new shoes

July 13, 2006, 2:52 p.m.

ok my shimano shoes are older than some of the peeps on here so I need advice on what to purchase - don't really want to spend more than $150. advice?! also what to look for in general? my old ones are too small and make my big toe scrunch up so anything is an improvement….

July 13, 2006, 3:07 p.m.

What pedal system? Sidi makes a series of shoes with wide lasts (Side Mega).

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 13, 2006, 3:15 p.m.

I'm running the Shimano PD-R535 spds…

July 13, 2006, 3:24 p.m.

SPD-R cleats? Unless you can find some old stock, Shimano shoes are out since they're road models are all SPD-SL now. You need a shoe with the two-bolt cleat attachment.

Other than that, it's all about fit. Considering springing for some heat-molded inserts (SOLE) for a more positive fit, regardless of what shoe you end up buying.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 13, 2006, 6:13 p.m.

i got my shimano 151's off ebay for like 60 and there were almost new. they are nice and wide and have the pimp carbon sole

brokezors

July 13, 2006, 7:11 p.m.

Im running 1995 Answer Impacts. LOVE THEM they are pretty much new never used them when I got them.

I will soon eb moving to ADIDAS. they are AMAZING.

ADIDAS with the ratchet strap keeps your foot snug the whole time.

Take a look a the lineup of adidas

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 13, 2006, 7:40 p.m.

pearl izumi. most comfortable shoes out of any i tried.

i have the vagabond road and vagabond mtb shoe and they are great.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/shop.php?mode=category[HTML_REMOVED]category_id=7[HTML_REMOVED]type_id=2[HTML_REMOVED]sport_id=2

not sure where else sells them but I know BSP sells PI.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

July 14, 2006, 9:20 a.m.

Shoes…you'll never find anyone to agree, and it all depends on fit. Finding the ones that fit and looking on ebay are the best bet for scoring the right deal, but not if you're in a bit more of a hurry.

Sidi, Shimano, Northwave, any Italian brand - all work. I use Lake - they're a new kid on the block, but they've been great for me. I have a connection so I get the high-end shoes free/cheap, so i can't comment on the mid priced stuff but you may give it a look - they also have some availability in different widths and men's and women's sizing.

July 14, 2006, 10:09 a.m.

SPD-R cleats? Unless you can find some old stock, Shimano shoes are out since they're road models are all SPD-SL now. You need a shoe with the two-bolt cleat attachment.

Other than that, it's all about fit. Considering springing for some heat-molded inserts (SOLE) for a more positive fit, regardless of what shoe you end up buying.

yup - check out specialized shoes - they kept more of their shoes spd r compatible longer than shimano. I think the BG Comp shoe still is Spd R compatible, so check with your local specialized dealers… (dizzy or JH if you're on the shore, simons if you're downtown).

July 14, 2006, 10:13 a.m.

yup - check out specialized shoes - they kept more of their shoes spd r compatible longer than shimano. I think the BG Comp shoe still is Spd R compatible, so check with your local specialized dealers… (dizzy or JH if you're on the shore, simons if you're downtown).

I gots Road Comp and I love them!

www.steedcycles.com

July 17, 2006, 4:29 p.m.

^^^ yup - i went for the carbon sole - no added function that i can tell from wearing them, but it sure does look pretty…

July 17, 2006, 4:33 p.m.

^^^ yup - i went for the carbon sole - no added function that i can tell from wearing them

Helps you slip on your ass in front of others?

July 17, 2006, 8:54 p.m.

yup and yup. Especially when i have to run to punch in the alarm code in the mornings….(and have a bad leg).