pacific populaire this weekend

April 3, 2014, 9 p.m.

hey guys . . . pac pop this sunday

great ride and a great way to start your season .

an easy 100 km , or 50 or 25 if that's what you can handle , but a really nice anti-fondo vibe . sure there will be fast guys off the front that you won't see at all , but the majority are just riders looking to spend a nice day on the bike .

last year there were about 700 riders ( all distances combined ) and i contend that if half the fondo riders ever discovered this ride or randonneurring , you'd see the fondo numbers drop drastically .

check out www.randonneurs.bc.ca . . . forecast for sunday looks decent .

April 4, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

hey guys . . . pac pop this sunday

huh, i've been meaning to do this for years… sunday looks to be a great day for it, and your description of the event as an anti-fondo is pretty enticing

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 4, 2014, 11:18 a.m.

A bunch of us from my old job used to do this as a group ride every year. Haven't done it in a few years though.

April 4, 2014, 10:19 p.m.

yup , craig . . . i've been working on building a bunch of guys from the patrol and other mountain departments to make it an annual event .

keeps me motivated over the winter months to keep the legs to start the season on a 100km .

there are a few things that attract me to these things .

i think mainly there is a big difference in the vibe due to the fact that it is a " timed event " , as opposed to a race . there is no prize for being fastest , and the story of some guy who flatted five times is as celebrated as a guy who did a personal best average speed .

enjoying a day on the road and having to do a little bit of navigating with the riders around you is fun , and the control points force you to get off the bike for a bit of a stretch . when you head back out you have different riders around which can change the dynamic of the ride for the next section .

there are enough riders to be a noticeable presence on the route , yet not enough to be overwhelming . the fact that the route is not closed and riders must ride the rules of the road also takes the " race " vibe down .

and cheap . . . a day on the bike with others looking to have a nice day on the bike for 25 $ . everyone gets a nice pin when they're done .