Let's Talk Cyclocross

Aug. 6, 2010, 4:14 p.m.

Would a CX bike be sized the same way as a roadbike? I would think that maybe you go a bit smaller given the hopping on and off, and such?

Aug. 6, 2010, 5:30 p.m.

^^Normally you'd ride the same size frame as on the road or possibly one size smaller if you're on the edge fit wise. It's important to be able to shoulder the bike. If the frame size is too small shouldering the bike is not comfortable at all. I know this from experience. In regard to hopping on and off-that will be limited by your seat height, which be the same on either frame size. Handling will also be affected because you'll be putting a longer stem on to accommodate the shorter top tube on a smaller frame.

Aug. 6, 2010, 9:34 p.m.

Cheers….

Another question: what are typical bar widths?

Aug. 7, 2010, 9:50 a.m.

Cheers….

Another question: what are typical bar widths?

Bar width is sized based on your shoulder width, same as road. The only difference with cx race rig bars is that some prefer the classic round-bend drops instead of the ergo-bend roadie stuff.

NSMBA member.

Aug. 8, 2010, 7:35 p.m.

I think UCI wanted to curb the move to have multiple tires already mounted and ready for races. Pros would show up with 20 wheels with various sizes and tread patterns all glued up and ready to race. By eliminating the larger sizes that will in theory eliminate the "need" to have so many wheels or the advantage that the rich teams have to be able to have $60,000 of wheels tires and cassettes per rider. So now all the privateers that have already invested in so called wide 35c and greater tires have a bunch of training tires. I'll run my 34c Hutchisons this year as I have a 6 of them, two pair used and one new for racing. It sounds like the 1 and 2 riders might get checked but us pack fodder are likely safe. If I get called on it, I'll simply quit and complain to CBC and then to UCI. As far as I am concerned it is moronic. If anyone thinks a fatter tire is somehow making the sport too expensive they need to give their head a shake.

I mean if they want to keep it real for the lowly privateer, limit the number of wheels a rider can bring to an event. Ban carbon wheels. Or at least give a season so riders can use up old fat tires. Shit fat tires are faster anyway so why not state that tires must be over 34c in size. And legs cannot be shaved. And anyone caught actually training will be banned for two weeks for their health,

Wow! I've kept my mouth shut for a while now, but this thread with your whinny posts are bugging me.

SUCK IT UP PRINCESS! There no place for whining in cross!

I could care less about the new rules cus they don't apply to most of us. Read only Cat1/2's and the provincials race, and maybe masters, the last one is debatable.

Rules are rules. Change is good, being stagnant is for old duffers in retirement homes. You need to get over it.

/end of rant about a rant!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 8, 2010, 10:24 p.m.

Wow! I've kept my mouth shut for a while now, but this thread with your whinny posts are bugging me.

SUCK IT UP PRINCESS! There no place for whining in cross!

I could care less about the new rules cus they don't apply to most of us. Read only Cat1/2's and the provincials race, and maybe masters, the last one is debatable.

Rules are rules. Change is good, being stagnant is for old duffers in retirement homes. You need to get over it.

/end of rant about a rant!

Why?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 8, 2010, 11:06 p.m.

And thus begins the grumpy old men of cyclocross technical debate.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 9, 2010, 8:30 a.m.

The rule:

"1. The maximum width of the tire is set at 33 mm, measured at the widest part of the tire. (In BC, this is highly recommended for Cat 1/2 but will not disqualify any rider with 34 mm tire width)"

Brother, I pay my money for a UCI licence and have for nearly 30 years. That gives me a right to complain about my governing body. Just like if you vote you get to complain about the government. I do race masters and I may race the provincials.

Now since wider cross tires seem to be something relatively new, how do rules that attempt to keep it the same equal change?

It appears that the rule may be applied to cat 1 [HTML_REMOVED] 2 only but it doesn't state with any certainty that it won't apply to lesser categories.

Aug. 9, 2010, 9:37 a.m.

Any info that could be invaluable to a cyclocross n00b?

Aug. 9, 2010, 10:56 a.m.

go forward really fast. if something gets in your way turn. or hop over it.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Aug. 9, 2010, 11:18 a.m.

Puking is normal.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 9, 2010, 11:34 a.m.

go forward really fast. if something gets in your way turn. or hop over it.

Could you explain this in more detail? Im struggling with this 'fast' concept. :lol:

I guess my question was more so… just starting out, are some races better to go to than others? any to avoid? Im not 100% clear on the Category system. Do the noobz always start in 4 and work there way up? Do you work up within a season or just after a season (if at all).

and more gear related, what kind of clip's do people typically use? spds?

Aug. 9, 2010, 12:05 p.m.

Pedal wise SPD's or the various knock offs are what people generally use.

Gearing, that's a hard one as everyone somewhat has their prefrences.

Category wise, everyone starts at the bottom in what is pretty much beginners as their is a bit of a learning curve.

If you can find one, there is usually a a weekly training group starting shortly. It's pretty much the Cross version of the week night ride. Good place to learn some of the techniques in a non eyes in the back of head oxygen debt environment.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 9, 2010, 12:08 p.m.

Yes people ride cross country mtb pedals and shoes. Toe studs are good idea for many courses. You'll see lots of XT/XTR and Eggbeaters. Mud isn't generally as bad around here as it is other places but there are some courses like Aldor Acres where there can be issues. Eggbeaters are supposed be really good when it's muddy. And they are really light. But if you already have a set of pedals and shoes just use those.

There really aren't that many races in the lower mainland so I would suggest doing them all. You start in the lowest category if you have no racing experience of any kind but if say you race expert XC or cat three road place yourself accordingly. If you find that you win the first race by a significant margin I think you should move yourself up if they allow you.

Cross races are short. top level is about 1 hour and shorter for masters at 45 and 1/2 hour for the beginners. That means that you go all out the entire race. Very little resting goes on. It's not so much who is fastest as who slows down the least. That said often the mountain bikers have better handling and have that advantage. Last year at Brighton for example I could ride the sand whereas others could not. I could pass in the sand pit and put a gap on those that had to remount with sandy cleats which can be difficult.

Aug. 9, 2010, 1:37 p.m.

^ very helpful..

Ive looked on the cycling BC website… and the details seem to be a bit murky. If i want to race.. I need a UCI license right? And then does each race come with an additional fee? What about the doing the races on the island?