North Shore loop - leisurely 10560 ft climb over 27.5 miles

Aug. 3, 2011, 11:56 p.m.

Thanks guys.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 4, 2011, 10:33 a.m.

OK … did an analysis using Topofusion's climbing analysis tool

http://www.topofusion.com/climb.php

The result is this

The data is smoothed using Topofusion's alogrithm that uses interpolated smoothing of GPS altitude, distance subdivision and minimum gain. Other methods are used too, such as DEM (Digital Elevation Model) which makes use of 3-d models of topographic maps. The methods all give total ascending of between 7600 and 8100 feet

The climb data is:

TopoFusion: 8136 ft
Straight GPS: 8140 ft
Straight DEM: 7605 ft
TopoUSA: 7638 ft

So it appears that 3500-2500 ft or so is noise …

GPS distance and time summaries:

Moving time 6:47:18
Distance: 29.1 mi
Average Speed: 4.3 mph
Max Speed: 36 mph
Uphill Time: 2:37
Downhill Time: 2:04
Flat time : 2:06
Uphill dist: 11.02 mi
Downhill dist: 10.94 mi
Flat Dist: 7.00 mi

OK … not exactly Alpe d'Huez, BUT, for what its worth, if you take the distance ridden uphill and divide by the elevation change over the distance ridden uphill, by the least generous measure (7000 ft in 11 mi), you get a grade of just over 12% … that would be like 1.5 Alpe d'Huezs at its max (reported) grade. So of, enuff with the Alpe d'Huez comparisons.

Aug. 4, 2011, 10:45 a.m.

Those climbing numbers seem much more accurate.

Like I said in my first post, I didn't want to sound like a prick calling you out…it just seemed that 10,500ft of climbing was rather large number for that route.

Either way we are blessed with lots of vertical in our back yard. Pretty sweet to be able to roll out your door and have more vertical at your disposal than you could possibly ride in a single day. So many great rides to be linked up.

Aug. 4, 2011, 11:03 a.m.

Either way we are blessed with lots of vertical in our back yard. Pretty sweet to be able to roll out your door and have more vertical at your disposal than you could possibly ride in a single day. So many great rides to be linked up.

word

Aug. 4, 2011, 11:45 a.m.

Bah … you misspelled "Lynn Valley".

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 4, 2011, 12:03 p.m.

Those climbing numbers seem much more accurate.

Like I said in my first post, I didn't want to sound like a prick calling you out…it just seemed that 10,500ft of climbing was rather large number for that route.

Next year's ride resolution - add at least 2500ft. (It is an annual epic which I do with a buddy who comes up from Utah). Could easily add ~1500 ft by riding to the top of Grouse. Other possible altitude additions - climb to Neds (last year's route) or Dale's or Severed instead of Pangor.

Aug. 4, 2011, 12:04 p.m.

word

Yeah Im in Texas and the biggest thing around is the uss Lexington in the bay, and its humid as fuck. What a craphole.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 4, 2011, 12:48 p.m.

Good work! I wish I had a map like that for our 75 km, 2300 m East Van-Burnaby-Seymour-Fromme-East Van last year. GPS wasn't doing its thing appropriately, apparently. No idea how we got the numbers.

I probably have the GPS track

that was a lot of road for a mtb ride :D

Aug. 5, 2011, 11:25 p.m.

On a 2001 Cove Stiffee FR hardtail with 3" of travel. From the GPS:

You're hardcore, but your bike makes it easier… ;)

What GPS are you using?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 6, 2011, 6:32 p.m.

nerd thread

Aug. 6, 2011, 9:24 p.m.

You're hardcore, but your bike makes it easier… ;)

What GPS are you using?

Garmin Forerunner 305 …

Aug. 7, 2011, 12:25 a.m.

Garmin Forerunner 305 …

So no barometric altimeter.

My brother has the Edge 705 and it doesn't have a barometric altimeter. I have an Oregon 450 as my cycle computer, and it has a barometric altimeter. When we ride around here on the North Shore, my unit is much more accurate with altitudes. We'll be by riding right along the ocean and I'll get a reading of 4 metres (which is right), and he'll get readings ranging from 40 metres to -15 metres. I know my home is at 120 metres, and his unit shows it as 60 metres.

These little GPS units aren't accurate for elevation. If you use something like an iPhone, you can get better accuracy as it will use Internet data to improve on accuracy. 3GPS for the iPhone lists my home as 117 metres.

The barometric altimeter works really well as long as the air pressure stays somewhat constant during the ride. Might be an issue for you on your mega hour excursions… ;)

I'll put in a word for the Oregon. It's not great, but I bought it primarily because the display is a lot bigger than an Edge. Got it from GPS city during last years Black Friday sale, and with the mounting bracket, cadense/speed sensors, and heartrate strap it was $380 to my door.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 7, 2011, 9:05 a.m.

Barometric altimeters and coastal mountains are a sketchy pairing. Pressure can change quite quickly here. But with Barometric, GPS and topo, you should be able to get a pretty accurate reading.

Aug. 8, 2011, 9:47 p.m.

the late Benoit Mandelbrot is not reported to have encountered mountain biking in person

http://www.ph.biu.ac.il/~rapaport/papers/11b-ijmpc.pdf

Aug. 9, 2011, 11 a.m.

nerd thread

Nerd thread? Really? I see a few big epic rides on the shore in this thread.