My first 100k ride(ish)

Aug. 29, 2006, 11:14 a.m.

Well I found Duncans tour de shore thread pretty inspiring so I decided to see if I could do the western half of it at a reasonable pace.

-Started at my house 12th and Cambie and headed to Ontario and Marine dr., rode marine out to UBC and then cornwall past kits beach. Got right into it with a fat latino bitch who was screaming about how I wasn't allowed to go as fast as cars. :lol:

-headed downtown to the lions gate and rode marine dr. to horshoe bay, no more grooved pavement thank god. When I came up to horshoe bay I almost decided to just exit marine directly onto upper levels but then gritted my teeth and went all the way to the ferry terminal just to include the climb back up.

- upper levels back to lions gate, started to feel myself fading wondering what the hell I was doing and why

-Did the nice prospect point drive through stanley park on the way home, shade helped me refresh.

-last hill from downtown up yukon to 12th thought I was going to pass out, made it home completely useless for the rest of the day.

So it wasn't actually 100k it was more like:

Trip time: just under 3 hours forgot to set the stopwatch
87km total distance
25.3 km/h average speed (same as Duncans!)
65km/h max speed

No way in hell I could have kept going for another 100k but I made some mistakes I think, I didn't stretch enough and no real food before the ride which is why I think I hit such a serious wall. My thanks to my roomate for the gram of mushrooms and loaning me his I-pod.

I know my ride isn't that impressive but I think it's pretty good for a chronic weed and tobacco smoker who drinks almost every day. B)

www.natooke.com

Aug. 29, 2006, 11:37 a.m.

you did well…sounds like a fun ride

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Aug. 29, 2006, 1:27 p.m.

:lol: the life of a burnout

Aug. 29, 2006, 1:57 p.m.

Glad to hear that… hey man maybe it will inspire you to ride more. Road isn't that bad… I loved the STP! Doing it again.. probably solo!

Dosen't feel that far does it?

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Aug. 29, 2006, 2:20 p.m.

:lol: the life of a burnout

I resent that! :mad:

I'm no burnout I do….stuff.

www.natooke.com

Aug. 29, 2006, 2:22 p.m.

Glad to hear that… hey man maybe it will inspire you to ride more. Road isn't that bad… I loved the STP! Doing it again.. probably solo!

Dosen't feel that far does it?

Dan

Ya it feels less far than it looks, when I was coming around past spanish banks and I looked across the water to what I was trying to ride to and I almost threw up. :lol:

I think I'm gonna do it again next monday but include a light breakfast with lots of sugar.

www.natooke.com

Aug. 29, 2006, 2:43 p.m.

wow good on you, good ride and yes you need more food - even as a non-roadie (still) i know that much. at least you didn't flag down a cab :D

Aug. 29, 2006, 2:50 p.m.

wow good on you, good ride and yes you need more food - even as a non-roadie (still) i know that much. at least you didn't flag down a cab :D

You must finish the ride. Failure to do so is not an acceptable option.

On a more helpful note. If you ever get to that point, we all have where we feel dead. That is where stopping and having a Cola and a cnady bar helps. More than once that saved my ride. It also works for the guy's in the Tour. Though they don't stop and take a break.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 29, 2006, 2:52 p.m.

hows it on the road with the zoomers?

Aug. 29, 2006, 2:57 p.m.

zoomers?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 29, 2006, 3:32 p.m.

They fly by sometimes, aint no thing.

A guy in a ferrari made a point of passing me uncomfortably close on cornwall and alma, did the whole bit, came up real close behind me then accelerated past as loudly as possible.

I caught up with him and passed him at cornwall and arbutus, brushed his car as close as possible so he could see me and was halfway across the burrard bridge before he caught up again. He pulled up in the right lane and gave me a double honk and the peace sign, I guess he was giving me props for being fast. :lol:

All this makes me want a nicer road bike sooooo badly, I love my miele but it would be nice to have a newer lighter ride with some STI's and maybe some carbon fibre.

and yes much more food next time, I'm not a fan of the whole stopping thing (if I rest I feel it messes up the stats) so I'm gonna pack a couple protein bars in my jersey next time and chow em in the saddle.

www.natooke.com

Aug. 29, 2006, 3:36 p.m.

They fly by sometimes, aint no thing.

A guy in a ferrari made a point of passing me uncomfortably close on cornwall and alma, did the whole bit, came up real close behind me then accelerated past as loudly as possible.

I caught up with him and passed him at cornwall and arbutus, brushed his car as close as possible so he could see me and was halfway across the burrard bridge before he caught up again. He pulled up in the right lane and gave me a double honk and the peace sign, I guess he was giving me props for being fast. :lol:

All this makes me want a nicer road bike sooooo badly, I love my miele but it would be nice to have a newer lighter ride with some STI's and maybe some carbon fibre.

and yes much more food next time, I'm not a fan of the whole stopping thing (if I rest I feel it messes up the stats) so I'm gonna pack a couple protein bars in my jersey next time and chow em in the saddle.

Keep the Miele. It's funny when you spin past guy's on the $5,000 bikes with all the stuff and you pass by them on your bike. I know guy's riding frames from 1989 who have added STI and will not only stay with the group. But will still beat your ass without even gasping for breath.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 29, 2006, 3:45 p.m.

You need to be eating more during your ride. Your body will only store 1200 to 1500 Calories in the form of Glycogen. Your body then converts it to glucose, the fuel that allows you to ride/train hard. If you don't replace this as you ride, your bady has to start converting stored fat into glucose. Which is slow, and poor fuel at best!

Eat better, drink 4 to 8 oz of fluids every 15 minutes or soo .
After your ride, within an hour eat a 4 to 1 ratio of Carb's to Protein. You'll feel alot better after your rides

I've had to learn this the hard way. I never thought food would make much of a differance, but it does.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 29, 2006, 3:54 p.m.

Keep the Miele. It's funny when you spin past guy's on the $5,000 bikes with all the stuff and you pass by them on your bike. I know guy's riding frames from 1989 who have added STI and will not only stay with the group. But will still beat your ass without even gasping for breath.

That means Zip.

I used to pass roadies on my Hardtail all the time! It means nothing, they can be doing light training that day (which has a heart rate ceiling) or they could be on the back half of a 200 km ride.
The only place you can compare old bikes to new bikes is in a Race. I haven't seen to many guys riding old stuff and keeping up! they are usually pack fodder at best! Lighter, better shifting, and more Aero will win 9 out of 10 times.

I'd like to see your form, while sprinting for the finish and trying to upshift with friction shifting.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 29, 2006, 4:06 p.m.

That means Zip.

I used to pass roadies on my Hardtail all the time! It means nothing, they can be doing light training that day (which has a heart rate ceiling) or they could be on the back half of a 200 km ride.
The only place you can compare old bikes to new bikes is in a Race. I haven't seen to many guys riding old stuff and keeping up! they are usually pack fodder at best! Lighter, better shifting, and more Aero will win 9 out of 10 times.

I'd like to see your form, while sprinting for the finish and trying to upshift with friction shifting.

STI meaning they upgraded to the new lever/shifter system. Not friction.:rolleyes:

Now settle down, you don't want to get out of your threashold there.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk