Nanaimo to Duncan

Sept. 24, 2013, 8:53 p.m.

nothing " wrong " with the highway south of nanaimo , just a little busy with those cars flying by beside you .

Getting from Departure Bay to the Cedar Road turn off isn't any worse than commuting in the city. It's the Island Highway past the Cedar Road that is a bit unnerving with trucks roaring by at 120+ kph and debris flying around.

just looked at paulbs' route map . we didn't do the yellow point section immediately south of nanaimo , but i sure wish we had . taking that will cut out prolly the busiest , fastest , scariest section of the island highway

There isn't much difference between the Cedar/Haslam/Adshead route versus Cedar/Yellowpoint. Yellowpoint is longer, but mostly in trees (no ocean view) while the inner route is a bit more scenic with open fields. Both get you off the highway, and have good surfaces. There's a bunch of Strava segments too, if you're in to that.

Sept. 27, 2013, 12:48 p.m.

Everything went to plan, perfect weather, caught all my ferries, saw Killer whales, only took one wrong turn and the Highway out of Nanaimo was OK. Stayed on the Highway going past Ladysmith, so no cinnamon buns, but ended up catching the Mill Bay ferry with only a couple of minutes to spare so worked out well.

Some great roads and countryside. Had a bit of trouble finding the trail to access the railway, but the owner of the house whose land I was trespassing on kindly pointed me in the right direction - I don't think I was the first.