Let's Talk Cyclocross

Sept. 10, 2012, 1:35 p.m.

tom , i'd leave the trailer at home for race days , or at the very least , kick the kids out while you are actually racing .

but serious , those gear numbers sound all right to me [HTML_REMOVED]

Sept. 10, 2012, 2:17 p.m.

My legs are telling me a different story. I may have to try a 11-32 cassette…or a triple shudders

Sept. 10, 2012, 2:38 p.m.

If you are running compact cranks, I would go to a 34 front and the 27 rear should be enought. Otherwise SRAM Apex with the 11-32 would be another option.

Sept. 10, 2012, 3:05 p.m.

I picked up an 11-36 cassette and will use an xt derailleur I have laying around…we'll see how that goes.

Sept. 10, 2012, 4:24 p.m.

Abbotsford, Saturday, is the course worth the drive?

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Sept. 10, 2012, 5:28 p.m.

Abbotsford, Saturday, is the course worth the drive?

New course… so no idea.

First BC Cup though… so going to make the trek. Then head to the Island later that day for the Victoria CX where I will get owned by the Island guys.

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Sept. 14, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

do this

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Sept. 14, 2012, 11:35 p.m.

do this

I love this course, although I am faced with the choice of master 30-39 or cat 4 and I think that it will be masters due to dollar/duration ratio.

Sept. 15, 2012, 12:13 a.m.

Going to ride over and do some spectating. Good luck to everyone racing.

Sept. 15, 2012, 7:55 p.m.

Surprised there's no chit chat in here about the race today out in Abby … I'll get 'er started. Was a first year event by a new promoter/organizer and it showed. Regi was disorganized (long lines), no callups, races didn't run on schedule and ran too long (masters 1/2 went for 60 min instead of 45 min), and the course was crap IMO. To top it all off, it was $35 when AA two weeks ago was $25. Not sure how this made it into the BC Cup series with a new promoter but I won't be going back next year if it's the same course/organizer. Hate that this is how I came away from this event … went out there to support the sport locally and this race, but it clearly wasn't worth it.

Hopefully others who raced had a better experience … not sure though cause I heard quite a bit of grumbling. Looking forward to the two city races in 2 wks .. always a great event for those two!

:canada: :england:

Sept. 15, 2012, 9:27 p.m.

Yeah not best definitley wasn't feeling the course. On the plus side I got some racing under my belt and made it back to Vancouver in under an hour, shame I've got remove all that grass from my gears

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Sept. 16, 2012, 1:52 p.m.

The only reason that yesterday's race was a BC Cup, was that the organizer works for Cycling BC. and It was a promo tie in to the BMX Supercross event. I didn't race it so I can't comment on the course or how it was run, but it looked a bit rough from the photo's.

Sept. 16, 2012, 9:16 p.m.

Whoa, my body and my bike are beaten up from yesterday.

It ran 1 - 1.5 hours late, which wasn't so good if you have kids, or didn't plan on standing out in the sun all day. And the course was just wasn't that fun to ride. I like a good 45 minutes - 1 hour of abuse, but that course was way too rough, without any good technical sections. And those hecklers on the third run up/climb almost made me cry.

I'd think twice about going again next year, unless some big changes are made.

Sept. 16, 2012, 9:32 p.m.

Surprised there's no chit chat in here about the race today out in Abby … I'll get 'er started. Was a first year event by a new promoter/organizer and it showed. Regi was disorganized (long lines), no callups, races didn't run on schedule and ran too long (masters 1/2 went for 60 min instead of 45 min), and the course was crap IMO. To top it all off, it was $35 when AA two weeks ago was $25. Not sure how this made it into the BC Cup series with a new promoter but I won't be going back next year if it's the same course/organizer. Hate that this is how I came away from this event … went out there to support the sport locally and this race, but it clearly wasn't worth it.

Hopefully others who raced had a better experience … not sure though cause I heard quite a bit of grumbling. Looking forward to the two city races in 2 wks .. always a great event for those two!

like onegear said it was a bc cup race because cycling bc put it on. kind of a kick in the teeth and balls for me when 3 years ago i had a bc cup race, then was told that my race didntmeet the standards` and was removed from the schedule. this is why we will almost certainly be doing our own thing next year.

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Sept. 17, 2012, 9:51 a.m.

Whoa, my body and my bike are beaten up from yesterday.

It ran 1 - 1.5 hours late, which wasn't so good if you have kids, or didn't plan on standing out in the sun all day. And the course was just wasn't that fun to ride. I like a good 45 minutes - 1 hour of abuse, but that course was way too rough, without any good technical sections. And those hecklers on the third run up/climb almost made me cry.

I'd think twice about going again next year, unless some big changes are made.

that is where the hecklers were hanging out. well, there and my wife and Andrew heckling me near the start line..

that was a hard race, a maze of white tape. I wanted much more power than I had for the upper section, and my legs felt the effort during this morning's commute