honey.. add a bit of water.. shake and voila cheap energy gel. Bonus is the sugar in the honey does not damage your teeth. And is way more natural then the other stuff.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 13, 2011, 10:52 a.m.

I'm a big fan of Odawala (juice is better than Happy Planet too), and Clif bars (cheapest at Costco 77 cents/bar or 80 cents/bar at the Bellingham Costco - still I find these expensive so I always wait for the discount week on these, then they drop down to about 55 cents or so - limited to 3 flavours though, and if I want the mint or some other flavour I have to pay $1.25 at Nestors).

You're paying for convenience really (else just make your own), so I might as well buy an Eat-more… and have a candy bar.

Kids like the Clif zBars they got at Halloween - only seen these in the States though.

Sunrype has a new nut and fruit bar, I find their fruit bar a little too sweet - not sure what these new ones taste like (not shown on their website yet - but they have them at Costco).

Just found this site: Calorie Count - grades different bars for nutritional value. Cinnabon Bar gets a "D".

Aug. 13, 2011, 11:03 a.m.

Know a guy who swears by Poptarts. But considering this guy thinks the Western States is fun.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 13, 2011, 11:38 a.m.

Easy.. take one gel flask.. fill maybe 60% with honey.. add a bit of water.. shake and voila cheap energy gel. Bonus is the sugar in the honey does not damage your teeth. And is way more natural then the other stuff.

tried that actually. Bought a small flask and filled it with honey, molasses and choco sauce. Was rather thick, should have watered it down perhaps. Anywho, this was right when I quit cycling and didnt need gel product anymore but im sure if I used it more it would have been fine. Cheap too.

I only ride slow now so just eat food.

Aug. 13, 2011, 12:40 p.m.

May as well shred up a card board box and drizzle with flavoured syrup. Has about the same taste as I recall from being a kid.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 13, 2011, 4:16 p.m.

Probar, i have not seen them for sale in Canada but i find the Koka Moka Probar tasty

Aug. 13, 2011, 5:28 p.m.

eatmore . . . the northshore dirt bag powerbar .

Aug. 13, 2011, 8:17 p.m.

eatmore . . . the northshore dirt bag powerbar .

Only something like 69 cents each at a dollar store.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk