Let's Talk Cyclocross

Oct. 18, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

Did my first cross race this last weekend in Kelowna… Pretty fun… 57 racers in total, Bourbon bacon handups, good times, a challenging course, and a search and rescue show from the Coast Guard.

Oct. 18, 2012, 3:29 p.m.

If anyone wants to see what the potentials for cross is, come over for "Cross on the Rock" where average turnout has been near 150 racers. There's a Nanaimo event coming up that would be easy enough to ride to from the ferry.

www.crossontherock.com

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Oct. 28, 2012, 7:33 p.m.

I just raced my first cross race today, the Pumpkin Cross. And Cross kicks ass!!! Today was so much fun. Sure it was only 30mins long, but it kicked my a butt. I was pegged at 180bpm the whole time and loved it. Local Ride put on a really great event. CX racing is so family friendly. My 4yr old even dressed up and raced in the kids race. Kids racing allow will be the reason I can convince my wife to let me race more this season. I'm already trying to figure how I can add a CX bike to my collection.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Oct. 28, 2012, 7:44 p.m.

Mattbc, Nice work on the dually today. I heckled you at the barriers. The weather was nice, and almost all the races have great kids courses. Sven Sturm' s Vanier kids race was awesome and like the kids course today it gave the little ones something to do for the whole race.

Not a bad day out. I didn't have a mechanical. I got worked over on the long straights, and yelled at for giving handups to the masters racers that were getting lapped. A bit different attitude from the commissaries than last weekend when baconhandup was in effect and every one was taking a slice.

Oct. 29, 2012, 9:29 a.m.

Yes Matt, the Local Ride crew do a smashing job. I have done three of their events. Cross is intense. The most intense thing I think I have ever done in terms of full on output. I have always told new cross riders that the goal is go as fast as you can the entire time. You rest after. My pulse is high normally. I averaged 186 for the 45 minute events I was doing with a 196 max.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 29, 2012, 10:50 a.m.

Mattbc, Nice work on the dually today. I heckled you at the barriers. The weather was nice, and almost all the races have great kids courses. Sven Sturm' s Vanier kids race was awesome and like the kids course today it gave the little ones something to do for the whole race.

Not a bad day out. I didn't have a mechanical. I got worked over on the long straights, and yelled at for giving handups to the masters racers that were getting lapped. A bit different attitude from the commissaries than last weekend when baconhandup was in effect and every one was taking a slice.

Sven is the adult Race Director and cohosts BC's oldest cx event w/WestCoastRacing, but the Vanier kids race was an all Steed/Cressmen affair and was indeed, well received. Not trying to be picky here, but rather making sure their hard work [HTML_REMOVED] generosity goes noticed.

Glad to hear so many mtb'ers are discovering cross. I highly recommend not looking at your HR during a cx race as no good has ever come from that.

Both Local Ride [HTML_REMOVED] Atomic crews have done terrific jobs in race organizing the past 2 weekends. Reg table's were tight, courses were dialed and all the racers I talked to were happy with the experience. While Mahon is closeby and fun, I'd be stoked to see Atomic re-activate their Aldergrove venue as it had a proper runup, fun woody mach-chicken section and tricky descent - all rare elements in the current series.

The idea of having some day-of, some Karelo and some CCN registration seems unnecessary. Would be nice to have one-stop shop in 2013 to reg. I know SquashBC handles it on behalf of event organizers, so don't see why CBC hasn't done the same. CotR has it consolodated as well across all series races. Not sure why the lower mainland race reg [HTML_REMOVED] calender updates need be such a mashup. If lower mainland series goes under non-CBC umbrella (a la CotR) in 2013, I'd be stoked.

NSMBA member.

Oct. 31, 2012, 7:34 p.m.

Sven is the adult Race Director and cohosts BC's oldest cx event w/WestCoastRacing, but the Vanier kids race was an all Steed/Cressmen affair and was indeed, well received. Not trying to be picky here, but rather making sure their hard work [HTML_REMOVED] generosity goes noticed.

Glad to hear so many mtb'ers are discovering cross. I highly recommend not looking at your HR during a cx race as no good has ever come from that.

Both Local Ride [HTML_REMOVED] Atomic crews have done terrific jobs in race organizing the past 2 weekends. Reg table's were tight, courses were dialed and all the racers I talked to were happy with the experience. While Mahon is closeby and fun, I'd be stoked to see Atomic re-activate their Aldergrove venue as it had a proper runup, fun woody mach-chicken section and tricky descent - all rare elements in the current series.

