New vs Used

April 23, 2006, 10:46 a.m.

wondering if its better to go used or new when buying a road bike i know what to look for on wear and tear. but it looks like you i can get a 04 tcr 1 which is full carbon and full dura ace. for the price of like a 105 level new bike.

in my mtn bike experience used is the way to go if you know what your looking for. i assume its the same for road. :dizzy:

discuss.

brokezors

April 23, 2006, 6:46 p.m.

Used if you want value, but only if the bike fits you (sizing). Wear should be pretty obvious on a road bike. Road bikes don't get trashed like an MTB typically does.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 23, 2006, 7:54 p.m.

yeah it will fit me its a small and i rode a ocr small and it was fine
im quite psyched to get on the road program

brokezors

April 23, 2006, 8:40 p.m.

sweet. i was looking at getting a new road bike. instead i bought one used for $200 and i put that money into getting new gear like jerseys, shorts, shoes and a computer.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

April 24, 2006, 9:06 a.m.

Be wary of used road bikes' drivetrains.

Unlike a used mountain bike, if the drivetrain is worn, new chain,rings and cassette will run you $250 (tax in) if you're replacing with ultegra. Also a worn road drivetrain is way more noticable/ sucky than worn mtb drivetrain.

April 24, 2006, 11:16 a.m.

yeah it will fit me its a small and i rode a ocr small and it was fine
im quite psyched to get on the road program

Another thing to note. The ocr line is more laid back then the TCR. The TCR is going to be a bit more race oriented.

April 24, 2006, 11:49 a.m.

As James said, investing in some decent riding clothes/shoes will make riding that much more comfortable.

Worn drivetrain can be replaced cheaply with cassettes and SRAM chain from MEC (no need to waste $$$ on Ultegra). Replacement chainrings would set you back the most.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 24, 2006, 9:45 p.m.

fuck im soo caught i want a car and a road bike but not enough money i think that i might have to get rid of my ht damn im just getting it done too. and i cant face the point of selling my g spot. ugghh
gonna try hard to get a roadbike tho im psyched up to get on the program

brokezors

April 26, 2006, 12:29 p.m.

fuck im soo caught i want a car and a road bike but not enough money i think that i might have to get rid of my ht damn im just getting it done too. and i cant face the point of selling my g spot. ugghh
gonna try hard to get a roadbike tho im psyched up to get on the program

i would think with the price of gas these days that would be a no brainer. ;)

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

April 26, 2006, 12:51 p.m.

i would think with the price of gas these days that would be a no brainer. ;)

Plus you can get there just as fast on a bike by drafting behind a semi- on the highway (obligatory Breaking Away reference).