The idea of having some day-of, some Karelo and some CCN registration seems unnecessary. Would be nice to have one-stop shop in 2013 to reg. I know SquashBC handles it on behalf of event organizers, so don't see why CBC hasn't done the same. CotR has it consolodated as well across all series races. Not sure why the lower mainland race reg [HTML_REMOVED] calender updates need be such a mashup. If lower mainland series goes under non-CBC umbrella (a la CotR) in 2013, I'd be stoked.

Thanks for the compliments on the Mahon race and Aldergrove Lake. I'm hoping to get that race going again. We've got a lot of people interested in organizing races for next year. With all the nonsense happening at CBC I guarantee that there will be a calendar up early this year and more races. Look out for a race in Squamish, perhaps one in Tsawassen and hopefully Aldergrove.

My goal is to provide some form of consistency to the series next year. Whether its the website,results,registration, timing, quality of event or sponsorship to grow the sport we need to provide an outstanding product to the racers. In return we need the racers to be our advertising and get their friends, partners and kids out racing as well.

Jeff

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Nov. 1, 2012, 9:47 a.m.

Cotr does their own results and points system, same as was setup for Island Cup Series. Online registration was also setup with an island based company. All races are coordinated through Norm Thibault and then a local club organizes the actual event (Norm has a trailer with all the supplies)

Works super slick, great turnouts, lots of spectators.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 1, 2012, 1:01 p.m.

Hey Hooli,
Do you have any more info on the Dec 1 race? Is it a Daryl Evans race at the Semiamhoo High? I just want another local SS race after the EV GP on the foreshore on the 10th.

Nov. 2, 2012, 9 a.m.

Hey Hooli,
Do you have any more info on the Dec 1 race? Is it a Daryl Evans race at the Semiamhoo High? I just want another local SS race after the EV GP on the foreshore on the 10th.

Yes, it's the regular Daryl-Evans race at the usual location around the softball/soccer/rugby fields.

:canada: :england:

Nov. 2, 2012, 10:36 a.m.

My goal is to provide some form of consistency to the series next year. Whether its the website,results,registration, timing, quality of event or sponsorship to grow the sport we need to provide an outstanding product to the racers. In return we need the racers to be our advertising and get their friends, partners and kids out racing as well.

Jeff

One thing my wife noticed at the Pumpkin Cross was all the kids. We had met up with another friend who came to race as well. After some uncomfortable discussion, he came by him self and left his 3 kids at home because his wife wasn't interest in coming out.

It appears the average CX racers is thirt/fourty somethings with kids. If organizers had some sort child minding program, lead by a teen, you might get more racers out. Im sure there are some wives that don't want to come out to races and don't want to be saddled with the kids at home while the dads are off racing for 4hrs. So the dads don't make it out.

The child minding would really only be for 30-45mins at a time while the race is going on. Seeing CX racing is pretty self contained it wouldn't be hard to set something up with activies of sorts in the middle of the course or near registration. Just a thought.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Nov. 2, 2012, 11:13 a.m.

One thing my wife noticed at the Pumpkin Cross was all the kids. We had met up with another friend who came to race as well. After some uncomfortable discussion, he came by him self and left his 3 kids at home because his wife wasn't interest in coming out.

It appears the average CX racers is thirt/fourty somethings with kids. If organizers had some sort child minding program, lead by a teen, you might get more racers out. Im sure there are some wives that don't want to come out to races and don't want to be saddled with the kids at home while the dads are off racing for 4hrs. So the dads don't make it out.

The child minding would really only be for 30-45mins at a time while the race is going on. Seeing CX racing is pretty self contained it wouldn't be hard to set something up with activies of sorts in the middle of the course or near registration. Just a thought.

Sounds fun. What the hell is a "handup?"

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 2, 2012, 12:34 p.m.

stuff handed to you during the race, but fun
water could count, but think bacon or candy

Nov. 2, 2012, 1:20 p.m.

stuff handed to you during the race, but fun
water could count, but think bacon or candy

water is illegal if the temp [HTML_REMOVED] 21C

so think bacon or candy
whiskey
rum
beer

but, no water!!!!!!

Nov. 2, 2012, 1:25 p.m.

http://www.thebestbikeblogever.com/2011/10/handout-on-cyclocross-hand-ups.html

Continuing off the post you quoted: a child hanging out in the infield is not a good candidate for a handup, at least not one over 20lbs (according to the above link).

:-)